Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Saracen Kili Flyer 650b
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I haven’t looked at the geometry, I’ve never ridden a 650b, the last Saracen I owned was far too heavy… but I really do like the look of this bike.

More pics and stuff on Wideopen

sputnik
    Free Member

Now that looks good!

wwaswas

It’s actually an evolution of the classic Saracen Killi Flyer.

My credulity is stretched to breaking point by that one.

Looks lovely though 🙂

LMT
    Free Member

Saracen did some great bikes in the 90’s its great to see the brand back to its best, really want to get my mitts on the Ariel £1399 for the frame only option, they truely have some great bikes geared up for the UK market, no proper road bikes yet but hopefully soon!

chakaping
    Free Member

My credulity is stretched to breaking point by that one.

Well, the colour is the same as the filet-brazed Tange Prestige Kili from the early ’90s.

wwaswas

that’s not evolution, that’s ‘we’ve painted a completely different product the same colour’ 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, the colour is the same as the filet-brazed Tange Prestige Kili from the early ’90s.

’96 Kilis……YUM!

chakaping
    Free Member

Actually I was thinking of the 1989 Kili Flyer Comp…

kelvin

That looks pretty “right” doesn’t it.

I can’t quite work out how the seat-tube and swingarm upright fit together though. Does the swingarm wrap tight around the seat-tube, for the full length of the seat-tube?

LMT
    Free Member

http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/all-mountain%20/kili-flyer

Better picture, close up over the rear sus.

Leku
    Free Member

Kili you say?

[/url]
    IMG_0458 by jh_buchanan, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]
    IMG_0452 by jh_buchanan, on Flickr[/img]

LoCo
    Free Member

Saw one of these being built up this morning 😉 The Areil was nice but a bit heavy, hopefully this is a bit lighter and has a stiffer swingarm as that was a bit flexy to when going for it (quite rare for me 😉 )

mafiafish
    Free Member

I thought Kili flyer was always their xc race job, seems an odd name choice for this frame. Retail price is a bit silly for the spec I would say.

Kryton57

chakaping – Member
    I haven’t looked at the geometry, I’ve never ridden a 650b, the last Saracen I owned was far too heavy… but I really do like the look of this bike.

More pics and stuff on Wideopen

If I hadn’t seen the thread title I would have put money on that first pic being the new 2013/4 Yeti ASR-5….

Nobby

I am intending to try one as soon as I can.

650b – it’s the future of mtbing 🙂

Kryton57

I thought you were a Yeti man Nobby, tsk…

FOG

Agree mafia, there is nothing fancy in the component line to justify a price like that

£ 2800.00 for bike with Alivio components !

Good luck selling that one

chakaping
    Free Member

Haven’t seen the spec, thought they might have reined their ambitious pricing in a bit for next year though.

You can get a carbon Zesty for that money.

Or one of these with change !

chiefgrooveguru

That YT looks like a gravity enduro weapon and a half! Saracen pricing is very strange, about twice what that groupset deserves…

£ 2522.00 ish direct…………………..

Bargain !

piebloke

Ey up.

Thanks for the comments on our new Kili Flyer.

Evolution yes. There is a background story coming on the bike and how it came from humble hardtail beginnings to this new 120mm suspension platform.

Leku (John) – Glad you like your Kili Flyer! That was our nod to past when we re-launched the brand in 2009/10. I love that bike loads and great to see images on here of the original 89/90 inspiration.

Bob – as you will probably have realised, Alivio doesn’t come in 10spd, so it’s a typo, thanks for pointing it out though. We’re a small busy team and can’t always catch every spinning plate

£2800 is a lot of cash by any standards but, to coin a phrase, it is what it is. I see a lot of the forum banter about mail order direct brands or big aggressive Euro brands fighting for market share by price establishing bikes – there are few British brands that do all the design and development work themselves that can compete at those knock down prices. I think if I got sucked into it all, soon enough you’d find me locked away in a padded cell 🙂

As usual I will say, try one on a local trail before you make your mind up sitting at your computer 😀

So as it’s the season for good will I’ll wish you all a Merry Christmas. I know what Santas bringing me and its 650b shape.

wrecker
    Free Member

That YT looks jaw-droppingly good for the money.
    *toddles off to the YT website*

That YT looks jaw-droppingly good for the money.
    *toddles off to the YT website*

There’s your response mr piebloke ………………..

Unfortunately with the current financial climate that we are knee deep in at present
    Good value is high on the agenda when buying a new bike
    But good luck with the kili, it looks good at a distance 😉

mikertroid
    Free Member

TBH I think the range looks great; would much rather support UK industry too, so long as they perform well.

I hope Saracen have a good year ahead, I’m sure they will.

roverpig

And why are we in the “current financial climate”? Could it have anything to do with people just buying whatever is cheapest and ignoring the consequences of all that cash flowing out of the country. Oh no, that’s right, it’s all the fault of those evil bankers isn’t it. As you were.

thepodge
    Free Member

Yeah because people spending more than they have also had nothing to do with it…

Anyway, the bike looks really good, not sure about the name though

nigelb001
    Free Member

Spec doesn’t make me look twice at this. Even taking into account the Alivio typo its got a wide range of component quality from Deore brakes to the token XT rear mech and i’d want far better than a Recon Gold on the front for this money – Revelation or Fox would go down better at this price point. Maybe as a frame only I would consider it. Oh and whats the weight.

wrecker
    Free Member

There’s absolutely nothing to stop Saracen or any other UK bike manufacturer having a direct sales model and offering similar value as YT, Canyon etc. I think it’s the future and it represents great value to us riders.
    I don’t think anyone could blame us consumers for choosing a bike with a top end spec over a bike with a very basic spec (e.g. devilles vs recons) for a similar cost.

wwaswas

here’s absolutely nothing to stop Saracen or any other UK bike manufacturer having a direct sales model and offering similar value as YT, Canyon etc

I think Saracen’s ownership by Madison may preclude that approach, tbh.

Also, a lot of people actually want to buy bikes in shops – Specialized/Trek etc al all *could* go to a direct model but see value in having a dealer network.

Wrecker thank you , My thoughts exactly

chakaping
    Free Member

Not really fair to compare Saracens to that YT bike IMO, for all the reasons mentioned above and more.

But the bikes will have to be competitive on price and spec with Specialized, Trek, Lapierre etc. if anyone is going to buy them at RRP.

wrecker
    Free Member

Not really fair to compare Saracens to that YT bike IMO, for all the reasons mentioned above and more.

I haven’t seen any reasons which would convince me (so far) that we can’t compare a British designed far east manufactured bike with a German designed far east manufactured bike.

piebloke

Spec on website is wrong. take a closer look at the picture. RS Revelation RLT forks, Fox Float Factory CDT BV rear can.

yeah. we cant offer factory direct prices becuase we have a dealer network to support. Kinda how we like it really.

Cheers.

wwaswas

Spec on website is wrong.

can you not update it?

It’s getting a reputation as being underspecced and/or overpriced at the moment – can’t take that long to get the content on the site changed to be correct?

nigelb001
    Free Member

Website these days is usually a potential customers first point of call. If you can’t get the spec right there people will surf right past on their way to YT, Giant, Lapierre etc. Crazy, should be proofed correctly before making the page live.

thepodge
    Free Member

Giant website has been wrong for years, probably international differences in their case

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I’m with pie bloke on this one, YT look amazing and the same with the spec but if Madison were to deal direct the Kili would be the same… That’s great until you have a problem and then you have to **** around sending the bike back to the makers and then the fun can start. My mate greyed in a road frame from the US it cracked, the UK importer said it had to go back to the shop where he brought it. Pay your money and take your chances I suppose.

The Kili Flyer frame looks great value, I might look to get one of those and build it up.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Unfair to drag that YT out. They are no longer available with that spec.

Maybe BOS have pulled the plug?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Saracen Kili Flyer 650b’ is closed to new replies.