Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Santa Cruz Hightower
  • hughjayteens
    Free Member

http://m.pinkbike.com/u/mikekazimer/blog/santa-cruz-hightower-first-ride.html

Interesting to see a choice of wheel sizes as a factory option and that the 27.5+ has longer forks. I reckon a 150mm forked version with both sets of wheels could be the ultimate quiver killer do-it-all bike if your wallet is deep enough.

honourablegeorge

Hmm – looks liek it was taken down. More Embargo fun

scotroutes

There’s a thread – and photos – on mtbr (if you’re quick…..)

AlexSimon

From MTBR:

135mm rear travel, 67* HTA, 433 CS, frame 5.9 lbs. No FD. Boost. 29/27.5+. Reach is 450mm on a large! STA 74.3*. WB on a large is 1187.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

if it’s embargo’d then it’s best not to post links as it gets everyone in trouble

johnnystorm

Pinkbike link is live.

thepodge
    Free Member

Meh, was hoping for something pushing the boundaries but its just the same as everyone else’s 2016 bikes.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

I’ll be keen to see a test report & how it compares to a Evil Following, just built a new bronson that now might be up for sale Dam…..

barney
    Free Member
    bennyboy1
    Free Member

Nice one Barney, really, really like the look of that matte black / mint version. Going to be putting a few extra pennies in my bike fund jar…! 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

Too steep and too short

cokie

That looks lovely. I’d be interested in a 120mm version.

timbo678
    Free Member

I’ve been waiting for this bike…would also rather a 115/120mm version but I may be tempted anyway! could make my Nomad fairly redundant though

hughjayteens
    Free Member

thepodge – Member
    Too steep and too short

Size up and fit and angleset? Fairly sweeping statement before you’ve ridden it don’t you think?

thepodge
    Free Member

hughjayteens – Size up and fit and angleset? Fairly sweeping statement before you’ve ridden it don’t you think?

If I’m spending 4-6k on a bike, I shouldn’t have to buy one that is too big for me and then spend money on making it better right out of the box.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If I’m spending 4-6k on a bike, I shouldn’t have to buy one that is too big for me and then spend money on making it better right out of the box.

Why is buying the right size too big for you? Buy the size not the letter. How do you know it’s not right out the box?

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m just under the average height for a UK male but to get a nice roomy front end with a short stem I’d need to get a large, surely the average should be on a medium, larger then average is Large, smaller than average is small.

Thing is if I get a large frame I then struggle to fit a reverb because the seat post is too long. Admittedly in this case I might get 10mm of adjustment.

Plus if they are saying that shorter people should be on shorter wheels how short do you have to be if people at 5:9 / 5:10 are buying large 29er?

I think with both this and the new Orange 4 I was hoping that they would be a but of a revolution not a 3mm evolution.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Honestly why get hung up on a word? So you can fit a reverb but only have another 10mm of adjustment? Do you need more?

Plus if they are saying that shorter people should be on shorter wheels how short do you have to be if people at 5:9 / 5:10 are buying large 29er?

are they saying that, I know people about 5’1 riding 29r’s happily

and being 5’9 I’d always consider being top end Medium frames and probably OK for a large depending on the brand

thepodge
    Free Member

mikewsmith – are they saying that

Pinkbike Review – due to the fact that Santa Cruz’s designers felt that smaller riders would be better suited to a bike with 27.5″ wheels, like the 5010 or Juliana Furtado.

Yes, yes they are

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ah fair enough that one getting trotted out again…

chrismac

Another completely average over priced effort from Santa Cruz.

Size up and fit and angleset? Fairly sweeping statement before you’ve ridden it don’t you think?

For the amount they charge I would like them to get it right out of the box rather than having to start modifying it.

Pinkbike Review – due to the fact that Santa Cruz’s designers felt that smaller riders would be better suited to a bike with 27.5″ wheels, like the 5010 or Juliana Furtado.

Given that they are the same bike, just with different stickers on them then you they are only giving 1 suggestion in reality

Metasequoia

Mr Podge, it’s not just about height, it’s personal preference and body proportions too, bike fit is very individual. The bikes you mention might not fit you in the way you want them to, but why don’t you try them and then decide, then if you aren’t happy just choose another bike- or go custom, if standard sizes don’t fit you. The Hightower and 4 will suit many riders…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

chrismac
    For the amount they charge I would like them to get it right out of the box rather than having to start modifying it.

Given all you have seen is a pic and a geo cahrt why not ride one and then report back, you know what you think you know but have no real idea how the bike will ride or feel just what some numbers and the internet tosses off over.

thepodge
    Free Member

You can make a good estimate of if a frame will suit you or not from the numbers, no one has the time to try every single bike so the only option is to whittle the choice down to a realistic number by using the charts provided.

People do indeed come in different shapes and sizes but I’m very average in my averageness and so expect to fit an average bike.

This bike, much like every other bike released in the last few years is supposedly long, low and slack, which it is if you compare it to the last model, but then the last model was long low and slack compared to the model before that and pretty much everyone is changing at the same speed so the LLS phrase doesn’t really mean anything unless it is genuinely when looking at similar bikes.

When I see LLS, I expect LLS, not predictably different in the same ways that everything else is predictably different.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

thepodge – why not fabricate your own 59 degree headangle gnarr machine if that’s what you think you need? Clearly the bike industry is moving too slowly for you…! 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

Its not moving too slow, its advertising its self too boldly.

chakaping
    Free Member

What size do you reckon this guy would need?

thepodge
    Free Member

and with such a short rear end, how far behind the rear axle would he be sitting?

wwaswas

The bloke on the right is 6’1″

LAT

thepodge – Member

When I see LLS, I expect LLS, not predictably different in the same ways that everything else is predictably different.

But if their new bike was described as having normal geometry, then people may not realise that they mean new normal, not old normal. The people don’t want old normal.

Joking aside and with genuine interest, is there a 29er you comparing new normal to that is long, low and slack?

mattbee

I think it looks awful. The rear triangle and seat tube layout makes it look like it’s back is broken. Sure this isn’t another one of the new Elsworth designs?

woodster

i like it. Too much money for me though.

Nice and light with the new style linkages and a bottle cage and BSA BB. Lovely.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

What’s not to like. Not sure what people are on about regarding the aesthetics. Looks like a pretty run of the mill generic bike to me – they are all looking pretty similar these days – no bad thing I personally like it, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that. How are people thinking it’s too short? The reports i’ve read on it so far seem to suggest it’s quite long to make it a better pedalling platform.

barney
    Free Member

Feels fairly long to me. It’s not Mondraker long, for sure, but it’s a good 40mm longer in reach than the Tallboy LT…
    But what would I know? 😉

Mole
    Free Member

I’m liking it looks wise but not price wise. Out of interest podge what bike do you ride?

mattbee

For me, it’s a couple of things. I think the bottom bracket area looks odd, the way the down tube curves into it giving that horizontal bit, doesn’t flow. Biggest thing that spoils it’s aesthetics for me is the shape of the rear triangle & the orientation of its tubes in relation to the seat tube. The angle looks like the rear ended us cocked towards the front ic the bike, a bit like the shock is fully compressed.
    Then again I can’t stand the Evil full suspension frames, the bottom bracket area looks far too fussy.
    I’m sure it rides amazingly well but I’d never buy one. Not saying anyone else should feel the same…

wrecker
    Free Member

I think it’s ace.

darrenspink
    Free Member

I agree, looks the dogs bollocks. But so it should for the price.

Wonder how long they can keep it up for with so many other fantastic bikes around these days for much less.

Edit: Of course I’m talking about those German guys and girls.

roverpig

Oi, Barney, don’t you be coming in here with your facts and evidence 🙂

Personally I’d prefer it in some hideous neon colour rather than the matt black or rather muted red, but each to their own. It looks like a Santa Cruz for people that fancy a “nu-skool” 29er but like Santa Cruz, which is fair enough. Not revolutionary, but filling a gap in the market.

I was interested in Barney’s comments about the need to be more aggressive with it as this fits in with my own experiences with the Smuggler. At first I wasn’t sure about the Smuggler and it wasn’t really working for me until I got really frustrated with myself at the end of a ride a few weeks back and just went for it. Weight a bit further forward, elbows out and suddenly it came alive. It sounds as though the Hightower is similar, which makes sense as they are both relatively long, low and slack 29ers.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Oi, Barney, don’t you be coming in here with your facts and evidence
    Personally I’d prefer it in some hideous neon colour rather than the matt black or rather muted red, but each to their own. It looks like a Santa Cruz for people that fancy a “nu-skool” 29er but like Santa Cruz, which is fair enough. Not revolutionary, but filling a gap in the market.
    I was interested in Barney’s comments about the need to be more aggressive with it as this fits in with my own experiences with the Smuggler. At first I wasn’t sure about the Smuggler and it wasn’t really working for me until I got really frustrated with myself at the end of a ride a few weeks back and just went for it. Weight a bit further forward, elbows out and suddenly it came alive. It sounds as though the Hightower is similar, which makes sense as they are both relatively long, low and slack 29ers.

Same with my Scout, the harder I ride it the better it gets. Problem is I don’t go bananas enough.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Hightower’ is closed to new replies.