Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Saracen Hack owners
  • jsync

I don’t suppose anyone has weighed their wheels, particularly the Araya ones? If so what’s the weight?

turbo1397
    Free Member

Thinking of going for one of these.. what’s your thought on it?

td75
    Free Member

I would also be interested to know anyone’s thoughts on the Hack. Also been looking at the Genesis CDA 20. I’d be using it for everything, road, and off road.

andybrad

i had an old one and thought it was good. Not as fast as a road bike but much better at stopping. Slightly shorter in the top tube than a road bike as well.

I sold it as every time i road it i got upset i wasnt on my mtb.

rhid

I loved mine too. Sold it and got a Defy. Not sure I made the right choice but its done now. To be honest the wheels didn’t feel super heavy, but then again I have no real idea. It was light compared to my mountain bike but a bit heavier than the CAAD8 it replaced…..

I realize none of this is any help.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

yeah. 2200g for the pair of bare wheels 😯 So, monstrous. I replaced mine with Kinesis V3Discs which weighed about 1600g (and have a habit of cracking alloy nipples under my massive 65kg powerhouse frame, so not a ringing endorsement). The OE fat slicks are also very heavy, and so tall they make the bike want to fall into corners and catch sidewinds like a deep section wheel!

I got a Hack 2 for ~£600 and v happy with it. Used it to dabble in CX and it will be my pit bike next season (subsequently bought a SuperX as got seriously into CX), commute 150 miles a week on it, also did Paris-Roubaix sportif and the Rapha 500 on it last year.

At full rrp there are possibly lighter or fancier specced bikes out there but for the sort of money they are going for reduced old stock they are cracking bikes.

Be aware Saracen sizing is funny – mine is a 56 but it measures 54 (and the frame sticker says “54 C-T” on it under the 56!). I nearly bought a 54 mail order thinking that was what I wanted but the shop (Sprockets Cycles) did a load of measuring for me, the 54 would have been too small as it would effectively have been a 52.

smokey_jo

It definitely feels solid but the short top tube suited me as I’m relatively short bodied and long-legged.

Hit no end of potholes and drain covers at full chat and no hint of a wobble in the wheels or punctures either.

Get quite a bit of toe overlap with guards on on the 54 with size 9’s.

Got my Hack 2 for less than £600 too and pretty happy with it for bimbling around and commuting on.

jsync

I’ve not put a massive amount of miles on mine, just got it for the C2C and turbo work. I also don’t have much experience of other road / cross bikes as mainly MTB. However, it was great for the C2C on all surfaces, a bit heavy compared to a proper road bike but it rides nicely. I swapped the spicer tyres for some gravel king 28c and which was a great improvement. Mines a hack 1 and I got it for £500, so another healthy discount.

Sizing wise at 6’1″ I’m on a 58 which is just right (again coming from MTB).

Re the wheels, 2.2 KG! I was also looking at the V3 but I might give them a miss…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Saracen Hack owners’ is closed to new replies.