Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Saris Bones, aero wheels….
  • DT78
    Free Member

Bike normally travels inside the car, sadly I have to transport wife, child and bike now. I have a saris bones which I’ve used in the past for mtb, this time I’m planning on taking a road bike with cosmics.

Is there a potential issue with drag caused by the wheels as they will be side on to the direction of travel?

2-2.5hr journey on the motorway so 70mph speeds.

I could probably wedge the wheel inside in wheel bags but then I’ve got the faff of the chain flapping about.

I am worrying too much?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Get a chain keeper.
    Put the wheels inside.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

25c road tyre and 40mm rim = 65mm wide side profile.
    2″ MTB tyre and 15mm rim = 65mm wide side profile.

Can’t imagine it will make much difference. A couple of disc wheels and then you might start to notice it.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Cosmics are 50+ aren’t they?

bikebouy
    Free Member

When I use my Saris Bones with the roadie I take the wheels off, load the bike onto the rack, then get some old towels to protect the bike frame then load the wheels (front first) onto the arm of the rack, then another towel then the rear with the cassette facing outwards, then strap the wheels to the arms (because the frame is strapped by the clips) if you have the double rack (like mine) then you can use the outer clips to strap the top of the wheels in and simply tie the bottom of them to the bottom of the rack.

Sounds complicated that ^ but in reality it’s both easy and safe and the wheels are out of the wind.

DT78
    Free Member

That’s a good suggestion BB – how do you secure the chain? No time to buy a gadget to help.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Chain Keeper

Bodge something like that up. I know of people who have used old hubs or axles with the requisite nuts/QR in place.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Zip tie…

Peasy, you can also use a couple to secure the frame and wheels to the rack..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Saris Bones, aero wheels….’ is closed to new replies.