Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Santa Cruz blind bearing removal
  • scrumfled
    Free Member

So, it seems stif/jungle are out of stock of the removal tool for the suspension pivot.

I guess the options now revolve around either a pilot bearing puller, or a slide hammer system. Anyone got any recommendation?

Davesport

For actual bearing removal….no. The bearings on my Butcher have been serviced in situ by me several times. Dismantle the swingarm/linkage pivots. Remove bearing seals, clean bearings out with Isopropyl alcohol, re-grease & assemble. It’s kept them alive for several years without removal.

D.

zelak999
    Free Member

I’ve just the slide hammer type bearing puller on my Blur LTc in the past with no probs.
    Same story for me, Stif/Jungle where out of stock of the correct tool at the time.

nuke

Could you use the expansion bolt method? Cheap & worked a treat with my Hemlock bearings…i did a guide on this thread

beefheart
    Free Member

For actual bearing removal….no. The bearings on my Butcher have been serviced in situ by me several times. Dismantle the swingarm/linkage pivots. Remove bearing seals, clean bearings out with Isopropyl alcohol, re-grease & assemble. It’s kept them alive for several years without removal.
    D.

How do you remove the seals without damaging them?
    Or do you fit new seals?

Stevelol
    Free Member

Use a sharp pick, they just lift out. Other than that, a slide hammer works well, I have the official puller but it’s quite tosh so bought a hammer anyway.

scrumfled
    Free Member

thanks guys, all useful stuff. Steve, you’ve just confirmed my suspicions there 😉

scrumfled
    Free Member

Quick revisit. the bearings were seized/buggered anyway, i got a cheap slide hammer system on fleabay and had them out inside of 30 mins. Looking at the tools, i think i’d be happier with the slide hammer anyway, its longer so theres more chance of spotting if a bearing is going off-axis.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz blind bearing removal’ is closed to new replies.