Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Satnav for Android (free?)
  • aracer
    Free Member

I’ve finally joined the 21st century – any recommendations for an Android Satnav app for my new phone? One which has offline maps so doesn’t eat into my meagre data allowance, though online traffic updates would be nice. If free is too much moon on a stick, cheap would be good.

The phone comes with an installer for Wisepilot – is that any good? Though I suspect I’d have to pay to use that once installed.

kayak23

Google maps.

franksinatra

Google Maps / Navigation. Should already be installed, if not it is free on Play store. Works well. No need to look any further.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    singlecrack
    Free Member

Navfree..

jon1973
    Free Member

Google Maps / Navigation. Should already be installed, if not it is free on Play store. Works well. No need to look any further.

Google is very good, but the OP asked for off line maps. +1 NavFree. Works very well.

stumpy01

Co-pilot gets good reviews, as does Tom Tom but neither are free.

How much data allowance do you have? Google Maps uses a surprisingly small amount.

scaredypants

I think you can download a section of map for google maps

(but navfree is good)

and backcountry navigator’s good for off road (I ended up paying for the premium one but can’t remember why – maybe for US maps)

prawny

Nav free for me. Google maps is fine and full of features but the speach can be clunky at times.

aracer
    Free Member

Only 500MB a month. Could go to 1GB for not much more, but I’ve survived this far with no data at all I doubt I really need to spend more.

PePPeR

Another vote for Navfree here, it’s very good

aracer
    Free Member

Thanks all, navfree installed…

bob_summers

Google maps does offline. You zoom to the area you want, then type okmaps in the search bar, and it’s cached for your future perusal. Well, I’ve used it for smallish areas, not sure if it works for countries etc.

paladin

I’ve used Google maps by planning a route on it at home on WiFi, then starting the route, and I think it caches maps for route this way.

Stoner
    Free Member

nice one bob_summers, I didnt know the OK Maps trick. Very handy for preloading summer holiday locations.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

If you don’t like the stock Google nav voice have a look at Ivona text to speech. Much nicer than the bog standard robot.

OK Maps does cache areas but I can’t get it to plan a route when not online with either wifi or 3g. I’m sure there’s a method.

Navigon is quite good too. It’s free here in Oz but reasonably priced elsewhere.

popstar
    Free Member

I recently jumped ship to Android. Tried google, copilot etc etc and found google were good and waze an absolute best app with live updates. Tomtom use live data from waze data base, and that app is free.

tightywighty
    Free Member

google were good and waze

Neither of which properly support offline data do they?

On GMaps caching the map (at least on my 4.1 device) does not allow you to plan a route without using internet data.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Nav Free is a good backup for Google Maps for when you don’t have a phone signal or are in a different country, just make sure you have got all the maps and updates you need BEFORE you need to use it for the first time. I’ve been caught out a couple of times, it can refuse to work if it needs an update but it’s amazing considering the price. 🙂
    For Google Maps I think there is also a fairly small limit to how much you can cache. I have tried doing this for Ireland before and it won’t let me despite having gigs of space free on the phone. I think you can save pre-planned routes though, would be interesting to see how this copes with deviations.

aracer
    Free Member

Navfree worked well and gave me an alternative route off the motorway when there was an accident ahead and I selected the option not to use motorways (amusingly I did this just before a services and it routed me off through the services and back on again – presumably because this missed a bit of the motorway).

Am now trying to cache some google maps as an alternative – thanks for the tip – will try this sometime when I have time to monitor data usage. It would be nice to get the live traffic updates with this. Note that it seems you don’t actually need to type “okmaps” into search, as if you scroll down after selecting search there’s a “make this map area available offline” option.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Satnav for Android (free?)’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts