Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Santa Cruz Heckler BB problems?
  • tom13
    Free Member

Hi Guys,

My friend has bought a 2012 Santa Cruz heckler second hand. After a couple of rides the crankset came off.

When I looked at it I found that it has an SLX Chainset, with a hope bb. There is also an MRP seatube mounted top guide and a bb mounted blackspire stinger.

Being a 73mm shell I know that you should run one spacer on the bb but I assumed that the stinger was acting as said spacer. However after looking at it, it seems that it is too wide as not enough axle is protruding through. With it all together the plastic clip on the non-drive side crank would not engage in the axle either.

I removed the stinger as a temporary measure and it sits together perfectly, albeit catching the top guide in the lower gears.

Has anyone else experienced this and what is the best solution please?

Regards

Tom

superfli
    Free Member

I have a stinger on my Heckler. That does as the spacer. If your crank isnt sitting up enough, you wont be able to clip the other crank arm on. Try giving it a few taps with a rubber mallet

dantsw13

I have a Hope bb on a 2011 Heckler, which fits perfectly with 1 spacer. I also have SLX cranks on it, and there is definitely no compatibility issue with that combo.

My SLX is the double and bash, and Ive found no need for a chain guide in that configuration, so my advice would be take off all the guides, fit the bb correctly and go from there. As for the little plastic tag on the NDS crank, take it all to pieces, give it a good clean, and you may find it goes back together again.

Hope that helps.

tom13
    Free Member

Thanks guys,

The cranks fit on fine and the tab goes in with no guide on. I did make sure I tapped it on when I fitted it.. I am now thinking that it may have come loose and the damaged splines are causing the problems. Is the sting 2.5mm wide?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Heckler BB problems?’ is closed to new replies.