Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Santa Cruz Distributor – Jungle Products – WHAT A BUNCH OF COWBOYS!!!
  • jonke
    Free Member

Am I being unreasonable?

I got a carbon nomad at the end of April. I decided to replace the grease in the pivots using the grease ports and the supplied grease gun. I watched the video on the internet. Went to do it on the lower link. First one fine. Second one, the port came out the frame and stuck in the grease gun.

Took back to my LBS (top guys there) and they got a replacement port, but that wouldn’t go back in the frame properly as I guess the hole it goes in to in the lower link is now damaged.

Quick search of the internet has suggested I’m not the first person to suffer this and in the 2012 model I notice they changed the design from push fit to screw fit grease ports which as a minimum suggests a compromised original design.

So imagine my surprise when the LBS phones Jungle only to be told that I can’t have checked the instructional video on the internet (first thing I did) and this is a common user error issue. Based on this I would have to buy a new lower link.

F****** EXCUSE ME?????!!! I SPEND 2.5k ON A NEW F****** FRAME, CARRY OUT A SUPPOSEDLY F****** STANDARD MAINTENANCE ROUTINE USING A PIECE OF EQUIPMENT THAT THEY F****** SUPPLY WITH THE F****** BIKE THAT IN TURN ****’S IT AND THAT’S MY FAULT? HOW EXACTLY?

Anyone else had a problem with Jungle and anyone got a suggestion on how to deal with them?

Did you notice I managed that whole rant without using the word nipple once?

honourablegeorge

I’ve dealt with Jungle numerous times, and every time they’ve been helpful, courteous, and quick to sort my problems. I’d phone them directly if I was you, rather than ranting mindlessly about them on the internet.

showerman
    Free Member

had a problem with my ibis silly little thing went nowhere so emailed ibis direct got a new from from them pre 2pure. try a nice email direct to mr cruz.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

To be fair there’s only one paragraph of mindless ranting 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d delete the thread then call them Monday.

Then flame them if they don’t play…

jedi

i have heard good things about their customer service to be fair

oxnop
    Free Member

Those nipples did my head in. The same thing happened to my LTc and the GF’s LT2 and another LT2 I had.

I ended up with 3 grease guns all with nipples stuck in the end!

We once drove an hour each way to pick up some replacement nipples and when we got back we had been given the wrong size!

Suffice to say we don’t ride SC bikes anymore.

Speshpaul

Nice rant.
    forgive me if i’ve got the design wrong. But if the port is a push in then couldn’t you tidy the hole with a file, degrease and glue (arldite) the post in?
    defo cheaper and maybe more satisfing than buying a new one.

jonke
    Free Member

It’s interesting to see the range of opinions. Fact is though I’m sick of being in situations where you save like a bitch to get something like this, only for something to go wrong and have to fight a battle to sort it out. Why should I have to?

jonke
    Free Member

Hi Speshpaul – maybe – although maybe they’ll use that as an excuse to avoid honouring any other warranty claim I might need to make in the future as I have then ‘tampered’ with it?

chakaping
    Free Member

You do seem to have a stronger case than that bloke whose secondhand frame had broken, to be fair. Must be very discouraging to get the brush-off after spending that much.

Good luck sorting it out.

jedi

i nearly bought a blur carbon at core bike show this year…………

Radioman

They have been good to me & helpful in the past. On My carbon Nomad (2011)I did the exact same service. I noticed the supplied grease gun locked on to the nipple quite hard due to the design so i slackened the grip thread on the grease gun before twisting it to remove. If you try to remove the grease gun with the thread tightened on the grease nipple damage can be done.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

This is why you should ride rigid single speeds, then you would have these problems.
    Gey armchair bikes=gey happenings

duntstick
    Free Member

Excellent rant, with barely contained rage content.

It is silly, they should sort you out.

Good luck

druidh
    Free Member

Radioman – Member
    If you try to remove the grease gun with the thread tightened on the grease nipple damage can be done.

This

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Duntstick is right, all these distributors know we are here and you only have to look back to the CRC debaticle to see the effects of poor customer service and communication; the SS comment still stands though

jonke
    Free Member

Radioman – yes. and to extract the nipple out of the grease gun I had to take the grease gun apart and put it in a vice to get enough purchase on it in the end.

wrecker
    Free Member

£2.5k frame. They should be falling over themselves to help.
    This is not the first negative report I’ve heard of jungle either.
    I would love a TRc but there’s f*** all chance of me paying out £2.8k on a frame with s*** customer support.
    Jungle; sort your s*** out. Idiots.

billyboy
    Free Member

The small amount of dealings I’ve had with Jungle turned out well

BUT

I’d be ranting if I was you

SOUNDS LIKE SHIT TO ME

AND IT SOUNDS LIKE JUNGLE KNOW IT IS SHIT

Bit like Gary Fisher/Trek being “surpised” when a Hi Fi swing arm broke.

mozzie
    Free Member

I have a Blur LTc and I must say that this is the first time I’ve come across this type of grease gun where you have to loosen the end, place it over the nipple then tighten the thing up before squeezing some grease in. I grew up on a farm having to grease all sorts of machinery where you just pushed the grease gun on and squeezed away. Why the complication? It’s just asking for trouble. I’ve tried just pulling the gun away then remembered to unscrew it when it wouldn’t come off.
    I would recommend that you email Santa Cruz direct and moan about the agents if you have no joy. I’ve spoken to them before and they’re really helpful.
    At the end of the day, a grease nipple coming out of a linkage should be a warranty issue. They should be in there to stay.
    Good luck

stevenieve
    Free Member

the port came out the frame and stuck in the grease gun

Have a 2011 Nomad, didn’t know about tightening/loosening the grease gun nozzle onto the zerk fitting.
    Thanks for the heads up.

winterfold
    Free Member

Excellent rant

Mostly reasonable then superb full caps explosion before returning to reason

Could only be improved by use of a few smilies, and the word ‘nipple’.

More seriously good luck sorting it out, you would hope they will stand behind a £2k+ frame.

That the design has changed says a lot IMO

brooess
    Free Member

This thread is Jungle/SC’s opportunity to show us how great their customer service is.
    Let’s hope they’ve not read the Sierra Cycling book of how to deal with customer complaints in social media 😉

Mattie_H
    Free Member

But you’ve not actually spoken to Jungle yourself… Perhaps you should give that a go before you start kicking off on here.

jedi

to be fair he shouldn’t have to. just teh shop he bought it off should

IA

But you’ve not actually spoken to Jungle yourself… Perhaps you should give that a go before you start kicking off on here.

Ah but why should he? He did buy anything from them, the shop did.

EDIT: snap.

But I’ll add, presumably he bought from a local shop, rather than online, to avoid the faff of sending a bike off, pestering someone miles away on the phone, etc etc if something went wrong.

pjt201
    Free Member

jedi – Member
    to be fair he shouldn’t have to. just teh shop he bought it off should

So therefore it’s the shop he should be ranting about. They should be sorting him out the new link, not Jungle. If Jungle won’t give the shop a new link then that’s the shops problem. QED.

camerone
    Free Member

so its a shops job to honour a warranty if the manufacturer won’t?

pjt201
    Free Member

camerone – Member
    so its a shops job to honour a warranty if the manufacturer won’t?

No, it’s the shops job to honour a warranty full stop. the op has a contract with the shop, not the manufacturer.

ojom
    Free Member

The onus is on the retailer, correct.

Retailers have the money from the customer so they have the responsibility to resolve warranty claims. Jungle have not dealt with the end user, they deal with the shop.

ChrisA
    Free Member

I thought with the sale of goods act, you have the right to take it up with the shop, distributor or manufacturer?

khani
    Free Member

That’s crap, no tallboy for me now….AND……nnnnnnipple!.. 😀
    I feel a sultan coming on…at least with turner, even if its your fault for being a ham fisted buffoon, they’ll still sort you out

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Never had a problem with Jungle nor with the grease ports on any of the 3 SC’s I’ve owned..I’ve also dealt with SC directly with questions & always found them very helpful.

I hope you get it sorted out.

Pauly

Never had a problem with Jungle (3 Santa Cruz from new), and the instructions for the grease gun clearly state that you have to loosen and tighten the grease gun nozzle to fit, and do the reverse to remove.
    Ranting on the internet before talking to your LBS is poor form imo.

jonke
    Free Member

before talking to your LBS

You mean the distributor or LBS? I already spoke to the LBS who always go well out of their way to be super helpful. But they’re stuck twixt rock and hard place.

Pauly

Your contract is with the LBS.

Pauly

I hope you get this sorted btw.

jonke
    Free Member

Maybe. But i feel much better for the rant.

crazy-legs

Technically, he shouldn’t have to, as others have said, the contract lies with the shop.

Customer has problem with item.
    Customer returns item to shop.
    Shop help/determine if it’s genuine fault or “user error” 😉 or if they can’t help (eg no spare parts in stock), they phone supplier.
    Supplier sends part to shop, shop replace part.

At no point in any of this should the customer need to be ranting on the internet or calling the supplier, in fact some suppliers (notably Madison) refuse to have anything to do with the customer directly for that very reason. Otherwise you get all sorts of random people phoning up asking for spare this that and the other and it becomes a nightmare for stock control and service.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Distributor – Jungle Products – WHAT A BUNCH OF COWBOYS!!!’ is closed to new replies.