• This topic has 20 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Del.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Santa Cruz Chameleon
  • sandperson
    Free Member

I’m looking to buy one of these as an all day ride with some (not many) XC races in mind. It’s been a while since I bought a new MTB and I’m trying to work out how much difference I’ll notice between the two for options? Rock Shox Recon Silver RL 120 or the Fox Rhythm 120. Any advice gratefully received.

Gotama
    Free Member

There is a good first review on NSMB for it if you google. Think Singletrack had a reasonable write up as well and there is a Guy Kesteven Youtube review as well. I ordered a frame when they were announced from a local SC dealer. Had a chat with him last weekend about delivery times and he mentioned that SC had sold all stock due into the country. Not sure if this just applies to frames or bikes as well but maybe worth a phone call to a dealer before you get too set on it if you are looking to change in the next couple of months.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Recon is awful if you ride anywhere bumpy.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sandperson
    Free Member

Yeah, I think the pre-orders are pretty much done so I don’t know what that means for getting more in the country. I’ve seen the reviews and the (excellent) youtube vid. I’m sold on the bike but trying to work out if I need to spend what is basically another £500 for the Fox fork.

sandperson
    Free Member

Ha chakaping. So anywhere offroad then?

Rubber_Buccaneer

another £500 for the Fox fork

The fork is certainly a nice upgrade but isn’t there more you get for your £400? Wasn’t the cassette an XD 10-42 version (lighter with more range) and the brakes upgraded too? I remember thinking I’d be trying to scrape together the extra if I were buying one

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve ridden a couple, they feel OK on singletrack and smoother trails with the odd hit.

Really poor on repeated hits though. It’s a step down from motion control IIRC.

But £500 is a big price hike for the upgrade. You could source a fork of your own choosing and eBay the Recon.

Edit: Just looked at the spec – you also get the proper Sram 11s cassette, but I agree they are a bit tight with the upgrades otherwise.

sandperson
    Free Member

Thanks guys. That’s what I was thinking chakaping, not quite enough to justify going for the model up. Any suggestions for a fork upgrade if I take the lower model and ebay the Rock Shox?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Boost 29er? I guess the Yari is the obvious option unless you want lighter or to spend more.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Set the rebound fast and there’s nothing wrong with a Recon IMO. I’ve got one, ridden it back to back with a Reba RLT, there’s not a huge amount in it. Main issue is that these forks are a little flexy when run as 120mm with 29er wheels.

I’ve got also got a Fox 34 FIT4 which is stiffer and glides over everything brilliantly. Not sure it’s worth another 500 quid or not, I mean there’s always something to that’s “better”, but at least it’s relatively easy to upgrade a fork later.

Gotama
    Free Member

Isn’t the difference £400 for a start? Cranks, fork, brakes and cassette so probably fair. Its a Santa Cruz so its never going to be great value for money. If you’re not a serial bike swapper and you can afford it then I’d say get the Fox spec bike from the start. It is only going to work out cheaper on a like for like spec if you manage to pick up a Fox fork second hand and flog the recon. The Yari isn’t really suitable for someone who describes themselves as an XC rider given its based on the Lyrik chassis so its a bit on the burly side.

Del

meh. i’ve got a yari sitting next to me waiting for my frame. 😈
    edit – it was a good price. i remember looking at the better spec full build and thinking it wasn’t too bad a deal if you can live with a sram crankset/bb, hydraulics and freehub.
    i can’t, so it’s frame only for me.

Rubber_Buccaneer

The frame only at £550 looks a reasonable price. I especially liked the idea of the adjustable dropouts though at £75 for a different/replacement set they appear to be a bit of a money spinner

Gotama
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with a yari, used to have one, its just a big fork for what the OP describes as his riding.

I have a frame coming as well as I have most of the bits to build the bike up already. That said I think the value in the full build comes if you’re going for the plus tyred option as getting a decent set of wheels with 40mm rims seems to be a hens teeth situation as I’m finding out. Its looking like custom built Hopes at the moment which jacks the price up a fair bit.

sandperson
    Free Member

Ok, so consensus seems to be erring towards higher spec. Now, 29er or 27.5 Plus?

Rubber_Buccaneer

value in the full build comes if you’re going for the plus tyred option

The plus tyres aren’t? cheap aftermarket either so value there too.

Choosing between plus and 29, that’s personal preference. I’d go for the plus

sandperson
    Free Member

Thanks RB!

wrecker
    Free Member

I’d go 29!

jim1970

Just put my order in for an XL 29 frame today. Not arriving till July 🙁

Thought about full bike but the wheels and brakes seemed a bit crap for the price.

ticsmon

I ordered mine a while ago and just had an email saying it’s delayed till the end of June (full bike)

Del

27.5+ rims are pricey but apart from that at least you get hubs you want. i’m going xt or slx. 27.5+ tyres aren’t too bad if you choose carefully. the wtb range appear to offer reasonable value for what they are, at least against the maxxis range anyway. bear in mind i like tyres at 20 quid or less if i can get them, but i ain’t getting them in this size!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Chameleon’ is closed to new replies.