Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • sarcastic comments from dog owners
  • northernerindevon

dog walker – “shouldn’t you have a bell?”

Me – “yes, & I do (ring ring), shouldn’t you turn your music down?” (they were ambling along with headphones in oblivious to my bell, shouts of “hello, excuse me…”)

dog walker – “humph”

Me – ride off ding – a – linging merrily!

Some people are just born stoopid…

IdleJon

mogrim – Member

I have been out on the fells around clitheroe on my mtb with my black lab running somewhere nearby and managed to piss a fell runner off because dog ran up and said hello.

Despite being a dog lover I hate it when dogs run up to me while I’m out running or riding, you never know what they’re going to do – Bite? Bark? Play? Chase you?

Or trip you up, or follow you or just get in the way while you are trying to run. But then the person who posted the original quote probably doesn’t realise that nobody else is dog-psychic. 🙄

Riding along a shared use path (walkers one side, cyclist the other) last year I caught up with a runner and his loose dog. The runner was on the cycle side of the path, but I could see why he was there as it was fairly busy on the walkers’ side. As I overtook him the dog took fright and decided to dive under my wheels. I suggested to the runner that he might want to get his dog under control seeing as he’s running down the middle of a cycle path to which he replied that I’d been going too fast. Surprised, I pointed that he had his back to me so how did he know how fast I’d been going. He replied that he was partially sighted.

End of conversation – I just didn’t understand any of it so rode on.

Perhaps I should use that excuse when challenged – “Oi, you can’t ride here!”, “Sorry I’m partially sighted.” (Well I need glases so it’s true. Sort of.)

aracer
    Free Member

No need it seems, as plenty of others have already made the sensible points about reasons why the fell runner might not want the dog to say hello.

Though <waves> at richc for next time he indexes me on doggy threads.

failedengineer

I can never understand why dog owners need to be thanked for stopping their animals jumping up/biting/licking/chasing me when I’m out running. I’ve had a couple of altercations with people who’ve said words to the effect of, “Thank you would have been nice” My response has been, “Why should I thank you for preventing your dog from attacking me”. However, I am a grumpy bugger and a known dog-hater.

mjsmke

I can never understand why dog owners need to be thanked for stopping their animals jumping up/biting/licking/chasing me when I’m out running.

It’s polite to say thanks. I do the same when other drivers give way when they are suppose to.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The correct response is always:

“ohh not you as well, I’m running out of places to hide the bodies”

D0NK

It’s polite to say thanks. I do the same when other drivers give way when they are suppose to.

I don’t thank every person who walks passed me on a busy street without barging into me, I’m not sure common decency/not being a dick requires thanks. Having said that I have got into the habit of thanking courteous driving (eg. holding back from overtaking me for 2-3 secs while we pass a pinch point) but I look at that as positive reinforcement, like training dumb animals, give them lots of praise when they do something right 🙂

grum
    Free Member

can never understand why dog owners need to be thanked for stopping their animals jumping up/biting/licking/chasing me when I’m out running.

We’re British. We constantly have to be either saying thanks or apologising for something.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Yesterday I got a “Oh, here’s another one” … Imagine that on the national cycle network!

Sometimes you can sit behind them all day dinging your bell, then they shit themselves when you politely make your presence known vocally.

If you go with a “coming through on the left/right” I find they instantly turn around making their left their right and vice versa, then jump directly in front of you!

lex
    Free Member

I was riding down through Stanmer park on the way to work and a dog ran straight out in front of me, chasing a ball.
    I hauled on the anchors and narrowly missed him.
    The lady owner apologised, said “Sorry, he can only think about his balls.”
    To which I replied, as I set off again, “I know how he feels.” I felt like Truman Capote.

xcretro
    Free Member

just in the woods tonight and not a sign of a dog owner :o) until out of nowhere a little rat like yappy little crap hole of a jack russel came leaping out at me, thought it was going to bite my soddin ankles, I kept riding whilst telling the dog to f off! it didnt seem to understand and kept growling barking and jumping at my ankles as I peddled. I tried to flick the back wheel out to knock it on its arse but it dodged it and kept going for my anbkles for a few more seconds till I outran it or it gave up. I was tempted to go back and find its owner and give them a piece of my mind but |I thought better of it as I was having a good ride until then and just wanted to keep going.

needles to say that when I came across further dog owners I was petty and didnt make any effort to move out of way or slow down. kind of made me feel better. 😈

Inbred456
    Free Member

We always ping a bell when on a shared use trail or path. Never had any trouble. Problem tends to be the younger gentlemen who thinks its his own personal race track and that ringing or having a bell on there super dooper full sus 29er carbon lovelyness is uncool. Dogs are unpredictable just slow down a bit and expect the unexpected and you wont have any problems.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

just in the woods tonight and not a sign of a dog owner :o) until out of nowhere a little rat like yappy little crap hole of a jack russel came leaping out at me, thought it was going to bite my soddin ankles, I kept riding whilst telling the dog to f off! it didnt seem to understand and kept growling barking and jumping at my ankles as I peddled. I tried to flick the back wheel out to knock it on its arse but it dodged it and kept going for my anbkles for a few more seconds till I outran it or it gave up. I was tempted to go back and find its owner and give them a piece of my mind but |I thought better of it as I was having a good ride until then and just wanted to keep going.

needles to say that when I came across further dog owners I was petty and didnt make any effort to move out of way or slow down. kind of made me feel better.
    He’ll have you next time! Jack Russells don’t forget the arseholes they’ve sniffed.

nwilko
    Free Member

As many people seem to start a conversation today with negative intentions, don’t get it.. if you can’t accept everyone is different thankfully you will always be grumpy and out for confrontation.
    I live life on a basis that if I can’t have a positive interaction with someone particularly a stranger then ranting about their lack of bell, dog sniffing my bag I abandoned in a public place, someone tailgating, queue jumping etc unless you are going to physically beat your opinion into them all you will do is wind them up, ignore idiots, smile live your life..

But then without being miserable and out for confrontation many internet warriors would be at a loss..

chip
    Free Member

He’ll have you next time! Jack Russells don’t forget the arseholes they’ve sniffed.

AdamW
    Free Member

But did the dog sniff your unattended bike?

slowoldman

I have a bell. At least it avoids the “haven’t you got a bell”? question.

But, often people will hear the bell, stare right at you noticing you are there, but then have no idea what to do with this information and continuing ambling along 4 abreast.

Dogs jumping up to say hello? No thank you. They need a swift kick in the balls, along with the owner.

nixon
    Free Member

The dog walkers round here are generally pretty good, the most I’ve had is a terse “mind the dog” even though I was already doing so, but apart from that people always make an effort to keep their dog out of the way etc, and are (surprisingly) quite happy about doing so as well. Thinking about it I typically ride around 4-6pm ish, so I reckon people are more cheerful due to getting off work, things would probably be worse if I rode in the morning.

wilkij1975
    Free Member

I’m a dog owner and always try and get out the way for cyclists and for dogs when I’m on my bike. You always get the odd militant person no matter what including cyclists who just don’t give a shit and bowl on through regardless. It’s about a bit of give a take on both sides really.

PJM1974
    Free Member

A few years ago, I was happily riding along a canal towpath when a stick flew through a gap in a hedge to my right, closely followed by a collie.

I came extremely close to a dip in the canal, so I told the owners that they ought to be more careful throwing sticks around.

“This is not a cycle path!” said the apparently female member of the duo, both of indeterminate age and gender with a voice ravaged by years of tobacco abuse and indignant remarks in response to provocative articles in the lower order tabloids, no doubt.

I shrugged, pointed to the sign fifteen feet away that confirmed that yes, it was indeed a cycle path and nodded to what I assumed to be the male partner “Is she always this dense?”

My point made, I happily trundled off to enjoy the towpath

GrahamS

the most I’ve had is a terse “mind the dog

I rarely have any problem on the shared-use path I use, but I got exactly that one this morning. A very snarky “Don’t look at me! Mind my dog!” ?!?

Bright sunny morning so I’d seen them both from a good way off and already slowed to jogging pace, kept the brakes covered, done the freewheel-ratcheting noise, and rung my bell before I passed her.

My “mistake” seemed to be momentarily making eye contact when I gave a cheery “Good morning” instead of staring fixedly ahead at her white Border Terrier which was chuffing miles away and on the opposite side of the path.

GrahamS

I shrugged, pointed to the sign fifteen feet away that confirmed that yes, it was indeed a cycle path

I’ve had someone rant at me for “cycling on the pavement” whilst they were actually stood directly on top of a painted bike symbol and within a few metres of a shared use sign. 🙄

catschroedinger
    Free Member

I fail to see how slow down you **** we can both enjoy the contryside can be misconstrued as sarcasm

RickDraper
    Free Member

Just tell them to concentrate on picking up there dog shit.

martib

As a cyclist, dog owner & pedestrian on the one hand cyclists are supposed to give way on bridleways, on the other dog’s are supposed to be under control in public. I find trying to be polite and courteous works most of the time, unfortunately some people don’t feel like showing the same courtesy. 😀

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘sarcastic comments from dog owners’ is closed to new replies.