• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Shred.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Santa cruz tall boy?
  • turbo1397
    Free Member

I’ve been deliberating over the above for a while. I had fancied a 5010.. but I’ve got the chance of a carbon tallboy with great spec at a really good price. I’ve been on one so know the sizing. But never ‘really’ ridden one. Are they that good?

devs
    Free Member

I had the original and the LTc. If I could I’d have one of each 🙂

tom.nash

I loved a blast on a Tallboy but needed an XL to get the fit right (Im 6ft and ride L in any other brand). Now getting a new 5010 with the longer top tube so going to a large. It might be a great price but a) check the sizing and b) if it’s too good to be true then it probably is…

boxelder

I got a similar SH deal. Great, fast XC bikes. Not the stiffest, though light and capable.

gfrew88
    Free Member

I’ve been riding a LTC carbon for the last 6 months and its the best bike I’ve ever owned.
    amazing for big days out and very capable of hammering enduro and alpine descents

hodge100
    Free Member

I own a 2016 Tall boy c XL, I am 6 foot 1″ and it’s spot on. I’ve put a 70mm Thompson stem on and Santa Cruz Carbon bars and a Thompson dropper post I have Stans flow with hope hubs and run conti mountain King tyres. It’s a brilliant bike now I’ve got it dialled in. My local trails are the Lake District and it handles anything you put in its way. Buy it!

paulevans
    Free Member

I had TBc in large. I’m 6″ and it was great, until I tried the LTc. Sold the TB and have been riding the LTC now for a couple of years. Great great bike. Live and ride in the Lake District and it never misses a beat.

LTc is now longer showing on SC website – I wouldn’t be surprised to see it relaunched at some point as a 27.5+ or 29+.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get a Pyga or a Transition; far better bikes for less money no doubt.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input folks. I’m 6ft 2″. It’s an xl I’m looking at. Most of my stuff is natural stuff I ride. Skye, torridon etc. Don’t do anything too gnarly..

pipiom
    Free Member

Love my LTC……just does everything, if it’s in good nick get it bought.

boxelder

Leggy 6’4″ and on an XXL here. Similar riding to you.

bowglie

I’m just under 6’1″ and have had a Tallboy LTc for the last couple of years. Normally run either a 70mm or 60mm stem and 760mm bars and I like the fit – I have a liking for really steep techy natural trails and find that the bike has a nice compact feel….for the type of bike it is. I’ve demo’d a couple of TBc’s, and in a perfect World, would love a TBc and my LTc. I found the TB’s much easier uphill, but preferred the balance of up/down capability of the LTc for rough natural trails – if I was just doing trail centres, I reckon a TBc would be perfect.

FWIW, my OH has a large Superlight 29, which is exactly the same geometry as the TB – she’s running a 55mm stem and 785 bars and it feels great; only notice the handling getting very slightly ‘edgy’ feeling at high speeds over rough ground – but even then it’s not that bad. If you can bag a demo of a L and XL TB, it might be worth a go.

jamcorse

Tbc, best bike I’ve ever ridden for natural trails, marathon etc. with 120mm forks, it works beautifully.

jonnyv
    Free Member

Fantastic bike,I’ve had one for 3 years.6 2 and an XL.Fast,light,railed and good fun.

Shred
    Free Member

I had a TallBoy C v1, and now have a v2 warranty replacement due to the disbanding issue on my v1.

They are short, I am 6′ and run a large with a 110mm stem for XCM riding with a 120mm fork. For me, the 100 fork was too short and I had 2 bad peddle strike accidents.
    Great bike, just stay on top of you linkage maintenance, which is really easy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Santa cruz tall boy?’ is closed to new replies.