Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • santa cruz chameleon
  • chrisylad24
    Free Member

Hi just would like a few thoughts on from owners thinking of buying a second hand frame i have never ridden one so is there anything thats hard to live with its gonna be used for just general xc stuff and a few allday rides to be honest it will probley be an older frame built up with 130 mm forks will this frame be an ok choice for this set up all things considerd i understand one persons good is bad for others cheers….chris

_tom_
    Free Member

I really like mine. Really fun to ride and builds up light. Mine’s more built for jumps and fun stuff so have gone a frame size smaller than most would, still pedals fine with the seat up though. The EBB is the only thing that seems “hard to live with” about it as it can be fiddly to get set up right and mine does creak/crack a bit which is annoying as one of the things I loved about “normal” singlespeed is how quiet it makes the bike. 130mm feels about right on it as well, any less makes the front end and BB feel a bit too low for me.

carloz
    Free Member

I’m 5.11 and had a Large which cruised South Downs rides, but was a bit long for singletrack. I swapped for a Medium which is a bit twitchy, but lots of fun now I’ve got a reverb on it.

chrisylad24
    Free Member

Cheers for the feedback i am 5ft 9 and looking at medium 17 inch frames .were early frames ebb only i have seen one on ebay that looks ok

nickc

5’10” ride a large, If you’re going to be doing any distance on it get a large, You may think you need a med, I thought that, but I’m here to tell you; you need a large, trust me. Mediums are great for lobbing it about but the TT is pretty short. Great bikes, pretty bomb proof, EBB can get a bit creaky in the dust, and you know where the back end is All The Time (think of it as a plus)Realistically it’s a pretty generic alu frame, albeit with all the point joined up in the right angles.

Only thing the bottle bosses on the seat tube make dropping the post all the way down if that bothers you.

Oh, and white, any other colour is wrong. Apart from hora’s Kwaka green one, that was pretty cool, but not white, obviously…

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m 5’9″ on a small but like I said it’s more for fun than all day comfort etc as I don’t do that kind of riding. It’s somehow better at the jumps and pump track than my bmx but maybe just because I’m comfier on it. And yes go for white!

chrisylad24
    Free Member

Thanks again for the replies gonna have to do some thinking on the size as i am a probley more a peddler than a jumper my current hardtail is an 18.5. inch and feels too big but my cannodale full sus is 18 inch and feels ok the ht is 22.5 inch top tube the suser is 22 not much in it but the ht feels big for some reason

exiger
    Free Member

My brother has one for sale, if your interested my email is in my profile.

He is away till mid next week but can get you details pics after that.

binners

I’m 5’10” and I had a medium. It’s a superb frame! More fun than a room full of coke and hookers! The grin factor goes up to eleven! It’s basically an oversized BMX! You can chuck them around something ridiculous!

As for all day riding? Have you checked out how short and beefy that back end is? It’s why I don’t own it any more. A full day in the saddle over Long Mynnd convinced me that I’m too old for a frame like that. Hence a steel hardtail.

But if I had the space and the money for an out and out, 2 hour blasts, dossing about hardtail, a chameleon would be top of the list!

chrisylad24
    Free Member

Thanks again everyone i have taken onboard all your comments gonna do a bit more looking around i think i used to love my bmx bikes but as above i in my 40 s now and do feel the pains maybe this frame could be a bit much

riderideride
    Free Member

The thing i didn’t like about mine was horizontal drop outs

daftvader
    Free Member

Great bike. Good for everything. …. but STIFF. Used for everything from all day to ragging in the woods. Built every way possible and have ended up with 120mm on the front and ss. But STIFF! 🙂

Rickos
    Free Member

EBB version has a stupidly high BB. Horizontal dropout version is good fun, but ends up with too slack a seat angle for climbing with 140mm forks. U-turn Pikes are ideal for it. I have an old 2006 medium in the garage that I keep promising to sell, but I can’t. Also, as said above, they are very stiff!

MrGFisher
    Free Member

I have just built up the latest incarnation. Fun bike. I’m 5’9 and have a medium. The new one has no ebb and removable dropouts for ss.

binners

Being the wrong side of 40 myself, and having been a massive lover of my old Chameleon, I’ve tried a good few hardtail frames. As a do it all all-rounder I’ve settled on a P7, built up with 140 mil forks. It’s the perfect happy medium. You can chuck it down silly descents, but its brilliant for riding all day too. Perfect For those of us more…. Ahem… Mature riders.

stevenk4563
    Free Member

I’ve had two now, one from 2002 and one 2012 with the EBB, loved them both but preferred the older one, TBH the EBB is a pain, the best one to get is the version before they introduced the EBB. I’ve run them with 140 and 150mm forks, you should be fine with 130’s.

I can do 25 miles on mine before it gets too uncomfortable, just run a big tyre on the rear with slightly lower than normal PSI and you’ll be fine.

Old one.

New one.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘santa cruz chameleon’ is closed to new replies.