Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Santa Cruz Tallboy, what say you?
  • tomat0
    Free Member

Looking for a bit of advice/experiences/tirades of abuse about the Tallboy. Any owners on here? Got a test ride booked for friday but i’m impatient and want other peoples views. On paper they look quite short which is a concern…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ALL santa cruz’s are short

ive got a tallboy c, had a blur ltc and a blur xcc

sized up on the blur xcc, length was alright with a short stem, was too big in the leg though

dont be afraid of fitting a longer stem, 99% of people on this forum think anything over 50mm is too long, they however lead a miserable life, 75-90mm is where its at (especially on a SC)

bike reviews are a bit bollocks and emperors new clothes though,

dirtyrider
    Free Member

oh and heres mine

Kato

My mate has one and raves about it. From the brief ride I had I was pretty impressed!

tomat0
    Free Member

Are those Fox 34’s at 140? How’s that working out?

Maybe i’ll have to get over my phobia of ‘long’ stems if i take to it on the test ride.

timdb
    Free Member

Bought mine just before Christmas, love it. 😀
    I’m 193cm tall and got the XL which fits me really well..

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Are those Fox 34’s at 140? How’s that working out?

yes they are, feel spot on, rape price though

However, it is strong enough to handle 140mm forks, so if you really want, you can go there.

so say santa cruz

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I’m 193cm tall and got the XL which fits me really well..

5’6″ on a medium here with a 90mm stem, anything less and i must look like a t-rex in real life

tomat0
    Free Member

Dirtyrider, have you had time on other suspension systems and how does vpp compare? I seem to have had a string of single pivots or single pivot + linkages so i’m keem to try something different

Drac

Rode one a few weeks back Carbon LT version, was very nice indeed.

timdb
    Free Member

VPP works as well or better than the multi link Felt Compulsion II (Equilink?) I had before, FWIW.

beargotsoul

I took a Tallboy Alu out last week 120mm forks, enjoyed the ride but it didn’t feel better than the Whyte T 129 I tested a few months ago, the only other 29er I’ve ridden.
    It was great on the downs a little sluggish on the ups (probably something to do with the engine, could also need a XL I had a L demo) but when you put the power down on smooth single track or rocky tracks it took off, the VPP setup is excellent when it comes to pedal input. Amazing grip considering the conditions and had crossmarks fitted.
    I will be taking a T 129 out on the same route this weekend so will get a better comparison between them both.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Dirtyrider, have you had time on other suspension systems and how does vpp compare?

in the last 10 years, in order

patriot, turner dhr, orange 222, cannondale prophet, yeti 575, blur xcC, cannondale scalpel, blur ltc, tallboy C

on a blind on blind test I’m not sure i could tell what was what (apart from the dhr, 222 and the scalpel. the later being harsh as ****)

parisroubaix

I’m also think of a tallboy carbon (not LTC), with 100mm forks, for general xc/trail riding, would love to hear long term ownership experiences,and real down sides (ie low BB- ant ground strikes?), and whether getting a 2013 model with the rear axle would be worth it?
    Does the unpainted carbon finish wear well or mark/damage really easily?
    Any experiences shared would be great- thanks in advance

Paceman
    Free Member

I’ve had a Tallboy C for 8 months now in a size large with 120mm Rebas up front. I’m 5’10” and it fits me perfectly with a 80mm stem. I also demo’ed a medium back to back with the large and could have got away with either, but prefered the longer reach the size large gives. No real downsides in my experience. It weighs just under 27lbs with XT/Hope Hoops etc, decent standard trail kit, but could easily be made lighter with some careful spec choices. The frame feels very stiff and confidence inspiring as it tracks really well on rough terrain. Power delivery is excellent and it will fly if you’re willing to go for it. The VPP suspension coupled with the carbon build and larger wheels is a great package. It’s usually my lack of bottle that holds the Tallboy back, it’s certainly far more capable than it’s 100mm travel tag suggests! I came from a Yeti 575 and a Pace RC405 before that and wouldn’t go back.

paulevans
    Free Member

I found myself with both a Tallboy Carbon (large with 120mm Foxd forks)and a Nomad Carbon (again large). I live a ride in the Lakes and found that within a very short period of time the Tallboy was always my bike of choice and the Nomad was sat gathering dust. I wenmt on to sell the Nomad, unfortunately just before a trip to the Alps. Ended up taking the Tallboy with me and to be honest once i got over the thought of being on a XC oriented bike it handled everything that i threw at it.

I’ve subsequently sold the Tallboy and have bought a Tallboy LTc which for me is the perfect middle ground. 140’s upfront and super stiff frame tracks well and just powers up, down and over everything.

What i have noticed with both TB and TB LTc is their appetite for lower shock bushes on the rear shock. I reckon i’m getting about 4 months use out of them before they need to be replaced. The LBS reckon this ios down to the frame being soooo stiff and the bushes being sacrificial. Other than that, take care of the paint – chips very easily.

As for stems, running mine with a 70mm and 740mm bars. Wouldn’t want to go any shorter and longer on the stem.

[/url]
    Tallboy LT at Skelwith Bridge_edited-1 by humkler, on Flickr[/img]

binno
    Free Member

I have the current TBc 120mm forks and fairly stock build. Took ages making a decision on my next 29er, tried plenty (rocky mountain, trek, kona, giant, specialized, inner etc…) went with a Large. I’m 5.10″ run a 70mm stem fine, could run a 80 / 90mm happily too, but it’s been really fine with the 70mm.

Carbon = stiff, over being light weight. You really notice the advantage of this in rough trails. The bike is actually rather heavy, but it rides really well, pedals really well, climbs well and descends far beyond it’s 100mm rear travel would have you believe. It is rather tall. I’d ideally like to see an 18″ with 24″ ETT, but you quickly get used to the height and it does offer a very comfortable ride position.

tlr

Love mine. I tend to keep my wheels close to the ground though, and I like the ups at least as much as the downs.

At just over 6 foot tall I have a large with 90mm negative rise stem and flat bars, built up light but not silly at 23.5 lbs. great all day machine.

Built by those nice gents at 18 Bikes.

timdb
    Free Member

At just over 6 foot tall I have a large with 90mm negative rise stem and flat bars, built up light but not silly at 23.5 lbs. great all day machine.

Out of interest, what sort of component spec is yours?
    Mine is XL and weighs 27lb. It has mostly XT parts (2×10), with some XTR, Enve carbon bars and stem, hope hoops, tubeless etc but currently has a reverb post which may be going soon as I don’t think I need it on this bike..
    Curious as to where I can lose more weight off it easily ish?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

im at 26lb bang on with mine up there,

23lb seems skeptical, considering the below is 23

Paceman
    Free Member

Paulevans,

have you tried haeavy duty bushings? I think they’re available from TFTuned and may help the issues you’ve had with your rear shock mount.

I’d also be interested in the spec needed for a 23lbs build. The lightest mines been is just under 26lbs with race tyres on for the few dry weeks we had last summer.

Paceman

tlr

For those who are interested;

XTR 780 throughout inc pedals and brakes, SID World Cup 100mm with 15mm axle, EC70 bars, Ritchey 260 stem, ESI grips, Masterpiece post, SLR saddle, Stans Crest wheels and Hubs, Ikon tyres tubeless.

So nothing outrageous really, just put together with weight in mind. Could be a bit lighter on the wheel front I guess.

Scales are digital, but I have no idea if they are accurate or not. They seem correct when weighing lighter objects with known values.

I seem to recall that if all the manufacturers weights had been accurate it would be about 21lbs!

xanboy
    Free Member

Tallboy Carbon here. I’ve had mine a year, it’s been to Wales, Lakes and Peaks. It’s been absolutely blinding. I’m 5’11 and I’m running a large with a 90 mm stem and Easton flat bars. It’s got a 100mm fox fork up front and full XTR with stans rims on DT hubs. It’s just over 25lbs with a carbon post and 2.2 X-kings. If I stick a reverb and and Rubber queens on its just a gnats over 26.5lbs.
    It’s been really reliable and I’ve not had bushing problems, but it’s not ridden on rocky stuff too much about 25 days this year, the rest is XC stuff in Hertfordshire and places like wend over and swinley.

pete68
    Free Member

Had mine for a couple of years now. fox 120 Forks ,xtr and hope hoops.Best bike I’ve had in over 20 years mtbing. Still on original bearings and changed the bushings once. Will get them serviced in the spring though. Would definitely get another if anything happened to it. Recommended.

caspian
    Free Member

I have a Tallboy alu bought secondhand, OP. It’s heavier than the Whyte E-120 I had before which is now gathering dust, but inspires a lot of confidence. It’s an L and being 6’2″ it’s almost definitely too short for me but to be honest I don’t mind it at all.

Best of luck and hope your pockets are deep and your wife is away on business if you’re buying new.

tomat0
    Free Member

If i take the plunge i’ll be buying the alu frame and slowly hoarding parts in time for that week in June they call summer. Plan on 120mm forks, slx level kit, nice-ish wheelset, big volume tyres, dropper post. Not too concerned about overall weight, my SS is over 30lbs, so long as it’s a fun bike to hoon about on.

parisroubaix

love your bike dirtyrider, one of the best looking mtb’s not just 29ers I have seen, its awesome

mbl1
    Free Member

6’3″ and riding an XL. Fits like a glove. I have 120mm Reba’s which feel spot on too.

You wont regret getting one. 🙂

mbl1
    Free Member

Oh mine weighs 27.5lb with XT drivetrain, an Ardent and a Crossmark, a long Thomson post and pretty mid range finishing kit.

Ive never really tried that hard to lighten it but based on the MTBR forum 25lbs seems to be easyish to get it too.

They ride so well though that I honestly dont think its worth worrying about.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

+1 for dirtyrider’s ride! – must have been a good few £K’s to build! 😕

NZCol

I have an LTc and also a normal carbon TB which I have had for coming on 3 years now. The TB is my endurance race bike and has been severely abused in its time. Whoever wanted to know about how resilient they are – mine has been round the world 9 times on planes in various states of boxes. It has done 7 expedition races and been shunted on and off trucks in woefully inadequate bike boxes. It has done 3 big tours with a Freeload attached the rear carbon stays. It’s been dropped, beaten, crashed etc. up until a few months ago it was still in great fettle. I did then find an almighty crack in the top tube right in the curve on the top. I suspect it was squashed end on somewhere in transit. SC replaced without question and agreed to do that in hours.
    My T is setup with XTR mainly 355/ZTR hubs and decent kit weighs nigh on 25.5. Strangely I can build the LTc lighter as the frame is a different layup and lighter despite being longer travel. I run a 80mm -8deg stem on the TB and a 50mm on the LTc. I love both bikes for different things – a 100mm xc bike and a 140mm do it all beast. Interestingly everyone who has ridden mine has gone on to buy one amongst my friends and fellow racers ! The new ones are much better finished than the originals fwiw – my TB was one of the first from the factory and it was a bit rough in places. Saying that the new frame is way better. Money well spent in my opinion – original bike was still on the original bearings as well.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

+1 for dirtyrider’s ride! – must have been a good few £K’s to build!

couple of quid, should really wash it

slowboydickie

I’m 6’4″ and on an XXL with a 50mm stem and it is the first bike that actually fits me. I tried the XL and it was borderline too small. I have a set of revelation RCT3 that I ran at 140 at first. On the first few rides I didn’t really enjoy the ride too much and I was worried that I had bought the wrong bike, even after having done two test rides. However, after lowering the forks to 120 it completely transformed the ride, far more confidence inspiring. Love it. I fitted a works components -1 deg headset which slackens it to 69deg. Make sure you get the right gear ratio, I started out with a 42/28 which was way too tough for a 29er.

Paceman
    Free Member

How’ve you guys got your Tallboy’s set up?

Upfront i’m running 120mm Maxle Rockshox Rebas set up pretty firm as I don’t like them to dive; they’ve been faultless so far and track well out on the trail.

Out back I went for the Fox RP23 Kashima – set at 25% sag with Propedal off (used the Propedal for the first couple of months but the VPP suspension seems much better without it). Shock set at number 1.

Took me awhile but this seems to be the sweetspot for me.

nomad1975
    Free Member

Theres a new Tallboy for sale on Pinkbike if anyones interested…

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1253006/

built but never ridden, decided I need an XL, not the large! Oh well

singlespeedstu

Nothing of any value to add to this thread but i’ll take the chance to post up a pic of my TB LTc. 😆

It is teh awsumz. 😉

TBLTC by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

2012_0825talgarth0037 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

twistedpencil

They’ll happily run the fox 34s with 140mm travel? Bugger, I’d pretty much decided on a Nicolai Helius AC 29er.

Paceman
    Free Member

From what I believe, Santa Cruz have stated that the frame tolerances are high enough to run 140mm up front on a Tallboy. I’m running 120mm and finding that more than enough for general trail duties.

tomat0
    Free Member

Had the tallboy out for a demo today, couple of hours on trails i know well aaaaand, i’m not sold.

Two things i didn’t like, low front end and too slack a seat tube angle. Longer forks (120 rather than 100) and a few spacers under the stem would go some way to sorting the first issue, but would make the seat tube even slacker than it already is.
    With the saddle at a reasonable height it’s just too far behind the BB to be comfortable for my masher pedaling style. Inline post would help there but then that eats into an already short ETT. I wouldn’t want to swap to a longer stem to get that reach back either, 75mm is long enough for my tastes.

Little bit dissappointed really as aside from those two grumbles it was a fun bike.

Paceman
    Free Member

Some fair points Tomat0. I demo’ed a medium and a large and went with the large for similar reasons, also with an inline post as you suggest. Running 120mm up front and a 70mm stem works perfectly for me. Never found the front too low though but I guess we’re all different shapes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Tallboy, what say you?’ is closed to new replies.