Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sat nav app for the van , which one ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Looking for an iphone app that i can use as a sat nav in the van at work that doesnt use the internet or data
    Recommendations please

maccruiskeen

NavFree is worth a look – you need to have a fair bit of memory available as the app has all the mapping data preloaded – saving it having to have a data connection while you drive. Takes up about 1GB or so IIRC

EDIT – I think its changed its name to ‘Navmii’

scotroutes

Google Maps. Just download the area you need and it’ll work offline.

scaredypants

Try here – I use navmii, not sure if it exists for iphones

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’ve found Here Maps pretty good, especially at the price of free.

dawson

Slight hijack; has Google maps sat nav changed so that it shows the arrow relative to north, instead of pointing up the screen so left and right means left and right?

Davesport

So, not AyePhone but Navmi works pretty well on Android & Google maps now has the capability of pre downloading all the map data you need so it’ll work offline.

D.

CountZero

Here works as well as any others, it’s free, you can download maps for the whole UK, then set the app to run offline so it doesn’t need a data connection to work. Select hifi voice for a more human-sounding voice guidance, (although some place name pronunciation is a little ‘idiosyncratic’). Automatic nighttime maps works well, and it will usually give you two or three choices of route.
    I’ve got Navmii, CoPilot Live, Here, Google Maps and Apple Maps on my phone, but I’ve come to rely on Here more and more, mainly because of the route choices; I often much prefer cross-country A/B-roads to motorways, and Here gives those choices, not all of the others do, even if you dig down through the settings options to select road/speed options, which is really worth doing.
    Used all the above on an iPhone 5 and 6+.

maccruiskeen

Select hifi voice for a more human-sounding voice guidance, (although some place name pronunciation is a little ‘idiosyncratic’)

I know that a few app develops that frequent this place…. theres a whole £5 of my money to anyone who develops a satnav app where the voice changes so that you get local accents as you travel

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sat nav app for the van , which one ?’ is closed to new replies.