Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Saracen Ariel 2013
  • seavers
    Free Member

Has anyone one here been tempted by the recent price slash? Have to admit I went for it. The 142 model half price at £1326.

Looked at them a while back but the price and lack of reviews put me off. Having said that the few reviews that are out read well.

If there are any owners of the 2012/13 Ariel on here, what are your thoughts? They are great bikes right?!? Anyone else with random comments feel free to chip in.

Picking mine up on the weekend. 93% excited 17% worried.

Mister-P
    Free Member

It’s been a long time since I went to school but back then 93+17=110.

seavers
    Free Member

I always operate at 110%. 65% of the time.

Bregante

…and the other 45%?

seavers
    Free Member

Not much happens.

Edit…I make impulse purchases it would seem.

rj
    Free Member

I got a 2011 off of EBay about a month ago; I think the geometry’s the same, but the 2012/13 is a bit stiffer. I really rate it, it’s certainly the equal of the Five I demoed. It’s a good fun all-rounder.

seavers
    Free Member

Thanks for the info rj. Yeah I think the changes have been minimal for 12/13. Good fun all-rounder is what I am hoping for.

Interesting you make the Five comparison. Had a Five for 3 years but have been looking for something a little different. Like the Saracen for it’s linkage driven single pivot. Slightly steeper HA but a 160 TALAS would sort that.

ivorhogseye
    Free Member

I really enjoy mine. Have added a 160 talas, it’s a pig to climb otherwise. You’ve made a good choice…but I would say that 🙂

seavers
    Free Member

All sounding good! Once my Five is sold will go for the TALAS (120-160) just to make the ups easier and the downs even more fun. Cheers all. Happy to hear you enjoy the bike.

andrewni
    Free Member

My son has the 2011 in xs which is fine with 140 forks, mate has the large and it works well with a set of 160 talas

jairaj

I had a brief go on one last year. It was basically a pocket DH machine. Very capable when descending, loads of fun. You won’t be the first one to the top of the hill but you definitely will get to the top.

I would’ve got one but it was too much bike for me not sure I would’ve made the most of it.

deviant
    Free Member

I had a 142 until it was stolen… Great bike.
    Would happily have another, ridiculously good downhill despite ‘only’ having 140mm of travel.

rj
    Free Member

I’ve got u-turn Lyriks on mine. TBH I usually leave them around 150mm and find it climbs OK like this. It’s no whippety XC machine, but it’s relatively painless and more than compensated for by how capable it is downhill.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Absolutely stonking value for money – Madison definitely have perfected the art of killing the value of a brand with wacky pricing. Launch the models at above market prices and then wack a huge discount on it before the brand gets any respect/credence. Would be seriously pissed off if I had bought one of these earlier in the season and it would put me off buying in the future until they have at least 50% off rrp.

jools182
    Free Member

Where is it being sold at £1326?

Google isn’t helping me

chakaping
    Free Member

I had the older one.

Amazing fun bike. Bit hefty, bobbed a lot. Never noticed the flex that some claim.

Bit of a brute with a 160mm fork on it. Did some gnarly Lakes descents on it and it was brilliant, the climbs were hellish though (due to weight and bobbing).

New one can only be better!

chakaping
    Free Member

And WTF are Saracen/Genesis doing with their pricing?

If anyone there happens to read this – please stop overpricing your bikes and then selling them off so cheap.

Just price them a bit lower in the first place.

it would put me off buying in the future until they have at least 50% off rrp.

Got to admit I’d feel the same.

Leku
    Free Member

And WTF are Saracen/Genesis doing with their pricing?

You mean like this;

http://www.biketart.com/244829/products/Genesis-Grapil-10—Vicar-Green.aspx?origin=pla?kwd=&gclid=CPj-3Nai8rcCFeXItAod7gwAVg

Genesis Grapil 10 – Vicar Green £1,295.00 (RRP £2,249.99)

rj
    Free Member

I believe the Grapil’s being discontinued. Tried one at a demo day at GT and was pretty underwhelmed. It wasn’t that it was particularly bad at anything, it just wasn’t especially good either.

seavers
    Free Member

Where is it being sold at £1326?

Google isn’t helping me

Sorry for the late reply. Got mine from Plush hill cycles in Shropshire. Now sold out. Next best I can find is

http://www.realcycles.com/m1b186s1p4703/_SARACEN_Ariel_142_2013/RS_GB/11288 LARGE ONLY

I did see it for 1376 somewhere else…still trying to find the link…will post when I do.

I agree with above, at full price it looks over priced. Compared to a Norco sight 2 SE for 2500 and better kit. The Ariel is a bit of a risk considering reviews are scarce. I reckon they have slashed the price to get them out on the trails. Might kick start peoples interest.

I plan on posting a mini review once I have had some time with it.

justatheory
    Free Member

Trying to decide between one of these and a zesty at the moment

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Saracen Ariel 2013’ is closed to new replies.