Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Saris Bones – your experiences
  • Surfr
    Free Member

I’m seriously limited in my choice of bike carriers as I drive and RX-8. I’ve heard about the Saris Bones 2 being a suitable rack for this style of car, but have never heard from anyone regarding their actual use. Do they have a tendency to scratch or dent the car at all? do they take any size/frame-shape? etc..

Photos would be very much appreciated if possible.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’ve got a Bones (the three bike version)

+ points
    Colour matches the car (not really a plus point, but there you go)
    Nothing has ever fallen off it
    Lots a flexibility in mounting on many different cars
    Easy to fit (once you’ve worked out the best setup for your car – don’t forget to mark the positions with the sticky labels)
    Retaining buckles for the bikes stay firmly shut (to the point of nearly being a negative if you don’t work out the knack of loosening them!)

– points
    Designed for ‘open framed’ bikes – modern curvey bouncers will need a false crossbar (I had to buy 3 of these, more expense)
    Can’t open the boot when it’s on (well you can, but don’t do it if bikes are on it)
    Only held on with webbing straps, so not secure (don’t leave it unattended at a service station)
    Don’t forget the rear window wiper (if you have one) will break if you turn it on and the Bones is attached to the car.
    Nothing to fix a lightboard to, so you’ll have to bungy / strap one to your bikes
    Bikes do move about a bit, so you must ensure you put some padding between them so that they don’t rub against each other

The main weight of the rack / bikes is concentrated on the rubber feet. These can move about a bit, so make sure they and the car is clean before mounting, otherwise there will be abrasion and possibly a bit of crying

hora
    Free Member

I had one on a MX5- the rear foot (that sits ontop of the boot) had a tendancy to move around so I’d helitape the top of the boot rather than use a cloth (it flicks it off).

Nice car BTW 🙂

bigsi
    Free Member

Have the 2 bike version on an Octavia Vrs and its fine.

I mount mine on the back window (so it sits high up) out of the way of the rear lights and rear wiper blade with the 2 lower legs sat between the bottom of the rear window and the rear spolier on the ledge bit of the boot without any problems, make sure body work is clean before mounting to avoid scuffing.

As long as you tighten the straps up the amount of bike movement will be minimal but if I’m carrying the Blur then i have to mount it upside down as it won’t work with a bendy top tube. I also padlock the bike to the car via the rear spolier to deter thiefs (your never going to stop them if they are determined).

It is possible to get straps which allow you to open the boot with the rack on the back (think they are about £10 extra) but i don’t know how they compare to the standard metal hooks.

In short if you can afford it get a towbar mounted one or similar but if you can’t they are a good alternative to the Halfords jobbies.

Oh and be carefull of contact points with the car if carrying the bike high on the back.

grumm
    Free Member

I’ve got the RS one – its very good but as said its designed for open framed bikes – I haven’t used the false crossbar thing but its a slight faff getting my Pitch onto it.

Surfr
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Sounds like it should do the trick for me.

Hora, thanks. I had 2 MX5s before the RX8. Great cars but just a little lacking in the roof and rear seats dept.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I’d just echo exactly what piedi di formaggio said. The only strap to worry about might be the ones that anchor it to the chassis rail (or whatever you use) under the bumper – there’s the possiblity of them scuffing the paint.

bigsi
    Free Member

dave_rudabar – Member
    I’d just echo exactly what piedi di formaggio said. The only strap to worry about might be the ones that anchor it to the chassis rail (or whatever you use) under the bumper – there’s the possiblity of them scuffing the paint.

I would agree that there is a possibility of scuffing from the straps if its secured under the rear bumper which is why i stopped doing that with mine and instead secure it at the top of the rear boot lid, at the sides of the boot lid and at the bottom of the boot lid which also allows you to access the boot while the rack is in place. Of course this will not really work if you have the rack hanging off the back rather than mounted over the rear window.

Get one and you’ll work out what best works for you 8)

MarginWalker
    Free Member

I had a saris bones 3 on the back of my clio for 2 years and wouldn’t reommend it. firstly it doesn’t fit full susser frames, well at least my Meta 5 didn’t hang on it very well. This resulted in really severe scrapes on the down tube and top tube and the bike also bounced loose on 2 occasions as the retainer straps were crap. In both cases I was saved by a bungee cord holding one side of the bike on or it was a gonner! The straps on mine were made of a hard plastic which also marked my hartail frame quite badly (which did fit the rack). And finally when I took it off after 2 years it had completely worn the paint away at the contact points! I accept that was my fault for keeping it on so long but the point is it will mark your paintwork even if you do take it off when not using it.

I’ve since used Thule roof and towbar mounted racks and would highly recommend either system.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Saris Bones – your experiences’ is closed to new replies.