Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Santa Cruz Tallboy LTC. Which kidney would Sir like to sell?
  • dingabell
    Free Member

I know it gets a glowing write up, but £2700 for the frame! Is it just me,or are manufacturers getting a bit too used to pulling our pants down? Is anyone actually thinking of forking out for one?

druidh
    Free Member

Other brands and models are available…

bigjim

I’m sure we’ll see some under the bellies of audi-driving stw readers at a pool-table-smooth trail centre soon 😆

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s just santa cruz’s carbon which is taking the pee. I think it’s more to do with Jungle than SC as they’re far more closely priced to the Pivot 5.7c and Ibis mojo HD in the US.

I’m sure we’ll see some under the bellies of audi-driving stw readers at a pool-table-smooth trail centre soon

I saw 2 of these on fives at FOD yesterday 😀 They managed a lap of the verderers.

binners

If people are discerning and technically demanding stupid enough to keep paying it, they’ll keep charging it.

As has already been noted: Propped conspicuously against the cafe entrance at a trail centre near you soon!

singlespeedstu

I’d love one.

But not at that price. 😐

honourablegeorge

wrecker – Member

It’s just santa cruz’s carbon which is taking the pee. I think it’s more to do with Jungle than SC as they’re far more closely priced to the Pivot 5.7c and Ibis mojo HD in the US.

Probably right – Mojo HD is under 2K, Intense Carbine is £2200 – but Santa Cruz frames are still always in short supply – Jungle will sell all they can import, no reason for them to reduce prices.

ska-49
    Free Member

US price: £1500.
    Im glad my Dad lives over there.

collie
    Free Member

As it is an evolution of an existing platform I fail to see how they can justify the price other than to make it unattainable for most and thus an aspirational ‘halo’ model.
    Would love one though!
    On the subject of SC 29ers I nipped in to an SC dealer to have look at the new SL 29er (very nice too) the only problem was that the young fella wasnt interested in talking about the SL (at the upper end of my budget) and possibly making a sale, all he tried to do was sell me a Tallboy by telling me how good that was. For another £800…
    I left feeling that a £1000 frame was a somehow not worthy of my consideration.

sambob
    Free Member

£1500 for an LTC Ska-49? Surely that’s the alloy version?

wrecker
    Free Member

$2800 sambob. Same as the TRc.

ska-49
    Free Member

Sambob, as wrecker said $2800 dollars which is £1672 (today) then add a bit of haggling and your down to £1500. Tried and tested.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

i’d be tempted if I won the lottery…on paper I can’t see a reason for ever needing another bike (until the next big thing of course)

I am considering the alu version though. I wanted a Bandit 29 but they have all gone in my size.

sambob
    Free Member

Wow. Sounded too good to be true. If I had the money, I’d combine it with a US riding holiday. That’s only 200 more than a Bandit 29. Grrr…

bikebouy
    Free Member

The Tallboy rocks, this version rocks more IMO.

Drool’idge.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Sambob, as wrecker said $2800 dollars which is £1672 (today) then add a bit of haggling and your down to £1500. Tried and tested.

Then add the 30% so tax the yanks pay is it not…?

bedmaker

Is anyone actually thinking of forking out for one?

Deposit down 😯

People who earn the same as me buy cars which depreciate that much in a year – making the LTc look like super value in comparison.

Forget haggling – they can’t make them quick enough.

Ringo
    Free Member

transition bandit is better value and mines fookin ace

bedmaker

Tried the lt and bandit at the weekend, bth great but I preferred the lt

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Other brands and models are available

This is not the BBC 😉 😆

singlespeedstu

Where did you try the LT?

bedmaker

Bothy bikes had one at the Laggan demo day stu – Ally one ratehr than carbon.

singlespeedstu

mmmm.

Might have to try one out.

Tried the Bandit and liked it but no availability for a fair while. 😐

devs
    Free Member

Is the LTc the longer travel version? I got mine before it was available but if it has kept the ride quality of te original tallboy then it is a winner. I demo’d and bought mine from Bothy and love it. Yes cheaper and probably better value bikes are out there but once I had tested the tallboy, with a wee dividend in my pocket, there was no way I wasn’t getting one.

neil853
    Free Member

I’m going to have to test ride one to compare it to my standard 26 LTc. What people think is economically worth while is subjective, I use mine alot and get a lot of enjoyment from it. Just the main foscus for most of my money 🙂

NZCol

Mine arrives in a week or two. Rode the alloy one and have been on a carbon Tallboy for about 3 yrs. fits the same really but rides better. I always said the Tallboy with more travel would be a great bike and my ride showed that to be the case. I don’t pay rrp thankfully. Just sold my Tallboy for a lot as well on an auction.

NZCol

Mine arrives in a week or two. Rode the alloy one and have been on a carbon Tallboy for about 3 yrs. fits the same really but rides better. I always said the Tallboy with more travel would be a great bike and my ride showed that to be the case. I don’t pay rrp thankfully. Just sold my Tallboy for a lot as well on an auction.

br
    Free Member

I know it gets a glowing write up, but £2700 for the frame! Is it just me,or are manufacturers getting a bit too used to pulling our pants down? Is anyone actually thinking of forking out for one?

Who cares what somebody else will pay for something, it’s their money.

And does seems good value compared to the ‘servicing my posh watch’ thread…, £450! 😯

singlespeedstu

Just booked a test ride on the alloy on for the whole of next bank holiday weekend.

Let’s see what it rides like before i decide if it’s expensive or not. 🙂

manitou
    Free Member

If you like it and can afford it.. buy it.. is my motto 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

I had a Tallboy 29er for two days back in March, most excellent bike IMO. I’ve been looking for something like it for a little while and since handing it back thought about the cost, so looked at Rumblefish and Camber.. both excellent bikes, but something about that Tallboy keeps bringing me back to it.

MrTall
    Free Member

Is it £2700 though???

The review in WMB this month says it’s £2699 for the frame, fork and shock? Seeing as the Fox F34 forks are best part of a grand it’s still expensive but not ridiculous.

But the review could be wrong i guess?

Which figure is correct Bedmaker?

singlespeedstu

£2700 is list price for frame and shock only.

http://www.santacruzbikes.co.uk/tallboy_lt_carbon

MrTall
    Free Member

Ouch!

Paceman
    Free Member

Overpriced MTB kit usually has to be reduced to sell towards the end of the season. I’ve never seen the top end Santa Cruz frames reduced.

As they said above, you make your choice, pay the money and ride.

bedmaker

£2699 frame, shock and fork is maybe the aloominum one?

neilferther
    Free Member

I bought a Tallboy carbon in Sids Bikes NYC, the complete bike didn’t cost much more tham the frame and shock in the UK. It came with 120mm fox forks, XT bits and some really nice mavic/dt swiss wheels.
    It was very easy to bring back. Even with the sales tax in the USA it was a big saving and the bikes are available.

stewartc
    Free Member

Though not an LTc, my TRc frame (+shock) retails for around the same price in the UK but I got mine in Hong Kong for 1,530 GBP, though that does include a 10% discount.

Paceman
    Free Member

It will be interesting to see how the price of the Tallboy LTc compares with direct competion such as the Ibis Ripley 29er and Yeti SB-95 carbon when they’re released shortly. I’d expect them to be a similar price.

DezB
    Free Member

Look at my thread!

2 years ago this was: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/carbon-full-sus-frames-silly-prices

I would like to have think i made a difference, by bringing this out into the open. But I didn’t.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Tallboy LTC. Which kidney would Sir like to sell?’ is closed to new replies.