Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Santa or Father Christmas?
  • SaxonRider

Because in Ukraine and Germany (my family’s extraction), there is a distinct emphasis on St Nicholas’ Day (Santa Claus), it is Father Christmas who comes on Christmas.

What is he called in your house?

Has ‘Santa’ become more common in recent years? Or in modern Britain, have the names been interchangeable for some time?

ElShalimo

Satan Claws

johndoh
    Free Member

100% interchangeable.

loddrik
    Free Member

Santa? Are you serious? That’s only one step away from talking about the boogeyman or ‘the holidays’!

May as well start celebrating thanksgiving.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Father Christmas in my house, if No1 starts talking about Santa I refuse to admit I know who he’s talking about, he’s onto me though.

He’s 10 now though so we’ve largely lost the battle of keeping Father Christmas as fact rather than fiction, No2 is only 14 months and prefers wrapping paper to toys and doesn’t care which drunk fat man brings them.

maccruiskeen

doesn’t care which drunk fat man brings them.

I’ll send my next door neighbour round then. 🙂

votchy
    Free Member

Father Christmas in our family

perchypanther
    Free Member

You see those little white boxes in the top corner of the room? ….. those ones where the little red light comes on when anyone moves?….You thought they were the sensors for the alarm system, didn’t you?

Wrong.

Those are the SantaCams.

The ones that Santa uses for surveillance of small, badly behaved children. Every time that wee red light comes on, an elf is watching you and recording your behaviour in a book.

You have been warned……

Bunnyhop

Father Christmas here.

nullpointer
    Free Member

Always Father Christmas.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbUVKXdu4lQ[/video]

ads678

Bit off both really. Is Santa Claus and american thing then?

smatkins1
    Free Member

It was always Father Christmas in my household growing up… although this is one (and probably the only) Americanism I’m happy to accept.

Santa sounds better… and isn’t the fat red man with a beard we’re referring to a Coca-Cola creation? So the American name Santa seems perfectly appropriate for him.

*edit* should have watched the educational video!

GrahamS

Interchangeable in our house.

Santa / Father Christmas / The Man In Red

“Santa” is probably used most often, purely for succinctness.

Those are the SantaCams.

We’ve been telling our eldest that since she was 2.

Coming up to 6 she is getting suspicious. 😀

SaxonRider

Santa is an American thing, insofar as the cross-fertilisation of cultures in New York (formerly New Amsterdam) saw Dutch observance of St Nicholas’ Day (Sinter Klaas) and the British and French versions of Father Christmas conflate into what Coca-Cola turned into the fat red man of Christmas advertising, and call Santa Claus.

Drac

Santy.

Father Christmas conflate into what Coca-Cola turned into the fat red man of Christmas advertising

Errrr! No.

SaxonRider

Not clear, Drac. Are you saying I got my facts wrong? I may have. I wrote that from memory. But if, so please correct.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Every time that wee red light comes on, an elf is watching you and recording your behaviour in a book.

Are you sure that’s Santa’s elves and not Theresa May?

GrahamS

Santa is an American thing, insofar as the cross-fertilisation of cultures in New York (formerly New Amsterdam) saw Dutch observance of St Nicholas’ Day (Sinter Klaas) and the British and French versions of Father Christmas conflate into what Coca-Cola turned into the fat red man of Christmas advertising, and call Santa Claus.

Down the chimney St. Nicholas came with a bound.
    He was dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot,
    And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot;
    A bundle of toys he had flung on his back,
    And he looked like a pedler just opening his pack.
    His eyes—how they twinkled! his dimples, how merry!
    His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
    His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
    And the beard on his chin was as white as the snow;
    The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,
    And the smoke, it encircled his head like a wreath;
    He had a broad face and a little round belly
    That shook when he laughed, like a bowl full of jelly.
    He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
    And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself;
    A wink of his eye and a twist of his head
    Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread;

— excerpt from A Visit from St. Nicholas published in 1823

You can already hear quite a few of the modern “Santa” tropes there: fat, jolly, rosy cheeks, fur, bag of toys, pipe (though less so these days!), coming down the chimney.

No mention of red though, but even Coke say that Santa was pictured wearing red before they got to him.

Drac

Not clear, Drac. Are you saying I got my facts wrong? I may have. I wrote that from memory. But if, so please correct.

You believed a myth, ironic really, as GrahamS points out he was in that format before they got him. Cola have a good advertisement campaigns so people remember their image and then believe the story they created the image.

GrahamS

Snopes says No. (but with little bits of maybe).

SaxonRider

Yes, but the author of A Visit from St Nicholas was American, writing at the time that said cross-fertilisation would already have occurred.

The red of St Nicholas is derived from the fact that red is the liturgical colour of martyrdom in the Latin Church, and St Nicholas himself died as one in the 4th century. But it is significantly different to the red suit sported by Coke’s version.

Not that I’m complaining.

mrsfry
    Free Member

How will Santa get past imigration control, let alone his helpers ? also what about clearnece to use UK airspace 🙁

GrahamS

St Nicholas himself died as one in the 4th century

What killed him? Was it the flue?

SaxonRider

But it’s the conflation of the two celebrations (St Nicholas’ Day and Christmas) that is of greatest interest, and confusion.

St Nick has long been seen as a ‘Christmas saint’ because his feast is 6 December, and children are traditionally given gifts by him. The Christmas gift-giving figure (Father Christmas) is derived more from the ‘spirit of giving’ that Christmas is supposed to be about – and which Dickens illustrates in A Christmas Carol.

SaxonRider

Scratch that. He wasn’t a martyr, but the Western (Latin) Church still depicts him in red.

The Eastern (Greek) Church depicts him in any variety of colours.

I just made the martyr thing up. Sorry. 😳

Drac

But it is significantly different to the red suit sported by Coke’s version.

Maybe so but they didn’t create the image.

Maybe it was these guys?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I just made the martyr thing up.

Don’t worry. The rest of it’s all been made up too.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

St Nicholas himself died as one in the 4th century
    What killed him? Was it the flue?

Or possibly Claus-trophobia
    Of course back in the 4th century there was no elf and safety …

Drac

Of course back in the 4th century there was no elf and safety …

Good times.

SaxonRider

Mr Woppit – Member
    I just made the martyr thing up.

Hi Woppit.

I wondered when you would drop in.

Happy Christmas to you, when it comes! 😀

SaxonRider

But since you mention it, while it is entirely within your right and prerogative to say that the content of the gospels has been made up, the history subsequent to the gospel narrative certainly hasn’t.

But I’m sure that’s not what you were suggesting.

slowoldman

Who? Doesn’t visit here.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Santa or Father Christmas?’ is closed to new replies.