Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Sat in a&e
  • alwillis

Decided to head OTB on the road yesterday (I’m calling it a freak speedbump) and after a visit to the walk in centre yesterday (still got 4 limbs and conscious- it will be fine) I’m in a&e because I can’t move my left arm (landed on the shoulder).

How long do we think it will take on a sunny Monday morning??

Rubber_Buccaneer

At least it wasn’t your fun arm 😀

alwillis

How do you know I’m not left handed?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’ve been watching…..

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

How long? Depends what the rest of local populace has got up to over the last few hours. I’m gonna say 4 hours.

andybrad

im saying 3 hours (where are you)?

cheers_drive

Quicker than if it was Saturday night.

revs1972
    Free Member

5 hours…..minimum

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

This daily Mail reader says 6 months.

timbur
    Free Member

I’ll say collar bone and 3 months at least.
    6 hours wait. You’re not bleeding/young/old/dying (well, we’re all dying but just not quick enough to get a&e style attention)

Trimix
    Free Member

Lie on the floor and shake about like your having a fit – might speed things up a bit.

Otherwise 5 hrs.

alwillis

I’m at GWH in swindon, and not old or young or screaming. Just curled up in the corner trying not to move too much.

If anyone in the local area could try not to instigate a pile up on the M4 it would be much appreciated

Drac

You’re on a forum so say you can wait 6 hours. A walk in centre will be quicker.

allthegear
    Free Member

Hope you charged your phone well first…

prawny

Tell them you hit your head and your arm is hurting, you’ll be out of there in no time.

johndoh
    Free Member

We went last weekend (Out of Hours GP surgery at the local hospital) – called 111 at 4.30pm, they got us an appointment for 6pm. Got there for our appointment only to be told there was a minimum 3 hour wait. 🙄

Drac

Tell them you hit your head and your arm is hurting, you’ll be out of there in no time.

Nope, timescale is too long.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Do not, unless you really, really mean it, use the words “Chest Pain”

They’ll see you very rapidly indeed, but won’t look at your shoulder until after you’ve spent eight hours on a bed attached to monitoring equipment.

alwillis

I know you all in centres are quicker- went to one yesterday and was told to go home. Now I can’t hold anything in my left hand, so thought it best to seek medical attention more urgently.

For those following I’ve already been triaged, dosed up on painkillers and x-rayed. Painkillers not really working if I’m honest!

Drac

Cool!

Good you went to seek help but an A&E does not mean you’ll a be seen more urgently.

natrix
    Free Member

triaged, dosed up on painkillers and x-rayed.

in an hour is pretty good going 8)

If you are parked in the car park, don’t go over time on your ticket…………..

jambalaya
    Free Member

Painkillers not really working if I’m honest!

Because they gave you rubbish ones I suspect, same thing happened to me in Bourg St M after I bust my knee, was given Paracetamol and it wasn’t until the wife got me some prescription Voltarene (75mg strength) that it stopped hurting. Get some proper ones on prescription is my point.

3-4 hours is my guess. As above same in France really, Mrs B waited 2 hours to be seen even though only 1 person ahead of her in queue. Monday morning as per yourself

Healing vibes

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll make some calls and round up some immigrants wanting plastic surgery to jump the queue

ransos
    Free Member

You’re on a forum so say you can wait 6 hours. A walk in centre will be quicker.

Yeah, that’s what they told me. Seven hours later…

bails

Because they gave you rubbish ones I suspect, same thing happened to me ….
    3-4 hours is my guess.

How can you read the bit of the post saying that the painkillers are rubbish and somehow miss that he’s been seen already?!

njee20
    Free Member

If anyone in the local area could try not to instigate a pile up on the M4 it would be much appreciated

Pfft. I just can’t promise that, I’m sorry. Particularly as progress has been swift thus far.

How can you read the bit of the post saying that the painkillers are rubbish and somehow miss that he’s been seen already?!

See I read that as had the x-rays, sent back to wait to be seen (with some painkillers), rather than “all done and sent home with some painkillers”.

P-Jay
    Free Member

An hour’s not too bad I guess.

I’ve only needed to go to A&E twice in the last 10 years thankfully.

First one I didn’t really wait, I remember the Ambo stopping, the lift going down, bright lights (real ones, not en route to the pearly gates thank ****) and being surrounded by serious looking people in scrubs within seconds.

Second One, got off the phone to OOH service who closed with a cheery “if you can’t get in yourself, tell me now and I’ll send an Ambo” and headed down to tell them “I might have Meningitis” – that raised a few eyebrows, 5 mins later I was speaking to a Triage Nurse “Silly question, do you happen to know what your resting heart rate is normally?” “Why yes I do, because I’m a bit off like that – 53-58” “Oh, well it’s 115 at the moment, you’re tachycardic” which I thought was some sort of 90s Techo outfit, seems not. I only had Pneumonia which was a nice surprise.

Drac

See I read that as had the x-rays, sent back to wait to be seen (with some painkillers), rather than “all done and sent home with some painkillers”.

Exactly he’s had intial examination and some pain relief, he’s not finished yet.

Yeah, that’s what they told me. Seven hours later…

If only there was another way to find out.

alwillis

Just under 3 hours out the door- I’m very impressed. Everyone in there is like a super efficient version of normal people in real life!

Just a separation of the AC joint so I’ll live, but won’t be on a MTB for a while!

Drac

Excellent. Heal soon.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Did my collarbone on a Thrusday morning extended ride to work a couple of years ago.
    Got to A&E about 8am and was done and out by just after 9am!
    Must have been maybe two other people in there. Much nicer than a Saturday evening.

Also, turning up with a 2yr old who has bumped their head gets you seen very very quickly! Nothing like the mild panic of a potential childrens head injury 😯

shermer75
    Free Member

Just a separation of the AC joint so I’ll live, but won’t be on a MTB for a while!

Lucky! Make you get that AC joint healed 🙂

revs1972
    Free Member

Also, turning up with a 2yr old who has bumped their head gets you seen very very quickly! Nothing like the mild panic of a potential childrens head injury

You weren’t at Bath then 😆

TiRed

Did you not tell them you banged your head, lost consicousness and have been feeling nauseous? Rookie mistake 😉

Grade? you have to give the grade? Any notch on the shoulder?

And three months of turbo time.

theotherjonv

Also, turning up with a 2yr old who has bumped their head gets you seen very very quickly!

Unfortunately every time I’ve had to go to A&E I’ve not been able to readily put my hands on a 2 y.o with a bumped head to take with me.

shermer75
    Free Member
    Wookster

Did you get a TUE while you were in there?!?

Heal well mate, Beer will help tonight!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Sat in a&e’ is closed to new replies.