Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Santa Cruz Nomad
  • What a bike. I hired a Santa Cruz Nomad from The Hub at Glentress on Saturday with the spec below. I usually ride a hardrock pro and while I enjoy the hardtail I feel that it’s time to move to full suss. This bike performed fantastically, it gave me great confidence in the corners and drop offs. The advantages of a full suss are well documented and I intend to be riding one before my next trip to the alps, but I am wondering if this bike is just a little too expensive? for 2800 I reckon I could build a yetti 575 with similar spec, with greater travel. Saying that it was hard to fault the Nomad. The brakes were sharp, the gear changing precise the ride was second to none. In fact I rode the hardrock sunday at Innerleithen and was completely shocked by the difference in performance. On the hardrock stuff that seemed easy yesterday became a problem. Anyone else have any experience of the Nomad?

Frame: Nomad Aluminum VPP2 frameset with carbon links, Rockshox monarch 3.3 shock.
    Forks: Rockshox Lyric Solo Air
    Rear Derailleur: XT
    Front Derailleur: SLX
    Shifters: SLX
    Chainset: Truvative Stylo 3.3
    Freewheel: Shimano 11-34
    Headset: Cane Creek S3
    Stem: Truvative
    Handlebars: Truvative Stylo Team
    Front Brake: Avid Elixirs 180/160mm
    Rear Brake: Avid Elixirs 18/160
    Rims: WTB Lazerdisc
    Front Hub: Hope Pro11
    Rear Hub: Hope Pro 11
    Tyres: Kenda Nevegal
    Saddle: WTB Pure race
    Seatpost: Easton EA50

backhander
    Free Member

Nomad has more travel than a 575. If you know that you like the nomad and can afford it why not just go for it? Seems about right for the price to me.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Overkill for trail centres IMO, Heckler is way cheaper and better suited (having ridden both – albeit older versions)

backhander
    Free Member

Overkill? Who cares?
    Buy one if you like it, the additional 0.5″ travel isn’t going to kill you.

chakaping
    Free Member

but I am wondering if this bike is just a little too expensive?

It is one of the most expensive MTBs on the market. There are lots of other very good 6in travel bikes available as well, some much cheaper.

Have you thought about going on one of them demo days to check a few out?

backhander
    Free Member

Eh? I don’t think he’s talking about the carbon one.
    £2800 for a full bike at that spec is about right isn’t it? spesh enduro pro, lapierre spicy etc?

chakaping
    Free Member

Comparable Enduro is about £2,200, Spicy less than £2,500, Fritzz £2.4 (way better spec).

Just a few alternatives – but if somebody wants a Nomad anyway then £2.8k for a complete bike seems better value than £2k for frame only, yeah.

richmtb

So a top end full sus rides better round a trail centre than a budget hardtail.

Well I never!

saxabar
    Free Member

Try a few others too. Many stores will lend you a demo version for a day (some charging a small fee). You might find you don’t need something so burly. On the other hand, I ride an Alpine 160 and find it fine for all purposes. Just be sure to keep the hardtail for the tamer of routes.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I would suggest that a Blur LT2 would be a better bet for trail centre and general riding. It’s got exactly the same suspension, but 140mm rear and 140-160 front suspension. Except for really big jumps and drops it’s just as capable as the Nomad, climbs a bit better, lighter, and more nimble on the tight stuff

DT78
    Free Member

I have a mrk1. Great bike. I have 2 wheelsets, on for DH in the alps/uplifts and one for trailcentres. Does it all.

with regards to your comments on brakes and gearing that is kind of irrelevant to the frame itself, if setup right they’d be just as good on my hardtail.

I’ve ridden both a heckler and alpine 160 mentioned in the thread, both weren’t a patch in my opinion.

Ewan
    Free Member

I’ve had one since 2006, best bike i’ve ever owned. Normally i’d have replaced it with the flavour of the month a couple of years ago, but the only thing i’d go and buy is a new one.

dyls

Superb bike when I demoed one, went with a blur lt2 in the end but would also be happy with a carbon nomad.

cynic-al
    Free Member

backhander – Member
    Overkill? Who cares?
    Buy one if you like it, the additional 0.5″ travel isn’t going to kill you

The extra lb and perceived slowness when pedalling might spoil your day though,

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Nomad’ is closed to new replies.