Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Santa Cruz Blurs; TR & XC. Hmmmm
  • m1kea
    Free Member

I asked last week about the XC carbons and got positive feedback (thanks very much to all who replied).

This afternoon I had a chance to try a medium TRc for an hour in them Surrey Hills and was pretty impressed.

I’ve not ridden my old S Works FSR this year but the RP23 shock seems to make climbing a bob free non event, or is it both the shock and pivot design? I guess the stiffer carbon frame will be a factor as well?

The medium did feel a little cramped in the cockpit with the fitted 90mm stem though a large frame would most likely need a 70mm stem to offset the longer top tube.

So, questions:

With my limited skills I very much doubt I’d make (full) use of the longer travel of the TRc but a bit of haggling over the demo bike might yield a good price.

Or do I get in to discussions over a XC and focus on it’s potentially better marathon / enduro attributes? I’m more of a distance rider and am a bit of a weight weenie so would like something lighter than the 25lbs my FSR currently comes in at.

Thoughts?

sweaman2
    Free Member

Have you actually ridden an XC? Otherwise hard to compare them? I think, if you were comfortable climbing what you normally ride on a TRc then why not take the slacker angled frame for the additional fun on the descents?

On paper and XC looks the better choice from what you’ve said but if you can get a good deal on a TRc…..

m1kea
    Free Member

Have you actually ridden an XC? Otherwise hard to compare them? I think, if you were comfortable climbing what you normally ride on a TRc then why not take the slacker angled frame for the additional fun on the descents?

No I’ve not had the chance to try a XC and I’m under the impression that these aren’t going to be around for very much longer due to the current preference for 29ers.

Twas also my first time in the Surrey Hills so I didn’t get a like for like comparison with a long twiddlingfest of say a South Downs climb.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The TRC will probably be a more forgiving bike compared to the XC due to the angles. However this comes at a weight/travel penalty. Looks like a cracking bike had a look at one last week – but comparing to an LT

dickie
    Free Member

If your considering a Blur TRc, then maybe also consider a Yeti ASR-5c, similar travel to a TRc & size wise somewhere between a M & L Blur XCc, & a little cheaper, also a 5 year warranty.

Turner DW Flux with a 120mm fork??
    I have one in a large thats just under 25lb with a SID 120mm fork & XT groupset.

kinger

I originally was going to get an XC and run a 120mm fork, but then decided on a TrC.
    Yes, expensive but an awesome bike – can be built up pretty light but, with a change of tyres and a Reverb is very capable for more adventurous riding too.
    Well recommended!

Paceman
    Free Member

No I’ve not had the chance to try a XC and I’m under the impression that these aren’t going to be around for very much longer due to the current preference for 29ers.

I wouldn’t pay that price for a bike that was going out of production imminently.

Have you tried / considered a Tallboy C? It would fit the requirements you describe exactly. Worth a demo at least if you’re considering bikes around that price range. My mate rides an ASR5 and I’d agree with the guy above, that would also fit the bill perfectly and is an absolutely stunning looking bike.

simonbowns
    Free Member

TRc is definitely my favourite bike in the SC range at the mo – we (18 Bikes) have a Large demo if you ever want to try.

What’s your main use going to be?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’ve got an XC which I’ve tried with both 100 & 120mm fork. The 120mm made the bike less fun to ride TBH so I swapped back to the 100. I’m not saying that more travel (ie the TRC) is less fun, it’s just that my bike with 100 is a riot. You can pop it off anything & it’s super agile in techie XC style singletrack. I’ve ridden it in the BC Bike Race, Trans Rockes, Gorrick, CRC & The Bearded Man 3 dayer. It took everything that those races had to offer in its stride & left me cackling like a loon – especially BC Bike Race!

m1kea
    Free Member

Paceman

Sorry, Clown Wheels are for road bikes and I have plenty already !

Simonbowns

I prefer longer distance / faster riding. Had some fun twidling round Stanmer Park near Brighton last year but I also clocked up a fair few miles on the South Downs though only did one race in the form of the Thetford D2D. Mr Sterry’s Triple ride has also got me wondering about finally completing my Double attempt.

Paceman
    Free Member

Paceman
    Sorry, Clown Wheels are for road bikes and I have plenty already !

LOL… fair enough 😉

kinger

I reckon the TrC would fit the bill real well with a lighter build, as well as being able to easily change into a more aggressive build if needed.

simonbowns
    Free Member

I think I’d agree with kinger – a more modern, versatile frame – really bloody light and a hell of a lot of fun.

if you’d like to try ours (or other SC bikes, we have a demo day on 30th June) just give me a shout at the shop? info@18bikes.co.uk

m1kea
    Free Member

Cheers Simon but you’re waaay oop norf 😆 from me plus the 30th is Goodwood Festival of Speed day. (Oops did I mention motorised vehicles on a bike forum?)

dirtyrider
    Free Member

short shock a blur ltc

m1kea
    Free Member

dirtyrider

short shock a blur ltc

Not sure I CBA to rebuild a bike to lessen the travel. However emails have gone out to explore costs of both bikes.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Blurs; TR & XC. Hmmmm’ is closed to new replies.