Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Santa Cruz Highball Owners – Tell me . . .
  • teacake
    Free Member

. . . what you think of your bike.

After an eBay false start, I’ve finally ordered an alloy frame and will build it up singlespeed.

Tell me what you think of yours and post some photos.
    I can’t bloody wait to have an MTB again!

Yayhay!

swanny853

Bought mine SH off here back in about Nov, built up SS. Happy with it! Great for general hacking about in the mud with a rigid fork. SS dropouts are cracking, it just really needs a dropper post and perhaps some wider bars to make the most of it!

Have you checked the sizing? They are quite short- mine is a large and it’s about the same as my medium solaris, meaning the standover is quite high.

No photos at the moment I’m afraid.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I don’t own one, but have had a couple of test rides on one.
    In a world of unlimited ££ and garage space i’d get one to build as a SS for sure.

swavis

Did you go for carbon or metal? 😉

MSP

I have one, I think it is a good trail hardtail I added a 1 degree slackset. The later ones reduced the seatpost diameter to 27.2 which I think was a mistake by SC. I upgraded the dropouts on mine from the original qr to 142×12.

teacake
    Free Member

Ordered a metal one Swavis.

I wasn’t sure between large or XL (I’m 6’3″) but went for XL and I’m confident that was the right choice (especially the above chat).

27.2 suits me as I don’t use a dropper and already have a 27.2 thomson – probably good for absorbing some bumps too.

Need to finish front wheel tonight, check I have the right brake adapters. Then collect the frame tomorrow and aim to get it built tomorrow night to ride to work on Thursday.

Will post a photo when I’m done 🙂

snaps
    Free Member

I’ve got a brand new XL in black frame if anyone’s in the market for one.

Metasequoia

Snaps; carbon or Al?

snaps
    Free Member

Snaps; carbon or Al?

Al

slowboydickie

I’ve got an alloy one, no ohotos though. Started single speed and loved it, but then put 1×10 on it. With some carbon wheels and pretty normal finishing kit this thing is an absolute rocket. It makes me laugh while sprinting up hill. It is currently deconstructed but I definitely won’t sell it. Agree that it comes up small.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

When was the change to seatpost diameter of 27.2?

Metasequoia

Ok thanks I would be interested in a C one.

teacake
    Free Member

Wayhay! Had two rides now and really enjoying it. XL frame so makes the wheels look small. Excuse the uncut steerer and unfashionale amount of space between headtube and stem.

The wide rims (26mm internal) make a huge difference to how the tyres perform. I’d say it’s got more grip than a 29+ with the 2.3 on “wideish” rims – will depend on terrain I guess.

The singlespeed dropout is really well designed and it’s very simple to adjust and get the wheel centred.

Also enjoying the RS Oneloc – never turned lockout on and off so much!

GregMay
    Free Member

Ace. Apart from saddle 😉

Love a nice, simple singlespeed. Enjoy it.

teacake
    Free Member

£15 from eBay for a brand new Tundra 2!
    I don’t see it when I’m riding 😉

adsh
    Free Member

Nice. I was close to a Highball until I found a Trek Superfly SS. The Trek dropouts are a little more fiddly but the geo suits me better.

For 2hours or so while my legs are fresh it flies. Once I’m tired it becomes a torture machine!

teacake
    Free Member

Superfly was on my list (especially for the carbon fork) as well but the Santa Cruz dropout sold it to me and the Superfly is pressfit BB. Or SmashFit as my mate calls it!

teacake
    Free Member

Are you bringing your Superfly to the SSEC in May? SSEC 2017

DanW
    Free Member

This thread is lacking pictures!

Love mine and I’m sure you’ll love yours to OP! One of those bikes that is just so much fun to ride and numbers on a geo chart become irrelevant. SS setup is a dream but my only criticism is that rear tyre clearance is poor if not run on the longer CS settings. Really enjoyed my trip exploring Sweden in the Summer and it was super capable in unfamiliar terrain, and more crucially super fun and maintenance free…

Clink

Sweden looks fun!

swavis

Sweden you say? OP back to the thread please? 😉

adsh
    Free Member

I love the fact there’s no hiding on the hills. Did a 4.5hr ride on Monday. What would have been dull with gears had me grinning with pleasure for 2hrs thinking ‘why do I bother carting forks and gears around’ followed by a rictus grin of agony for 2.5hrs thinking ‘ow my arms hurt, ow my legs hurt, ow my lungs hurt’ Good workout and more to the point fun.

corroded
    Free Member

I’ve got a Highball C and love it. It’s a rocket. I’m tempted to go fully rigid with a carbon fork rather than the stock fox but I could probably lose a few lbs of my own first. For reference I’m 6’2 and on a XL, which fits well.

teacake
    Free Member

Yes it does seem fast!

I’ve been singlespeed for many years now so quite used to riding it all day. I think I’ll get a Niner fork in time.

Where in Sweden were you riding DanW? I’m guessing that’s west coast? I lived in Stockholm until recently and bloody loved the rocky granite trails. Really missed the big long climbs of Scotland though. Never satisfied!

Totally agree on the lack of tyre clearance. I’m lucky that 32 x 19 sits the wheel seemingly perfectly but if the CS was shorter I think it’d be trouble.

DanW
    Free Member

Where in Sweden were you riding DanW? I’m guessing that’s west coast? I lived in Stockholm until recently and bloody loved the rocky granite trails. Really missed the big long climbs of Scotland though. Never satisfied!

Totally agree on the lack of tyre clearance. I’m lucky that 32 x 19 sits the wheel seemingly perfectly but if the CS was shorter I think it’d be trouble.

I was exploring from Gothenburg. Awesome place for SS as there isn’t a huge amount of elevation but very short sharp climbs and awesome little descents tucked away everywhere. Very rocky and rooty, slickrock, tarmac coastal paths all the way to Copenhagen and an awesome cycle network through the cities…. everything really. A super easy place to enjoy a ride.

I think I was mainly using 32-19 or 32-20 and the clearance was acceptable but a harder gear needs a bit of think to not have the tyre tucked in to the frame

dan0930
    Free Member

DanW

What fork is that?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Highball Owners – Tell me . . .’ is closed to new replies.