Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sarn Helen Trail. Anyone done it recently?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

Having not managed to fit in a bikepacking trip this year was eyeing the forecast for next week. Plan was to do the NC500, but the weather has been so %*$% up there that I haven’t bothered going so am thinking or something further south.

Have heard mixed reviews on riding the Sarn Helen trail so wanted to get any feedback from those who have done it recently.

Thanks

welshfarmer

You planning the whole cross Wales epic or just certain bits of it?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Done it couple weeks ago what you need to know? Did from Conwy to Gower whole trail N to S

trailwagger
    Free Member

I`m following this thread as im planning to do the whole route next year. I have read that certain parts are very boggy so would like to avoid those if possible.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Done it couple weeks ago what you need to know? Did from Conwy to Gower whole trail N to S

Excellent. That is what I am considering. Just keen to understand whether it was boggy as I am unsure how wet it has been in that area over the summer?

How many days did you do it in and is there anything you’d do differently or wish you’d been aware of before setting off?

Ta

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Trails are hard and wet in places. Some hike a bike too. Its certainly not well marked and you will need your map reading skills. We took 7 days including the train trip and that saw us doing about 80km a day. I very much enjoyed the trip. Group of 5 was just right. Take plenty of cash as north Wales seems to be mostly cash only, no cards. We stayed YHA/hotels, B&B. Eat and grab a coffee and cake when you can as theres no much open on the way. A lot of pubs etc have closed down.

To repeat though we really enjoyed the experience saw great scenery. Certainly more enjoyable in the summer 😉

mattsccm
    Free Member

Pawsy.
    How about a detailed description?
    I am trying to get some mates to do this but the lack of published info is putting them off.

fraochmor
    Free Member

Pity you decided not to come to the Highlands, weather has been as good as I can remember – a real Indian summer!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sarn Helen Trail. Anyone done it recently?’ is closed to new replies.