Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 142 total)
  • [sarcasm] Thanks Cycle Surgery
  • DezB
    Free Member

So, riding home last night, stopped off at Cycle Surgery to pick up an order. All the way there my gears had been slipping, so when I’d picked up my order, I checked the chain and an outer plate had come off. Very doubtful it would get me the rest of the way home, so got out my trusty (it was a present from Mummy years ago and I’ve never used it!) multi tool to remove a couple of links.. found that this crappy chain tool actually needed a 4mm allen key to operate it, so popped back in the shop and asked if they had one. Guy rummages through a little tin under the counter (they have a workshop there), nope only 5mm and some valve caps.
    So I have to buy a multi-tool to fix my chain!
    I guess I was lucky to be at a bike shop where I could buy the tool, but I’m sure if I’d been working there I would’ve let a customer borrow a single little allen key for a couple of minutes… or would that be expecting too much?

Jamie
    Free Member

What multi-tool? As I know the topeak hexus has the allen bit built into the tyre lever.

I would be very surprised at a multi-tool with a chain breaker, that didn’t have a similar feature.

djglover
    Free Member

I guess the free loan of tools to people to fix their own bikes ain’t a great business model?

nixie

That and the tools get screwed up or not returned!

DezB
    Free Member

I guess the free loan of tools to people to fix their own bikes ain’t a great business model?

I’d just spent £50 in the damn shop!

Jamie… that’s it! the allen keys are missing from the tool cos I have others in my bag! Duh! 😳

DezB
    Free Member

That and the tools get screwed up or not returned!

Yeah, of course – I’m right outside the door. And you can ‘screw up’ a single allen key?

stoffel
    Free Member

If a shop wouldn’t lend me a simple, cheap tool for a couple of minutes so that I could get hme, i’d never shop there for anything. So I’d say the opposite rrealy. There’s something caled custoemr service, which is rather important in any business model.

DezB
    Free Member

@stoffel: Exactly 🙂

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

It’s gash, especially as you were a paying customer.
    I’d have loaned you a tool (if they’ve got a workshop, they’ll have 4 mm ak’s ffs), or probably done it for you if I had a spare 5 minutes.

martinhutch

They said they didn’t have one (Surprising as that is)? Or did I read that wrong.

Did you not follow up by asking to borrow their chain tool?

DezB
    Free Member

They said they didn’t have one

He only looked in a little tin box of crap under the counter. too much effort to look in the workshop, I suppose.
    Was in a hurry by then so just bought the tool.. it’s a Park one if anyone wants it. I’ve got loads of the bloody things!

binners

I’ve told you before Dezzy Baby. You need to replace that threadbare, almost translucent lycra. He clearly wanted you away from his shop as quickly as possible, as you were scaring off the other customers, and subliminally reminding him he was having bangers and mash for his tea 😉

wwaswas

should have just bought a 4mm allen key 🙂

We got a puncture on our push chair once. £8 for a tube in a local bike shop and he got arsey when I asked if I could borrow a tyre lever and a pump to change the tube in the shop with the baby asleep in the push chair. I’ve not been back.

DezB
    Free Member

Other customers?? There was one bloke asking if he needed a long cage or medium cage mech on the front.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Sorry but you are a victim of the dis-honest. Yes, people do pinch loan tools, and yes, some can even knacker a simple tool just by holding it.

Blanket policy of not lending out workshop tools would seem a bit harsh in this case but best go prepared, no point in carrying a tool that you can’t use.

br
    Free Member

Was in a hurry by then so just bought the tool.. it’s a Park one if anyone wants it. I’ve got loads of the bloody things!

Maybe handy if you carried one of them with you?

muggomagic

nope only 5mm and some valve caps.

You should have asked to borrow the welding equipment kept under the counter then you could have gone all A-Team and made a new bike out of the contents of the tin.

DezB
    Free Member

Maybe handy if you carried one of them with you?

F me! A genius!

vinnyeh

Who normally owns the workshop tools in a bikeshop? Are they the mechanics, or the shops?

kcal

I think have similar multi tool for the chain splitter part, as you say needs external 4mm AK – mine’s Ritchey Compact Pocket Rescue – CPR-5 –

aP
    Free Member

A couple of months ago I popped into Imperial Cycles in west London to ask whether they could undo the main bolt in the Ultra Torque cranks as I needed to replace the bearings. George lent me a nice big Park workshop allen key for me to do it at home. I try and support them whenever I can, and they’re next door but one to a great ice cream shop.

pondo
    Free Member

I have had a shop refuse to lend me a chain breaker, and another shop when asked if I could borrow an allen key, gave me one and said don’t bother bringing it back. I know which one I’d go back to.

chrisdw
    Free Member

@pondo That’s because it was cursed!

neilwheel
    Free Member

vinnyeh – Member
    Who normally owns the workshop tools in a bikeshop? Are they the mechanics, or the shops?

It could be either for hand tools, should be provided at a chain store.

Trouble is, if you lend out tools and they go for a walk, how do the mechanics do their job?

Coming from an engineering background, go in someone else’s toolbox without asking is equivalent to shagging their girlfriend.

scotroutes

Was the shop Cycle Surgery and the size 4mm??

pondo
    Free Member

@pondo That’s because it was cursed!

Dang – that explains the uncanny run of outrageous bad luck I’ve suffered from ever since. 🙁

tpbiker
    Free Member

For some reason or another I couldn’t tighten the headset on my bike recently and managed to snap the star nut. Took it to a local shop (pedals in edinburgh near toll cross) and asked them to fit one and adjust it for me as I needed to use it that afternoon.

Not only did the chap take time out from another job to fit it, but he also provided a starnut and spacers and didn’t charge me a thing. Said it was Karma…which in this case it will be given I’ll be dropping off a four pack of beers this afternoon, plus will recommend them to mates in future.

pondo
    Free Member

Was the shop Cycle Surgery and the size 4mm??

T’was a 4 milly but a different shop – torn between naming them so they get praise and not naming them so they don’t have a queue of people asking for free allen keys. 🙂

amedias
    Free Member

We used to have the ‘loaner’ allen key set for this kind of thing, cheap £1.99 set (several actually, as well as loaner spanners and other stuff) that got leant out without any worry if they got mashed or lost.

Minimal cost to us and all the kudos of being able to help when needed and without inconveniencing the workshop.

steviecapt
    Free Member

i can understand shops not wanting to lend out expensive tools, but a 4mm ak, for fs, how petty is that, take your business elsewhere and f-em, its gonna cost them more than a 4mm ak in the long run, without good customer service what use is a local bike shop anyway?

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, I might return the stuff I bought for a refund. Just to make a poin, like #cutoffnosetospiteface

Trouble is, if you lend out tools and they go for a walk, how do the mechanics do their job?

They’ve got a wall full of pissing multi-tools!

kcal

Put together even a handful of self assembly furniture and you’ll have a set of useful enough AKs. As above, no skin off the shops nose to have hand me downs like that for general use really..

neilwheel
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    Yeah, I might return the stuff I bought for a refund. Just to make a poin, like #cutoffnosetospiteface

‘Trouble is, if you lend out tools and they go for a walk, how do the mechanics do their job?’

They’ve got a wall full of pissing multi-tools!

Fair enough and I don’t blame you.

The only reason they have a wall full is because they don’t lend them out, obviously. 🙄

steviecapt
    Free Member

dont blame you op, theres certain local bike shops ive stopped using due to similar customer service issues, its their loss, theres always another shop to buy stuff from and get better service from.

TiRed

Go to Halfords instead. I bought a new emergency chain after three side plates disintegrated and they kindly lent me the tool to fit it in the shop.

The Hexus chain tool is excellent. I just didn’t have it with me on the fixed wheel commuter.

brakes
    Free Member

I know a branch of the same shop wouldn’t lend tools to customers for “insurance” reasons.

steviecapt
    Free Member

btw, it would take the salesman longer to reverse the transaction, and give you your money back, than it would of taken him to go in the workshop and look for a 4mm ak, which ever way you look at it, its just piss poor customer service, especially having just spent £50 in the shop, you have a lot more patience than me op, that £50 would already be winging its way back into my account by now.

Junkyard
    Free Member

if you have just spent £50 and you need a tool to borrow and they do not lend then it is a terrible business model IMHO

PS return the multi tool claiming it does not have the correct spanner you need 😉

rhbrhb
    Free Member

No tool borrowed but just pricematched a chain and cassette from £83 down to £37 at c.s.

Normally go out of my way to go to my LBS but as it’s closer c.s. does have it’s uses on a rainy day.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I can appreciate a not lending tools policy.

But if they weren’t busy I would have been nice for him to say
    “bring it here and I’ll pop that on for you in the workshop”.

5min of his time today, many pounds in his pocket in the future.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘[sarcasm] Thanks Cycle Surgery’ is closed to new replies.