Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Santa Cruz superlight frame sizing
  • bluesbreaker
    Free Member

Hi, first post here. I’m looking at buying a sc superlight but unsure whether to go for a medium or small. I’m fairly short (5ft 8in) and have short legs – about a 29 inch inside leg. At the moment I ride a Specialized rockhopper hard tail which I bought in 2008, it has a 16 inch (actually a bit less) frame from BB to top of seat tube and that seems to fit about right.

But, bike sizes now seem to be small, medium, large etc and I don’t know what this equates to in inches? Anyone know the superlight sizes?

Feel free to suggest any other bikes to look at, I’ve also been looking at the Yeti 575. I have around £800 max to spend on a used xc/trail bike full susser. Also I’d like a 650b wheel size.

Thanks!

nuke

Roughly same height as you and i previously had a medium SL. However, that was a few years ago and now with wanting a dropper seatpost I’d want the small so i could fit a decent length dropper but then the frame would be a bit short 😐

So the question i ask is what type of riding do you want it for and are you likely to want a dropper?

bluesbreaker
    Free Member

Hi, thanks for the reply. I was planning on putting a dropper on it at some point, probably not straight away though and can do without if I have to. It’s the same problem I have, my 16 inch Specialized feels perfect in height but I feel slightly bunched up so could do with a slightly longer frame.

I know the best thing would be to try them out but there’s nowhere near me that stocks them and as I’m buying used that’s not really an option anyway.

I would mainly be doing xc riding, between 2 and 6 hours at a time, no major downhilling or anything but fairly technical single track stuff.

Do you know roughly how high your seat post was with the medium frame?

duckman

They are wee, I had an XL 29. I am 6″2″ with a 34 inside leg.

zippykona

I’m your size and had a medium. It fitted perfect. You only get a usable bottle mount on the large.
    My legs used to hit the swing arm. I’m the only person that it happens to but if you can try before you buy I would.

bluesbreaker
    Free Member

Thanks guys, looks like I’ll be good with a medium then, makes it a bit easier as I don’t see many smalls for sale!

nuke

Do you know roughly how high your seat post was with the medium frame?

No, afraid not. I’m on a Trek Remedy currently which has a 16.5″ seattube (about the same as the small SL) and, with my 125mm dropper, theres only about 10mm left of seatpost I can insert i.e. I know I can’t really buy a frame with a seattube bigger than 16″ in the future if I want to run a 125mm dropper.

Personally I’d look at another brand as the SL comes up short compared to other brands…I’d also like a SL but concede i can’t make the bike fit me. If I didn’t want a dropper, I reckon I’d get one

bluesbreaker
    Free Member

[quoteNo, afraid not. I’m on a Trek Remedy currently which has a 16.5″ seattube (about the same as the small SL) and, with my 125mm dropper, theres only about 10mm left of seatpost I can insert i.e. I know I can’t really buy a frame with a seattube bigger than 16″ in the future if I want to run a 125mm dropper.

Personally I’d look at another brand as the SL comes up short compared to other brands…I’d also like a SL but concede i can’t make the bike fit me. If I didn’t want a dropper, I reckon I’d get one[/quote]

Ok thanks, I’m going to try and find one near me so that I can try it out for size before making a final decision. What other brands would you suggest I look at? I’ve been looking at the Yeti 575 but again no idea about the sizes.

canopy
    Free Member

I’m 5’7 with 30 inch inside leg.

I’m riding a Medium Superlight that was built in 2010, but it dates as a 2007 frame (its the newer prettier/less industrial style swingarm style). I replaced both the bottle bolt sets with plastic blanks and switched to using a camelbak. Absolutely love the bike.

I also just installed a 100mm dropper, and run the seat at 180mm height.
    What with the mechnicals of the seat mounting parts on this dropper there is only 40mm above the seat post clamp, with the remaining 40mm being the bits below the seat. (40+40+100=180). This could vary by 10mm or so due to other crank lengths. Works great for me.

Only downside to your post is.. I’m not sure about the 650b side of things? I think I’ve only seen older L frames converted, and don’t know about official models beyond 2010.

My next change is to run the biggest tyres I can fit, both frame and forks (mine has fox f100 rl) spec max is 26×2.3, which I have on the way (Specialized Purgatory) and hope to have fitted over the Bank Holiday.

bluesbreaker
    Free Member

Thanks canopy, at least i know there are options re the seat post. Will have to look further into the 650b conversion. Do you have a pic of your bike?

rony
    Free Member

What part of the country are you in?

bluesbreaker
    Free Member

I’m in South Manchester, Poynton to be exact. If anyone has a medium SL and is in reasonable distance would love to try it for size!

canopy
    Free Member

these are both pre-dropper, and obvs pre the 2.3 tyres. my bikes spec is non-standard though. it was a no-expense spared build from the frame up for a guy who’d had a bad motorbike accident and wanted a FS to save his back.

Click for full size..

April on the Mendips

June on the Quantocks (Higher Hare Knap Cairn looking West)

rear mech changes from XTR rapid rise on first pic to shadow XT on the second.. due to an incident in a trail called “wigglywoo” on the mendips 😀

DanW
    Free Member

I had a Med 26er SL at 5’9″, but that was with a 120mm stem. Now I would look for a Large but it would still be a touch short for me. Although they say the Geo is pretty much the same as a Tallboy it is shorter and taller IIRC

I’d personally size by stack and reach rather than ST length.

On a more practical note, you’ll struggle to buy one of the newer SL’s both SH or new as they’ve discontinued them and weren’t many around in the first place. Also a very different bike to a 575. Maybe a Bantam could be worth a look?

canopy
    Free Member

Yup I’ve never seen anything newer than about a 2010 for sale in the SH market. a 2010 one looks like my frame, but the external gusseting is removed giving a slightly cleaner look.

good guide on all models here

http://nsmb.com/5172-the-history-of-the-superlight/

bluesbreaker
    Free Member

Ok thanks for the advice, and thanks for the pics canopy – looks very nice 🙂

I must admit I haven;t seen any of the newer ones for sale since I started looking, but its only been a couple of weeks. I’ll keep me eye out but will check out the Bantam too.

Can the older medium sized 26ers be converted to 27.5 easily? What would the conversion entail?

Are there any other bikes you can suggest that are similar to a SL. Basically I want a good all-rounder full susser that is as light as possible for the money.

Edit – Just been looking at the Bantam and that looks great too so it’s definitely on the list. Does anyone know the weight though? It seem to be the only downside compared to the SL.

Thanks again for the advice so far , much appreciated.

canopy
    Free Member

i don’t know anythng about 650b conversions 🙁 but i have seen it come up on google

This Superlight, same design as mine just appeared on eBay. http://r.ebay.com/K6WmuT

When I was looking, I had my eye on Marin Mount Vision Pro and Specialized Epics. Almost bought an Epic, even test rode it. I’m not sure what I’d do if I did it all over again. there’s nice FS stumpjumper pro for similar money in hhe SH market. can’t remember how to wittle it down from the other stumpjumper models anymore.

bluesbreaker
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ve had my eye on that one on Ebay, if it was closer I would go and take a look but I don’t really want to buy before trying, or at least having a proper look in person.

The Epics look great but I have a Specialized already and wanted a change, not sure if I would find one in my price range too, but I’ll have a look.

DanW
    Free Member

If you are looking for an “all rounder” then a Cannondale Prophet is well worth a look. Geometry stacks up pretty well against modern frames, not heavy, lots available on ebay, great ride and the internet suggests 650b-able too 🙂 Cannondale Rush is also a great bet for a more XC/ Marathon orientated bike but I’m not too sure on the 650b side of things… just some extra thoughts having browsed the bay myself recently 🙂

bluesbreaker
    Free Member

Thanks Dan, will check those out too 🙂

canopy
    Free Member

I remember the prophet coming up, and the orange st4 which i really liked the sound of. problem is, lack of availability in the SH market.

Here’s a pic from my damp Quantocks adventure this morning for you. Purgatory 2.3s just installed.

Click to enlarge

bluesbreaker
    Free Member

Thanks canopy – nice pic, and looks like a great place!

Yep I’ve been looking on eBay and there doesn’t seem many prophets, also no Bantams at all, even under completed listings – except for one frame.

There seems to be a lot stumpjumpers around so they are still on the radar but would prefer a superlight or bantam if I can find one. Will check out the Orange that you mentioned.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz superlight frame sizing’ is closed to new replies.