Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Satmap Active 10 GPS – Current / Average speed etc on the bike?
  • Paceman
    Free Member

I’m considering getting a Satmap Active 10 GPS for epic trail rides and exploring. I’m sold on the O.S. mapping, trail marking/logging functions, ease of use etc, but what about on-the-bike readings such as those a bike computer would measure?

Will the Satmap 10 give you accurate current speed, average speed, trip distance easily?

Also, what are the 1:50000 maps like in use, good enough or should I consider the pricier 1:25000 maps?

Thanks.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i don’t know, but it sounds like a nice bit of kit having just read about it.

i would have thought that like with the normal OS maps, the 1:50000 is fine, but if you’re after more detail and precision then you’d go for the 1:25000.

Paceman
    Free Member

I’m pretty old on one too. Just want to make sure I can us it to monitor current and average speed, and trip distance covered, whilst out on a ride?

theflatboy
    Free Member

those will be standard on pretty much any satnav, let alone one as pricey and sophisticated as this one, i would have thought.

going to look down the back of the sofa for a spare few hundred quid when i get home i feel!

speaker2animals

You can configure a 2 or 4 line information bar to show data that you want and then have it running permanently or when you want to have a look at it.
    On open areas, mountains, moors, parks, roads etc I find 50K fine. I think for riding 25K may be too detailed. You may have to up the magnification so far to see the trails that you are looking at a small patch on screen. For walking though may be ideal, especially in heavy woodland. I recommend the 50K areas, I have Central and North England and that covers plenty.

Negs – screen can be difficult to read from the bars and it is a biggish unit. But then you are getting a bigger screen and OS mapping.

Recommended 85/100

vinnyeh

Funnily, I’ve been meaning to ask about these as well.

what’s durability of the unit like do you think- My current unit’s taken and survived a few hard knocks, but is the larger soze likely to make it a bit more vulnerable?
    Is the mapping loadable onto both the pc and the unit- ie do I still need Tracklogs to plan a route, or can I plot routes on the pc using software and the satmap maps? I’m aware that you can plot on the unit itself.

easygirl

you can plan the routes on the unit,via a third party ap, such as memory map and import, or use the online planner from satmap.
    shows current and average speed no problems.
    screen scratches easily, but can be replaced, and if case gets damaged you can return it to satmap for a full outer cover replacement, for a resonable price, cant remember how much now, but its on the web site.
    The 1:50 k maps are fine for biking and the national park card is very reasonable cost wise

ive had mine for 6 months now and its a great piece of kit, get the extra power pack it dosent last long on aa batteries, but i used mine for 10 hours with screen on all the time last week and it was fine

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Satmap Active 10 GPS – Current / Average speed etc on the bike?’ is closed to new replies.