Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Santa Cruz Superlight: new vs old
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Does the new one flex like a wet noodle in the way the old one did?

cynic-al
    Free Member

*bumpity*

DanW
    Free Member

What is “new” and “old”? I wouldn’t call my 2011 Superlight frame noodly at all if that helps. Main comparison is my new Hi-Mod Cannondale Scalpel with a Carbon Lefty which is as stiff as a stiff thing! 2011 seems to be the same as the latest version but with a standard rather than tapered headtube. Absolutely awesome frame that I’ve build up to ride anything and everything and it has more than looked after me 😀 Only wish I bought a Large!

richmtb

Define new?

I’ve got a 2010 Superlight, the one with a curvy swing arm. I believe the current frame is the same bar a small tweak to how the bearings are mounted (no pinch bolts on the swing arm)

Its not as stiff as my 5 Spot but then its about 4lbs lighter

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think it changed around 2008?

I tried the older model as an alternative to the same vintage Heckler, but it was too flexy.

I heard the new ones are stiffer which would make it about right for me, as long as it’s not too steep, but I’d like some verification.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Its not as stiff as my 5 Spot but then its about 4lbs lighter

don’t think a superlight frame is 4lbs lighter than a 5 spot ???

superlight frame is 5lb at the very minimum (doubt it though – the anthem is just over 5) and a 5 spot is about 7.3lb at most.

richmtb

Well I wouldn’t call it noodly but it does flex, you can feel a bit of sideways movement in some corners but its not too bad.

They are quite steep unless you run a 120mm fork. HA with a 120mm fork would be around 69 degrees.

They are solid for a 100mm xc bike

richmtb

don’t think a superlight frame is 4lbs lighter than a 5 spot ???

Meant overall bike weight, but yes you are right

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I’ve had both-still have the later version. Great do it all bike, later version seems stiffer but I’m only small so probably don’t have the ability to twist it anyway. I run RS Revelations, usually at 110mm but occasionally at 130 and it seems ok. Just a good design that was right from the off.

zippykona

I’ve got a 29 and I’d say it’s twisted twice in 500 off road miles. It feels more of an articulation than a twist .
    Either way it’s not an issue and I wouldn’t let it bother you.

DanW
    Free Member

2008 they got a fairly hefty redesign, 2011 the pinch bolts on the swingarm were replaced with collet bolts, 2012 tapered headtube. I think that is pretty much the recent evolution.

My 2011 Medium frame was 2570g with a Fox Float R and chainstay protector (to the nearest 10g). Pretty much the same weight as an Anthem etc but larger mud clearance and fewer pivots, more fun and slightly less “XC race”.

In 18 months of all weather off road riding I have only needed to replace the lower shock bush- everything else is running as new. A slight tune of the shock at Loco made it even sweeter but a great all round frame. I view the Superlight as a more practical, more fun and more maintenance free XC bike in the Anthem mold. It has a more robust and fun feel than the Anthem at the expense of a slight feeling of XC race speed. If this fits your bill then you certainly won’t be disappointed.

earl_brutus

Just swapped over my mk 1 superlight to the 2010 frame, stiffer yes, lighter, yes but only marginally, still rides like a superlight and looks much sexier with the curvier swing arm

cynic-al
    Free Member

zippykona – Member
    I’ve got a 29 and I’d say it’s twisted twice in 500 off road miles. It feels more of an articulation than a twist .
    Either way it’s not an issue and I wouldn’t let it bother you.

It might be if you are used to riding a Heckler.

DanW
    Free Member

It is a 2.5kg XC frame that rides like a 2.5kg XC frame. If your riding style and weight are suited to this genre of frame then you wouldn’t notice any issues and won’t be disappointed. I would question the frame type that may or may not be suited to an individual rather than the exact frame model of one manufacturer or another in the light(ish) XC category

twonks

I bought the original frame in 2000 and rode it quite hard when I lived in good ol Yorkshire.

In 2007 the frame cracked so I got a new version with the curvy rear and have been happy ever since.

Went to 120mm forks and heavier Arch EX rims this year and it copes well with everything I throw at it – which at 17st mass is quite a bit.

Don’t find it flexy at all and I have a C456 for comparison which is rather stiff.

GHill

I feel I should point out that if we’re talking new, the Superlight is now 29er only (although there may be some 26″ stock kicking around).

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Superlight: new vs old’ is closed to new replies.