Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Santa Cruz Nomad/180 forks
  • chris36860
    Free Member

Looking at buying a new Nomad frame in the next few months and want to know if anybody runs one with a set of 180mm forks? The rear is 160 and I have a set of 160 fox 36 from my heckler that I can fit but I fancy some of the 180 Vans from JE James that are in offer.

If so, how does it ride? I’ll use it for the Alps each year and a few uplift days, but it also needs to do Afan/Brecfa type trails.

Experiences??

tomhoward

Not on a nomad but intense Slopestyle, so similar (slackish 160mm vpp rear), I ran 200mm forks out in the alps (160 mm normally), really made the bike alot more stable and inspired confidence on the downs. Was a bugger on the ups though….

chris36860
    Free Member

It’s the ups I’m worried about!!

nowthen
    Free Member

I have been running Fox 36 180mm TALAS on my Carbon Nomad for the last six months or so. Lots of “enduro” type riding, grind up and then bomb down.

Used the TALAS once and tried it for 10 seconds, handling felt strange, after that never touched the TALAS again… but on the descents, this bike can handle anything. Far more capable than my SOCOM with Boxxer teams.

What I will say is I got the 1 1/8 steerer and used a zero stack headset, zero rise 50mm stem and Raceface low rise bars, so all this helps to keep the front end a reasonable height.

chris36860
    Free Member

Thanks Nowthen, the new Fox vans look like the stand over hight is the same as the 160s as the extra 20mm is lower than the axle ( I might be wrong ). I run a 50mm stem at the mo. the front end isn’t too lite on the flat stuff is it??

chris36860
    Free Member

Bump for the evening crowd.

nowthen
    Free Member

Hi Chris,

I think the 180s are 10 or 20mm taller than the 160s, but as i said with a zero stack headset or a little more sag its not much difference at all.

Sometimes the front lifts a bit on steep climbs, just have to adjust my body weight forward a touch to compensate when it happens. Also the climb position on the CTD shock seems to help by keeping the rear suspension more firm, meaning you are not tipping backwards too much. On the flat, no issues at all.

chris36860
    Free Member

Thanks Nowthen, you’ve sold me!!

nosedive
    Free Member

ive just put a set of those 180 vans on my enduro. they are taller than 160 mm fox but ive got a flat bar ready to sort that. forks are amazing though and the bike still climbs fine

cubemeup
    Free Member

Have a look on freeborn cycles at the bos 170, I run 36 vans and I don’t think I would change

robj20
    Free Member

I ran 66 ATA 180mm on mine for ages, they were fine. Only recently changed to 170mm Lyriks for the lighter weight.

mtbant
    Free Member

Marz 66 ti on mine, can be a bit of a handful at the steep ups but its doable.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Nomad/180 forks’ is closed to new replies.