Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Satmap Active 10 users…..do you have a photo of it on your bars?
  • yoshimi

I like the idea of a bigger screen over the Garmin 800 but they look very bulky.

How secure is the bar mount?

Also can anyone comment on the display quality compared to an Edge 800?

Thanks

BadlyWiredDog

If you’re contemplating an Active 10, hold your horses, there’s an Active 12 on the way with higher res screen, Bluetooth module – cadence, HR capabilities etc – and other upgrades out before Christmas. The bar-mount is a bit industrial but fine, though it sits a little high over the bars. Active 10 map reproduction is better than Garmin generally, I think – something to do with the way Garmin has converted the map data allegedly – but the 12 will be a lot better. They are bulky units, but the screen is significantly larger and the user interface is actually intuitive compared to Garmin’s slightly random menu arrangement.

yoshimi

Thanks BWD – Interesting about the Active 12…..so that’ll be why the Active 10 is down to £195 for the bike version…I’ll do some more research as the 1:25k lake district map bumps up the price quite a bit

BadlyWiredDog

No worries. The other option worth looking at is a smartphone with Viewranger and some sort of back-up power source and a protective case. The screen on, say, an iPhone is markedly better than anything I’ve seen on a GPS unit and the mapping reproduces really well. GPS tends to eat batteries though.

pete68
    Free Member

No photos I’m afraid, but I always fit mine on the stem. The mount is a bit of a fiddle to fit but once on it’s very secure. I’ve had mine for 5 years and it’s a great bit of kit. Satmap are very good at keeping the unit up to date with downloadable software updates.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ll try and get round to taking a snap later and post it up.

singletracksurfer

Got both those units. Much prefer the Satmap for navigational duties, and use the Garmin for recording trips or navigating when I kinda know where I am as it is small, neat.

Mount is secure for both and Satmap put a thick rubber band type thing to stop mine rattling. Mount is expensive for what it is, but good.

If you can get the Satmap on the stem it is fine. Rather clunky on the bars though.

lucien

I put mine on my top tube, you can take the screws out of the mount and turn it 90deg, and then screw it up so that the Satmap sits in line with the TT – if I get the chance I’ll photo it and post…

BoomBip
    Free Member

yoshimi – check eBay for used Satmap cards, I’ve picked up Lakes and Snowdonia 1:25k (separately) for around £40 each.

I also took the punt when I first got the Satmap on Central GB 1:50k which covers a huge area (something like Newcastle to Bristol) including Lakes, Peaks, Snowdonia, Dales, etc. It’s not as nice as 1:25k but served me really well for a good few years and a decent compromise if you’re riding in different areas a lot.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Satmap Active 10 users…..do you have a photo of it on your bars?’ is closed to new replies.