Viewing 32 posts - 121 through 152 (of 152 total)
  • Santa Cruz Bronson. Looks great think I'll buy one……whoa!!!!£££
  • bwaarp
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

BWD you missed his point. Reread.

If I see anyone on a carbon SC they better be bloody good riders otherwise we should shout ‘all the gear no idea’ 😆

bedmaker

I went through some of the above arguments in my head last year before buying my Tallboy LTc.
    £2700 frame cost, I kept tninking it’s mental, look at all the other stuff I could use that money for –

Put the money towards a fancier car – the kids would only scratch it with ther bikes and abuse the lovely interior – making me sad

get a really nice trials (motor) bike – banned from all the forests around, can’t lift it over a deer fence so no use for exploring. I’d still love one but accept I’d never really use it.

Boat – I prefer MTB ing on a nice day. Boat would clog up my drive.

So I got the Tallboy and have no regrets. Annoyingly though I haven’t used it in months since getting a fatbike 😳

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BadlyWiredDog

BWD you missed his point. Reread.

No, I got his point. This whole thread though can be summed up as: I saw a bike I liked, it was a lot more expensive than I thought, I can’t believe bikes costs that much, blimey, it’s more than a car or a motorbike and they are more complicated so should cost more. Repeat ad nauseum with odd digs at people who buy expensive bike. All I’d say is blame capitalism, not Santa Cruz. 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

If I see anyone on a carbon SC they better be bloody good riders

I’m an average rider, and have a LTc AND a DW 5 spot. I’m not rich by any means.

otherwise we should shout ‘all the gear no idea’

You’d get a lot worse back.

My L(ish)BS stocks ENVE stuffs. Sells a fair bit, too by what I can tell. The owner uses the rims and swears by them. He’s (by some margin) the best rider I know and he hasn’t broken any.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cant believe people are having a go at those with the 9k to spend on a bike, its only obscene if you cant afford it

comparing bikes to cars is a no go-er too, not everyone likes cars/could give a shite!

people have expensive 3-4k bikes with just normal jobs and normal everyday lifestyles, people who earn anything above 100k a year and have a partner who also earns great money, then 9k is absolutly nothing to them, well no less than somebody earning 25k a year with a 3.5k orange or similar!

the build at 9k + has absolutly top spec everything, the wheels are 2k alone, they have builds for every budget, the starting price is dear, but no more than most luxury frame builds, and the top of the range one, is just that, expensive and top of the range, what more is there to get?!?!?!

if i was earning alot more money than i do now, ala 100k i would probably have a 10k bike if i fancied one, why not?? its the thing i get the most pleasure out of, its the thing i like looking at the most (over cars) and its the thing i spend most my time on…so tell me why is it wrong to want to spend 9k on a bike if you can afford it?

as flange says, its sounds like sour grapes imo

you spend what you can afford, if cant afford it dont moan about it because others can

grum
    Free Member

It’s funny people saying they have a build for every budget – not really true is it.

It does look very nice and I wish I could justify the money but I’d have to be pretty minted. I could afford it right now but meant to be spending the money on a house, don’t think the missus would be too impressed!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

grum – but thats just it – your missing the point

they have a build for every budget – WITHIN the luxury frame genre that it is, the frame alone id guess is in excess of 2.5k right? therefor the budge build realistically is going to be another 2k for the fork/wheels and all the other kit

its not a budget bike is it?? its a high end ‘luxury’ bike, so within the luxury bike range it has a budget across that range, with the entry luxury budget base model, to a hi end all singing all dancing 9k model….

are people expecting that a 2.5k frame then have a full bike a for 3k in total??

wrecker
    Free Member

the build at 9k + has absolutly top spec everything

nearly
    Hope hubs (whilst great) aren’t top drawer. WTB saddle. Thomson carbon bars are going to be good, but at that price I’d expect to see ENVE bars.

if i was earning alot more money than i do now, ala 100k i would probably have a 10k bike

If I were mortgage free I’d probably have one. Like you say, if your bills are paid and family looked after, why not? You’ve earned the money; spend it on what you like. I dread to think what some friends of mine spend on beer, coke etc in a year.

grum
    Free Member

I get all that. I think part of the issue for some people is that the pricing is ‘aspirational’ or whatever the correct term is. That frame isn’t ‘worth’ 2.5k – it’s priced that high because some people want to spend lots of money on stuff.

butterbean
    Free Member

It’s funny people saying they have a build for every budget – not really true is it.

Of course not, but then does any brand? Any budget implies including £50 supermarket BSO’s.

I think 10/10 to bwaarp for completely missing the point though. He seems to forget the word ‘choice’. By the powers of deduction, I assume he drives a worthless 30 year old car, and lives in a caravan, as these do the same thing as the more expensive options?

Also I shall make a point of informing one of my (self made, obscenely rich) friends he is a tasteless twunt because he has a number of Ferrari’s (along with various other classics). Lets face it, they all do the same job as a Ford Ka, so why should he need anything more?

No one is forcing people to buy these expensive items. Some people buy them for show, some people buy them to use & abuse. Who cares.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i totally agree grum – i personally cant see how its worth 2.5k for a frame, i really cant see how any frame is worth that TBH, but they are and thats just how it is, you either go along with it and have one, or you dont

i cant afford to have one, but i know if i won the lottery, was in a position to have one (no bills etc as per wrecker) id have one, sure, why not? i love bikes, it keeps me fit, and i just love everythign about them, if i could afford it id have the best that money can buy, just like i would a ferrari for a car etc

people can aspire to have decent bikes, i have, and i dont earn an amazing wage by a long stretch, but ive worked hard to get it, theres absolutly no reason on this planet why someone earning 4x my salary couldnt have one if they really wanted it even at 9k

hell if somebody earning my wage, who doesnt have a car, lives at home, doesnt piss it up the wall/social life like ive got or something similar, then im sure they could afford one even if it was on 0% over a few years…

i really see no problem with it TBH, yes its a lot of money but if you can afford it, then why not?

colp

Hey, leave us Ducati owners out of it! 😉
    Can’t be that bad a tool for the job if you look at WSB over the last 20 years, and I can still run well in the fast group on my old 748.

jameso

£9k bike in ‘brilliant marketing exposure tool’ shocker )

LoCo
    Free Member

TBH very few of the frames or builds will be sold at full RRP, anybody with 9K to spend on a build will haggle it down to alot lower.
    If you have that much spare cash you probably will be fairly savvy with your cash 😉

scotroutes

My Blur XCc is rarely taken off the garage wall these days – for much the same reason 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

If you have that much spare cash you probably will be fairly savvy with your cash

But then you might just realise that other brands offer much better value and at least equivalent quality.

Funny that I see loads of SC bikes under sponsored riders in the magazines and on the web, but very few on the trails. Hmmm, why are they so expensive I wonder.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeah, I was just joking. I thought someone had to step up to the plate and be that guy who can’t get his head around the fact that some push bikes cost more than some cars etc.

Bwarrrp must be trolling though – Syntace wheels? Why would you care about them if you’ve got the money. You’d just buy the Enve’s, if only because they look awesome and it’s bound to get peoples backs up at trail centres and on internet forums.

But yeh, ATGNI types are great. They’re happy because they have a really nice bike, and all the poor riders who can ride a bike properly are happy because it gives them an ego boost when they overtake them.

Same with cars aswell – loads of idiots who can’t drive properly with really expensive cars. I’ve lost count of the amount of BMWs and Audis Ive overtaken, have done a few Porsches in the past aswell – and I drive an old Civic!

So yeah, don’t get wound up if someone can afford really expensive gear! They’re probably doing better than you at work (but worse than you at life in general).

wrecker
    Free Member

But then you might just realise that other brands offer much better value and at least equivalent quality.

That’s due to Jungle, not SC.
    I had to run for a piss the other day, and I overtook a chap wearing £100 asics running shoes! I was wearing my converse! ATGNI

LoCo
    Free Member

I had to run for a piss the other day, and I overtook a chap wearing £100 asics running shoes! I was wearing my converse! ATGNI

😆

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Pmsl!

shifter
    Free Member

“Same with cars aswell – loads of idiots who can’t drive properly with really expensive cars. I’ve lost count of the amount of BMWs and Audis Ive overtaken, have done a few Porsches in the past aswell – and I drive an old Civic!”

Did those idiots know they were in a race?! 🙂

klunky
    Free Member

Bwaarp – Where do you purchase your clothes from? Asda? I sure hope so. The jeans in Asda are no different from Levis. In fact some of them have an elasticated waist so you don’t even need to have a belt saving even more cash!
    Im guessing you purchase your shoes from the local bowling alley? When they replace the hire shoes you can probably pick up a slightly used set for £5.00. In terms of R&D a bowling shoe is not much different to a shoe from Asda.

Anyway no point going on. Arguing on the internet is lame. Im away to cycle my Carbon santacruz bike to marks and spencer to purchase my lunch.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Its pretty obvious its a race when I’m flashing my lights at them.

Some of them don’t have the right mentality for a fast car though – you’ve got to own the road, not drive like a pussy.

One of my mates who’s got a Scooby never lets anyone overtake him. Saying that, he usually drives fast just to shut his lass up and stop her from twining on at him.

wrecker
    Free Member

My work colleague buys his lunch from M&S and I ALWAYS beat him at eating, and I get mine from Asda! ATGNI!

PJM1974
    Free Member

The reason why there is a £9k Bronson on sale is because there’s an identified market for one. Even if they only sell one…

Some rock stars, bankers or railway executives need expensive toys, right?

Personally, even if I could afford one I still wouldn’t buy one for exactly the same reasons why I wouldn’t buy a Mercedes S600 or a Lamborghini even if I had the cash.

I’d certainly test ride one though, but if I were in the market for a bike at that price point I’d test ride everything I could get my hands on before parting with cash.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀

Bet you don’t even use a knife and fork either!

klunky
    Free Member

Jesus, what kind of ponce uses cutlery? Probably the same kind bourgeois idiot that wants a 9k bike.

wrecker
    Free Member

Bet you don’t even use a knife and fork either!

Knife and fork? I don’t even use my hands. That’s how good I am….

dingabell
    Free Member

When I started this thread I wasn’t berating anyone who has £9k to spend on this bike, good luck to them, I just don’t understand how a bike can physically cost this much? Shimano must be banging out thousands of XTR cranks so they can’t cost so much due to their small scale production surely? I just can’t get past looking at a motorbike with all it’s technology and raw materials, costing less than a push-bike.

mattjg
    Free Member

It doesn’t cost that much. It’s being sold for that much.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Most I can get the bik builder up to is £8259, I can get the alloy version to £7459 with all the upgrades.

The expensive option is the XX1 kit which isn’t everywhere yet. Dropping to XT brings you back to £6000 with the base model back at £4800. This is still up specced from the standard US/World spec as it cames with Hope Hubs, we get cheap shimano on that spec level in the rest of the world.

Certainly over here there are not rooms full of built SC bikes waiting to be delivered like Spec/Trek etc. every part is an option. All SC have done is listed stuff they can get hold of and given it a price. If you spec the brand new top of the line component on every part of the bike it’s going up in price.
    As with the car thing, I can buy one for £500 but i can buy one for £500,000 both do the same, both based on the same principles.

To add to the anger..
    £6000 for a hardtail from specialized
    The Sworks Carbon Stumpjumper comes in at £5600 but only has an XX groupset and no carbon wheels.

Viewing 32 posts - 121 through 152 (of 152 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Bronson. Looks great think I'll buy one……whoa!!!!£££’ is closed to new replies.