Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Santa Cruz Solo owners?
  • cnud
    Free Member

Any real world, non sponsored Solo owners on here? I’m demoing one soon and just wondered how it copes with bigger terrain: Helvelyn, Snowdon, Cavedale, babies heads type descents. Not too bothered about the rear travel more how the head angle affects things.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I brought one about a month ago.

Its suprising how well it rides, seems fine to me on the steeper stuff.
    I am running 140mm Revs on mine.
    Its the bike i use 99% of the time now, I also have a Nicolai Ion 16 650b and this is rarely used.

One thing i did change was the Fox CTD Evo that came on the frame, Horrible shock,Either set up so it works on small stuff and it then bottoms out all the time, or set up to not bottom out made it not work on small stuff.Replaced with a Monarch RT3 and has transformed it.Also adding some Bottomless tokens to my Revs helped.

gfrew88
    Free Member

I’ve had one for the last year its up for sale on pink bike now if your interested.(getting a tallboy LTc)

excellent bike used it all over Scotland very capable bike on any type of trail. only downside is the low bottom bracket height be prepared for lots of pedal strikes especially on natural trails.

fathomer

Not quite the same, but I’ve got a TRc (essentially the same bike with 26″ wheels) and I’ve not come across anything in the UK that the bike couldn’t handle. Me on the other hand is a different story!

tomhoward

Had a carbon one since March, it’s perfect. When I first demoed it I thought it was a 140mm frame, such was its ability over bigger terrain, it climbs like a mountain goat and is lovely and light. Even raced a #enduro on it. Can’t recommend it highly enough.

cnud
    Free Member

Thanks folks, Coming from a Stumpy Evo and all my alternative thoughts are too similar to what I have already. Solo looks like a bike that can handle a life of natural terrain, just hope it can handle the odd big rock field occasionally.

Gilles

Got it from last April, and I like it very much:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gHKXVeH8FQ[/video]

I was also lucky to have it for one of the best summer we had!

thewalker
    Free Member

i to came from a stumpy evo,to a solo and never looked back,only thing i say is my stumpy was a medium but solo is a large short stem feels great around bpw wales and i fitted pike to the front set at 140

rickon
    Free Member

Nice video, looks like a good summer 🙂

Loooong stem mind 😉

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Yes, be carefull with sizing.

using an XL with a 45mm stem.

6ft 1.5

Large is 15mm shorter than the Large Nicolai i have..XL is 10mm longer,so using a shorter stem

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Very tempted with one too..
    I used to have a Heckler, but found the sizing, difficult..
    Looking at the geo, it looks like they’ve got it sorted? Decent TT Length, coupled with an average sized seat tube..

willv

Had mine a year now. Xl and I’m 6′ 2″.
    Use it for everything as it’s my only mtb now. It’s been up and down sticks and dolly wagon on helveyn no bother. Lots of lakes rides and local tracks around the seven stanes sites. It’s done a few races/enduros and ten under as a soloist.
    I’ve a RS rev on mine at 140mm but would be keen to try a pike on it. Climbs brilliantly.
    Great bike.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’ve literally today had my first ride on my Solo C. I have owned a blur TRC for 2 years before.

It’s an extremely capable bike, very stiff, fun geo, I originally had a Covert with a CCDB and the Solo/TRc can handle anything the Covert did. I regularly ride in the Peaks (Cut Gate, Ladybower) and you have to think a bit more about line choice to keep your speed up but there’s still plenty of travel to help you out of dodgy situations.

You obviously need the demo ride you have planned, I will definitely echo the sizing, I had a medium TRc before but now ride a large with a 40mm stem.

cnud
    Free Member

Good info thewalker, my evos a medium so I’ll request a large if poss to demo. Was thinking of converting my 150 Pike to 140 if I like it as well. Would be interested in some more opinions on the rear standard shock and if it’s worth upgrading at purchase. Willv sounds like he rides the kinda trails I do so that’s good to hear as well. Oh and I enjoyed that video Gilles thanks for posting it up. Looking forward to the demo now, don’t know wether to take s Bronson out as well or if that will just confuse me!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Anyone know who has demo SOLOs in an around the Cheshire Area?
    Mind, more than will to travel..

thewalker
    Free Member

forgot about rear i run a ctd factory shock with a volume spacer i dont use the climb mode just trail and desend i demo a large but it had a long stem didnt feel right i also thought of bronson,but never going to make thr alps. had a go of one but thought solo more fun,hope this helps

matthew_h
    Free Member

We’ve got a Santa Cruz Demo day on Saturday 31st Jan at 18 Bikes. There will be Solos available there.

beardo

Possibly talking to the converted here but….

Anyone tried an SB5c who has ridden or owns a 5010? If so what did you think?

SOAP
    Free Member

How long are you guys getting out of a set frame bearings?
    I’m a Blur trA owner

lungman

Gfrew88 so how much for the frame only and can I have pics of the frame

willv

Had to replace all the top ones within 9 months. The bottom pivots came loose a few times but seem ok now. Need to keep an eye on them.
    Probably worth a full service of the lower pivot soon as it’s on its second winter.

SOAP
    Free Member

I’m glad it’s not just my vpp that eats the bearings 9 month is pretty shocking for a 5k bike.
    Do you also get a very lost crack when removing the tapered washer?

gfrew88
    Free Member

gfrew88
    Free Member

its also on singletrack but I’m not sure on how to upload photos on this. Any idea?

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Bearings on my Bronson are 12 months old and still feel fine. How often do you use the grease gun?

tomhoward

Witchcraft and magic….

gfrew88
    Free Member

I’m guessing you need to be a subscriber

darrenspink
    Free Member

Nope. Upload your image to a image hosting place then grab the image address, click the IMG button in the editor and stixk the address in and Bob’s your uncle it appears when you click ‘Send Post’.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

that stem 😆

gfrew88
    Free Member

santa cruz say every 6 months as a guideline for changing the bushes in the linkage. Not sure about the bearings but i have stripped,cleaned,greased mine once and i have had it 12 months.

tomhoward

right click on the image in your pinkbike ad, go to ‘Properties’, copy the image address (ends with .jpg) then when on here type

Hey presto, Robert is your mothers brother.

Stevelol
    Free Member

The frame uses bearings, not bushes, and where have you read 6 months as an estimate? I got about 12 months out of my upper link bearings before one broke.

2hottie
    Free Member

Nice bike that however tire and rim logos don’t line up and that stem needs changing! Standards are slipping.

gfrew88
    Free Member

its my bike set up for me. As I’m 6ft 4 i put a higher rise stem on it as i was getting back pain on long rides. it seems to have helped so thats the reason for my silly looking stem.

willv

Grease lower pivot once a month. Upper pivot bearings, two had seized. Not sure if covers weren’t on right or not.

SOAP
    Free Member

I had a Pitch for 3 years and didn’t do a thing to it. Brilliant!
    I’ll be selling the blur tr Next month and getting a Transition suppressor. Giddy up giddy up 🙂

cnud
    Free Member

I had the Transition Patrol on my wish list ‘cos I love my Bottlerocket but there’s soooo many Horst link bikes out there now, it’s all a bit samey.

discapade
    Free Member

I have one in orange, i had 3 TRc’s which all cracked. I’ve had this for around 7 months and its awesome..I have done uplift days all over the place and only come unstuck once on a drop but thats it. I run mine with Pikes lowered to 140mm and the rear shock was terrible so had it Pushed and now the bike is sweet as..I am 5’9 and the medium is perfect mate

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Solo owners?’ is closed to new replies.