Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sapim CX Aero spokes question
  • thered

Are these too flimsy for a full susser that while not freeride will get to jump off something (albeit small) every now and again?

mtbfix

They are Sapim's strongest spoke so I doubt the odd huck would cause issues.

njee20
    Free Member

As above, they're recommended for downhill use.

Having used them for several sets of wheels I wouldn't bother any more I must admit, they're a bugger to build with and making truing the wheels difficult for no real advantage IMO.

mtbfix

As the negatives are being listed – they cost a frikkin' fortune.

njee20
    Free Member

Well yes, that is true, although still less than DT Aerolites.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

As the negatives are being listed – they cost a frikkin' fortune.

because each spoke is x-rayed for faults. They are mega strong, light and aerodyanmic. Probably only worth it for racing though (DH, XC, road…)

tonyg2003

They are a pain to build (kills your hands tensioning them, getting them in spoke holes), cost a fortune and being aero has very little benefit on a MTB. However they are the strongest spokes available bar none. I had a set of road wheels built with them after busting numerous wheels road racing. Raced more than 5000 miles on them, plus training. They are still hanging up in my garage – just ended up wearing the rims thin.

njee20
    Free Member

Why worth it for XC? Revolutions are about the same weight, (I forget if there's a standard butted spoke the CX-Ray is 'based on'), much cheaper, plenty tough enough.

There's sod all aero advantage on an MTB. I certianly wouldn't turn down a set of wheels because they had them, but I wouldn't bother buying them.

The strength issue I can sort of see for DH, but it's tenuous!

Onzadog
    Free Member

too slow. see above

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Do DH riders not care about aerodynamics? They're going fast enough for it to count

cynic-al
    Free Member

mtbfix – Member
    They are Sapim's strongest spoke so I doubt the odd huck would cause issues.

Really? Isn't it just fatigue life that's high? Strength is surely about guage (and aren't they flexy like revs?)

njee20
    Free Member

Do DH riders not care about aerodynamics? They're going fast enough for it to count

I said it was tenuous, how many casual DHers wear skin suits and take the peaks off their helmets? That'll make a hell of a lot more difference than some slightly bladed spokes.

They have the highest fatigue strength yep, but isn't that usually why spokes fail? They are as flexy as Revs though!

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I said it was tenuous, how many casual DHers wear skin suits and take the peaks off their helmets? That'll make a hell of a lot more difference than some slightly bladed spokes.

'tis true. I just wondered if any did.

njee20
    Free Member

The top World Cup boys certainly do, did you not see the thing about Steve Peat's bike for the worlds, stripped paint off wheels and what not.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sapim CX Aero spokes question’ is closed to new replies.