Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Saris Bones
  • manitou
    Free Member

Are they any good?.. thinking of getting one for a trip to somerset. I had Thule roof racks but they dont fit new car.

nickewen
    Free Member

They’re okay.. Great for hardtails (not small ones) as the arms fit through the frame easily. It’s trickier with a FS depending on frame design but with a bit of fiddling you can get them on there.

I had a Saris bones 2 and used to change the arms around (inboard to outboard and vice versa) for the two that went down to the bumper and the two that the bike rests on, in order to get my FS on.

Also best to put a couple of clear pads (helitape type stuff) on the bumper as the rubber pads will move/rub slightly and damage paintwork.

Another consideration is a light/numberplate board as they tend to obscure the back end of the car.

rewski
    Free Member

I used one for years, used to get three adult bikes on it with a squeeze, I also got one of those top tube attachments for my full susser, I used to lock them in case of anything going loose or breaking. I never bothered with a number plate, I know people that have been pulled up for it though.

Yak

Used to use one. Bit of a faff. Small hardtails and fs was a pain as the arms/fittings are bulky. Also dented my civic at the top fixing.

Upside it that it was v fast to fix on and very stable. I had the one with the big metal tubular uprights.

faustus

Been using a Bones 2 for a little while on long journeys. Very pleased with the ease of set up and great stability, seem strong too. As with any similar rack, lights seem a bit obscured and you need to be a bit careful not to damage the car, but mine has been good on two different cars so far. As above, needs helitape or similar for downtube strap, as it can rub. It’s very good at keeping two bikes apart though, which is really nice.

ransos
    Free Member

Very stable, pain to fit, plays havoc with your fuel economy. You’ll probably need a lighting board to be legal.

flashes
    Free Member

pain in the rear, plus a bit snapped off and I realised if you loosen the straps you could run off with the bikes and rack, (unless that’s the same on all racks). I now put the bikes inside the car and take less luguage, how the other half laughs……………….

occamsrazor
    Free Member

Hi, have some questions about the Saris that I’ve posted in a new thread, thanks:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bike-carrier-for-4×4-recommendations-please-some-specifics

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Saris Bones’ is closed to new replies.