Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Santa cruz Chameleon, a couple of questions…
  • DarrenH

Hello all,
    I’m toying with the idea of getting a sc chameleon and can’t afford to shell out for some new forks as well.
    The idea is to fit the 100mm fox rl’s I’ve got fitted to my inbred (along with all the other bits).
    Has anyone tried 100mm forks on a chameleon or are they too short travel?
    Also, frame size… Medium = 16″ frame and large = 18″ frame?
    Cheers

hugor
    Free Member

I think the idea of the chameleon is that it can be used for a number of applications depending on how you set it up.
    100m forks for XC use to longer travel for DJ or trail.
    The main downside of the Chameleon is the EBB which can be problematic.
    SC typically have short top tubes for their size. Sizing might be different depending on how you want to use it.

jam-bo

The one I had rode best with pikes wound down to 120mm.

accu
    Free Member

had the actual version for half a year, as it was new some time ago (EBB version).. rode it with pikes in 140mm travel,but I think 100mm forks will be no problem just giving a different handling, as hugor said..
    never had any problems with the EBB,
    downside for me ( 6.2 and long legs)was that my L frame had bottlebosses in the seattube,so couldn`t lower my seatpost enough for tight, steep,tech sections…

Jeffus
    Free Member

EBB strip and grease before you build it up, should be no problem after that, I run mine with Pikes felt great, my mate runs his with Revs set at 100mm climbs well and he is super quick on the downs.

bs3eggs
    Free Member

I had those exact forks on my chameleon and it was fine, actually really fast on the trail despite frame weight. I would say it is fine but depends on your riding style I was using it for general trail.

RealMan
    Free Member

Mine climbs really well with forks at 110mm, would love to get a set of forks that adjusts from 100mm to 160mm on it, that would be awesome.

Rickos
    Free Member

On the sizing you’re right – 16 inch = medium and 18 inch = large in SC speak.

DarrenH

Thanks guys!
    I read on the santa cruz website that 100mm forks would be too fast but I’d be using it for general trail riding anyway.
    Cheers Rickos, it’s usual for santa cruz sizing then 🙂

morgs
    Free Member

On my old Van’s I could change the travel – is that still an option?

rossi46
    Free Member

Mine does it all with only a change of pedals, stem and tyres (Spuds, long stem and Panaracers Fire XC’s for most things Flats, short stem and Tioga Factory 2.3’s for playing silly buggers), pictured as silly bugger bike!

Forks are Rock Shox Revelations (air ones) and can be wound in to 100mm to 140mm. So guess what?
    100mm for most stuff, 140mm for silly buggers!!!

DarrenH

can’t change the travel morgs, 100mm all the time!
    Rossi, very nice!

rossi46
    Free Member

Rossi, very nice!

Thanks- I’ll admit though, i hardly ever ride with the forks down to 100mm. It just feels wrong somehow. Theyre just fine at full travel, and you can lock em out for climbs/ sensible road rides etc…

morgs
    Free Member

I bought some in 2003/2004 IIRC and I was sure they could be changed from 80/100/130mm with different springs.

that’s a bugger – would have solved that question 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Santa cruz Chameleon, a couple of questions…’ is closed to new replies.