Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Santander Phoned Me To Tell Me There Was Suspicious Activity On My Account…
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

… then as soon as I confirmed that it was indeed suspicious and I knew nothing about it they suddenly decided that there was nobody available to deal with my call. You couldn’t write this stuff.

Just transferred all my cash out of that account – steal nothing you muppets.

philconsequence
    Free Member

if you mail me your card number, expiry date and 3 digit security code on the back i’ll see what i can do to help dude 🙂

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

4547 XXXX 5654 XXX 12/13 666 – Cheers.
    {Edited – Mod}

philconsequence
    Free Member

feel like i’m being sucked in to this… but if those are your real numbers, edit your post! 😯

ericemel
    Free Member

LMAO!

project
    Free Member

you actually spoke to someone at santander, probably the worst bank for customer service……………….., thats when they answer the phone.

Harry_the_Spider

Did they ask you to confirm all your card and account numbers before they suddenly hung up?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

H_T_S – pretty much. Is that a bad thing or just usual Santander customer service? I’m a bit naive when it comes to security.

MSP

Could be santander, could be someone fishing for your details.

wwaswas

Is that a bad thing

only if you gave them your PIN as well?

I’d phone santander back and see if they have a record fo a call…

MSP

I have had a few calls from my bank about suspicious activity, 8usually when I am abroad, I always just thank them for their warning without confirming any details, and ring back on the telephone banking number to be sure its genuine.

chvck
    Free Member

Yeah that all sounds very dodgy to me!

Haze

Switched to Santander almost 12 months ago.

Spent more time on the phone to them in that short time than I ever spent with Barclays in the previous 20 years.

Awful, everything they do they mess up.

e2a: I did receive an automated call off them a few months ago regarding “suspicious activity”, I hung up when it started to ask for card details etc.
    Turned out it was a genuine Santander call and my response was the usual one.
    So why they haven’t bothered to change it yet is beyond me…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Aw Whit – I cant edit my numbers away now. :Facepalmbutdidntcomeuptheclydeinabananboatsmilie:

DezB
    Free Member

You guys kill me!!

toby1

But are you really nieve enough to publish your details on a forum? If you are close your account you should stick to cash under the matress!

I wouldn’t have that problem, till I pay day I literally have nothing left!

datsunman

I’m hoping this isn’t the kiss of death but Santander have been relatively good for me….. <fingers crossed>

I had a similar call and thought it was cobblers so rang them back, the call was genuine and I had had two thirty quid mobile top ups charged to my account, all refunded and sorted quickly.

-m-
    Free Member

Santander are truly hopeless in my experience. Against my better judgement I tried to open an ISA with them last year. 6 months later I had an ISA with someone else (set up in 15 minutes), a file of letters, and two separate goodwill payments totalling about £50 (to this day I think these were probably two separate payments from two different departments that didn’t realise the other was doing something).

thegreatape
    Free Member

[looks outside] rainy day [/looks outside].

Is it a rainy day where you are SBZ?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

great ape – nope – sunny here.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ah, so this isn’t, you know…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Far from it. It started life as a genuine mini-rantette then the doofusses turned up. You know how these things go.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Invariably.

In that case, all the best with the bank.

WackoAK
    Free Member

SBZ what questions did they ask you about your account?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Name address, bank card number, recent transactions, number off the back of the card, expiry date, mothers maiden name etc. Quite a lot to be honest.

wwaswas

Surrounded By Zulus

can you change it to;

Surrounded by the Gullible

?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I was thinking Cletus Plays the Banjo.

speaker2animals

It REALLY made me laugh post the financial crash. Santander advertising that by taking control of god knows how many other banks to make one big SUPER bank that your money would be nice and safe. How many people were suckered in to that one?

And yes I appreciate that a lot of other other banks are part of a conglomerate. Given what has gone on is this really good? Surely it would be better to have a lot of independent banks/building societies so that the nations money is spread wider? That way any one bank can obviously screw up their customers accounts but there would be far few longer reaching effects?

Thanks everyone who sold out their building society in the reign of the great Thatch, for a few grand.

BTW – I know nothing about economics, just in case that didn’t show!

molgrips
    Free Member

They are good at building giant lego tho.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Bank of Scotland did the same to me once, phoning up to report suspicious activity on our account. I wouldn’t confirm my details over the phone (how did I really know they were BoS before giving out various account details) and they wouldn’t confirm things over the phone despite my argument that I know who I am, they should confirm who they are.

As it was possible suspicious activity, I found the general phone number and got put through various departments to eventually land at the one who did phone me. Turns out someone cloned the card at a garage and there were attempts to use it in Australia.

I always find it the wrong way round that if a bank, power company, mobile company phones you out the blue, why should I have to confirm all my details – surely it should be a bit of both.

Just renewed my Orange contract and someone phoned on the new phone, same number to ask how I was getting on with it but could I just confirm a few details. Err, no thanks.

It is easy to step into though, and most calls would be genuine I imagine, I’m just naturally suspicious.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

A few years back I kept getting a call from someone asking me to confirm my full names, address, postcode, date of birth. Naturally I declined on each occasion (was happening a few times a week. They claimed they were from the Halifax and some googling of the phone number seemed to agree this fact.

Anyway, they kept phoning and kept asking for me to confirm who I was, so I decided to have a bit of fun. They phone, I answer. They ask me to confirm my details (well not confirm as such, just tell them), so I’d ask the same question right back to them. They were quite rattled, but still being utter cocks. It got to the point that the drone on the end of the phone refused to tell me the name and contact details of the manager there so I could call back to confirm they were who they said they were. It was fun, but I did feel slightly guilty when one chap started crying as I kept asking him what his full name and address was. 😆

I ended up phone the Halifax complaints department who agreed with me that no-one should volunteer the info they were asking me. Don’t suppose anythinghas changed though!

MrsToast
    Free Member

Barclays have a habit of putting a stop on my card at the slightest provocation, such as buying something online from a shop I’ve not used before. When they’ve phoned me, all they ask is for me to confirm my name and part of my birthdate – they’ve never asked for any card details at all – then they ask me to confirm whether recent transactions are genuine.

When I’ve phoned them, it’s been all automated, but same level of questioning. Asking for the card number and the number on the signature stip definitely rings alarm bells tbh.

DezB
    Free Member

I always find it the wrong way round that if a bank, power company, mobile company phones you out the blue, why should I have to confirm all my details

As long as they don’t have a Nigerian accent you’re fine.

spacemonkey

Yep, as mentioned above, if someone from a company/institution calls me ( as a customer), I always ask them to confirm what details they have already and then use a number to call them back.

Far too many dodgy folk out there praying on the <S_B_Z> naive</S_B_Z> type.

Cougar

I’m with the HSBC and they seem to have an inconsistent attitude towards security.

I get (genuine) calls occasionally where they ask me to confirm my identity. I tell them that they rang me, I know my identity but don’t know theirs, and they say ‘very good sir, can you call us back?’ Which, y’know, is a step in the right direction but I find it galling that they cold-call customers and encourage them to give out personal details.

Another one that makes me boggle is their online portal. It nags me to download their ‘rapport’ software which is supposed to do something ephemeral and undisclosed to my security, and then on the next step offers me a tick box to remember my login details on their web form…

soobalias
    Free Member

well the good thing is the card details have been confirmed on CRC, so there is no problem changing the delivery address.

i recommend that everyone has their stuff delivered somewhere untraceable as far as possible.

new endura stealth, lyrics and park tools kit is heading for my grans care home as we speak.

shmuk
    Free Member

“Name address, bank card number, recent transactions, number off the back of the card, expiry date, mothers maiden name etc. Quite a lot to be honest.”

I work for a bank.

Your bank would never ask for all this info.

Confirmation of your identity, yes, but not card numbers, expiry date, 3-digit card security number…

As far as I know, banks do not have access to their customers card details so requesting the info from you is of absolutely no use to them.

If I were you I’d cancel your card(s) & contact your bank to tell them you think someone’s got hold of your card/account details.

-m-
    Free Member

Another one that makes me boggle is their online portal. It nags me to download their ‘rapport’ software which is supposed to do something ephemeral and undisclosed to my security, and then on the next step offers me a tick box to remember my login details on their web form…

The best thing about Rapport is that they link you to a Rapport server to do the download; so it’s not some tested, known quantity they’re asking you to download, but a piece of software under someone else’s control. Always struck that this made Rapport the ideal vehicle for perpetrating exactly the type of attack it’s meant to protect against…

DezB
    Free Member

“Name address, bank card number, recent transactions, number off the back of the card, expiry date, mothers maiden name etc. Quite a lot to be honest.”

I work for a bank.

Your bank would never ask for all this info.

You know those rolly-eyed little face things people put on their posts? Ideal time?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

to those who are a touch slow – sbz is taking the piss

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Santander Phoned Me To Tell Me There Was Suspicious Activity On My Account…’ is closed to new replies.