Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • SAP
  • nemesis
    Free Member

some shit about “SSO logon not possible; browser logon ticket cannot be accepted”

That sounds like an issue with your windows side of things rather than SAP. Basically SAP can’t confirm with windows that your login details are right.

Are our servers just slow or does it just take ages to do anything?

Response time for most transactions should be under a second except maybe at really busy times (eg month end reporting) or when running reports.

a couple of times a week it’ll want more parameters inserting

That’s a new one on me 🙂 Best guess would be that there’s some sort of cache clean up in your systems that’s causing it to lose your default/previously entered values – are you using the SAP program or using it through a browser?

One suggestion is that you can set parameters in your user preferences so for example it always defaults in a certain plant.

jfletch
    Free Member

As said countless times they key to SAP is it’s implimentation. And it’s really hard to impliment well. All huge ERPs are hard to impliment well.

This is becuase IT people don’t understand the business and business people are really crap at helping them understand. But conversley the business doesn’t know how SAP works and SAP are really, really bad at helping you understand how the thing hangs togther.

The key to a good SAP implimentation is people who understand both and have authority to make decisions on the implimentation. These people need to be able to understand the objective of the business process so they can make a judgement on how to configure SAP to match and when the business process can be changed to meet the same objective but in a more SAP way. SAP has a millions ways to do everything, the skill is picking the right one.

I like SAP and I didn’t choose it and don’t impliment it. I do make decisions about how it is implimented.

brassneck

The irony is that we dropped OS/360 hosted products (not sure what exactly) for SAP globally in order to standardise and use standard off the shelf products that didn’t need extensive customisation.

Well, that ended well. We now just have legions of developers with different skills, and are only tied in to one vendor. Well, maybe a few, some bits would need a bit of head scratching to change now.

To be fair the near death of the batch processing and the instant results in some uses do seem a bit like magic, even if the presentation layer is a bit … austere…

However I’m lead to believe the cost saving and flexibility of moving to x86 virtualised hosting of the infrastructure made it worthwhile.. having seen what it moved too I can only assume we nearly owned IBM beforehand if this is a saving.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nemesis
    Free Member

No one ever accused SAP of being pretty 🙂 You should have seen old R2 green screen…

Maybe they should offer a comic sans patch 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I was involved SAP implementation in Finance for a very large FTSE 100 company, developing a bespoke solution, that was then used as the basis for the SAP that everyone else buys. We had a whole bunch of SAP techys working on site for about a year, and to be fair between us all a great solution was developed

Defender
    Free Member

Some years ago I worked for a company that ran SAP and was ‘trained’ along with the rest of our team as part of our ‘integration’ into the European operation, shortly before I left.
    It is/was supposed to be one of the better CRM packages.
    We had two sayings for what SAP stood for ‘Sod all progress’ or ‘Select and Pray’.

nemesis
    Free Member

While trying to see if you actually can get comic sans on SAP, I found this. SAP geek joke 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

nemesis – Member

…sounds like an issue with your windows side of things rather than SAP. Basically SAP can’t confirm with windows that your login details are right.

my login details haven’t changed in 7 years – but there’s a problem now?

nemesis
    Free Member

No but there’s probably an issue with the link between SAP and windows (well, AD).

Mind you, no password changes in 7 years is pretty poor practice from your IT guys…

jp-t853

I work with SAP BI reporting a lot and love it. The amount of detailed data that is available is leagues ahead of the systems we had before it.

That data has to come from somewhere and it is the people who process orders, move stock etc who feel the pain as everything takes so much longer.

nemesis
    Free Member

It doesn’t necessarily have to though. This comes back to the implementation or ongoing support but a small amount of work and create custom transactions to bundle together several others (eg multiple movements) or to reduce the complexity of screens (screen variants).

Problem is people usually don’t realise that it can be done and don’t know to ask. Or the company won’t invest and relatively small amount in order to save a lot of work.

slowoldman

SAP falls into the same mirky pool as Citrix.

@nemesis, you seem like a knowledgable fellow.

Can you point me to a (free) website that describes (in English) what particular SAP table are meant to do and how they relate to each other?

If I have a table name, http://www.se80.co.uk will tell me the table name and the fields it contains but it doesn’t realy explain waht the table is meant to hold or do.

Earl
    Free Member

JDEdwards works well (a competitor to SAP although I don’t know if it scales up at the very high end).

Prev company I worked at implemented it.
    Firstly they tried to fit the implementation to a timeframe and budget – didn’t go so well..
    Pushed out the time frame – got a bigger budget – listen to managers and end users. Even listened to the consultants. My god is that user centric design is see before me?
    Lots users involved in testing, user lead training and all the good stuff mentioned by some wise people here.

So.. took longer, cost more but now everyone is singing its praises..(all except the bean counters..). Successful imp and software depending on how you measure it.

The real test is how quickly users stop saying ‘Well in the old system’.
    Took less than a week – seriously.

I’m sure if SAP was chosen the same thing would have happened.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Well personally I hate SAP and think it’s crap, and of course that’s nothing to do with the fact that I run an Oracle practice in a large consultancy firm! We even have an SAP practice too, but I hate them as well.

Seriously though, there is nothing wrong with the SAP or Oracle ERP systems themselves but a lot of the implementations are very poor indeed.

epicsteve
    Free Member

JDEdwards works well (a competitor to SAP although I don’t know if it scales up at the very high end).

Owned by Oracle now and effectively dead as a product line. Same with Peoplesoft.

dave-c
    Free Member

I think you will find NAV and Oracle are both crap. Dynamics NAV is where it’s at. This has nothing to do with me working for a NAV reseller.

epicsteve
    Free Member

We used to have a Dynamics practice but gave it away to another part of our group as we didn’t want anyone to think we were that low rent.

Earl
    Free Member

Owned by Oracle now and effectively dead as a product line. Same with Peoplesoft.

Probably…

The only spanner in the works there is JDE’s green screen product only runs on AS400 and IBM is not really to give up that revenue stream just yet.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Green screen. The good old days!

m0rk
    Free Member

It could be worse…. you could have an IFS ‘solution’

Luckily, the firm I work for is investigating moving ERP systems…. I’ve actually got my fingers crossed for SAP (having used it before)

Earl
    Free Member

Hey – lets not forget that there are probably very few off the shelf business software packages that do most things a normal business do that can scale up to 1000’s and 1000’s of users.

SAP? Oracle? what else?

I’m sure MS Dynamics will get there oneday (much like SQL Server and their VM offering) but it will take a few years.

Earl
    Free Member

Green screen. The good old days!

Unless you are a mouse salesman.

nemesis
    Free Member

Can you point me to a (free) website that describes (in English) what particular SAP table are meant to do and how they relate to each other?

No. that’s what keeps those of us who know that information in work 🙂 I am being a little flippant but it’s true – I am always surprised that there isn’t more documentation around it. Mind you I could probably tell you most of them if you have some specifics.

And to give a more technical answer, part of the issue is that just because you know VBAK links to VBAP, VBRP VBEP, VBFA etc doesn’t mean that you actually understand the full structure of the data to generate reports (that are consistently accurate – most of it is fairly simple) which will vary depending on some parameters – eg order types, status, etc.

fieldini
    Free Member

I’ve been administrating SAP Business One for 8 years now, implementation and support is key. This is the reason why I have learnt so much because support was pretty rubbish from our SAP partner. The stuff I’ve managed to achieve with it has been a massive benefit to the business (not that I get any recognition for that) and yes although people have questioned how it does things in the end it always seem to be that the Germans have decided on the best way to do things after all.

nemesis
    Free Member

And that’s key. Any decent company pitching SAP will explain that you should expect to redesign your business processes (at least at a high level) to match SAP rather than try and do it the other way around – SAP processes follows best practice anyway IME. Problems often arise in that the company commits to SAP and then once the implementation starts, people/depts refuse to change and SAP then has to be frigged to work which causes the types of issues mentioned – or the company has to spend a lot to develop their own solution.

SAP is certainly not perfect – there are bits of it I hate – but in general as I’ve said, if done properly from both the business and IT side, it’s a brilliant product and can make real differences to how effectively a business runs.

br
    Free Member

“SAP is only as good as the implementation that configured it.”

this +1

No different to any other package/ERP.

No. that’s what keeps those of us who know that information in work

Oh well, it was worh a try 🙂

SAP – More tables than a Lyons tea house, and never knowingly under-engineered.

nemesis
    Free Member

Absolutely and that’s the root of this discussion – it can do loads of things, it has 1000s of options so that it suits almost everyone ONCE CONFIGURED PROPERLY.

That does of course mean it is hugely complex behind the scenes though (IIRC it’s around 200k tables). As I said though within reason, happy to help with your tables if you have any questions.

jfletch
    Free Member

I have a suspicion that SAP wasn’t developed by the Germans at all. It was a bunch of Italians pretending to be German. It has a thin veneer or ruthless efficiency over a massive pile of impenetrable bureaucracy.

molgrips
    Free Member

You could get a consultant in to make the changes above in less than an hour most likely (though if all 20 pen categories have actually been used it may make that harder now)

Should you need a consultant to do that kind of thing?

Sounds to me like that might be part of SAP’s problem…

nemesis
    Free Member

SAP don’t sell themselves as the cheap solution, just the best 🙂

I take your point and actually many companies would have people that could do all this work pretty easily but many others refuse to invest in them and as such are reliant on contractors…

Not to mention that given the impact of poor configuration on comapanies’ business (financial blackhole anyone?!), it makes sense not to allow it to be too open or easy to modify.

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘SAP’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts