Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Sanity check – what would you do differently
  • DaveRambo

Just over a year ago we had new bathrooms put in.

Plumber fitted the stuff, floor people laid a nice vinyl floor and all was well.

Several months later a dark mark appeared on the floor. We blamed the mother in law for dropping something but over a few weeks it grew….

Floor people came in and on visual inspection (no lifting) said it was mould and we had a leak.

Up comes the floor and there is a leak from the screen, plumber says it’s a screen fault.

We get manufacturer in who on inspection says plumber has fitted incorrectly, missed adding silicon to the back of the metal retaining strip, not fixing to the wall properly and missed the soft close bumpers – all explict in fitting instructions (included in report and highlighed as I asked)

I’m clear the screen is fine (having had a long detailed discussion with the manufacturer inspector) plumber has clearly not followed the instructions, he rarely responds to calls, texts and voice messages. Not just now but has always been tricky to get hold of. He agreed to visit 3 weeks ago and failed to turn up and has not responded since.

So.

I sent him an SMS informing him that I was sending a copy of the report and giving him 2 weeks to re-fit the screen. This expires tomorrow with time in hand to account for post delays and him being away.

My plan is to get it re-fitted by the manufacturer installer, get a new floor fitted and send him the bill.
    When he fails to pay it I will take the small claims court route – likely to be £600.

I think I’ve been more than reasonable – what does the STW collective say.
    Am considering writing a ‘don’t use this chap for your plumbing needs’ post ont’ interweb after it’s all done and dusted. Anyone aware of a suitable site ?

wwaswas

Am considering writing a ‘don’t use this chap for your plumbing needs’ post ont’ interweb after it’s all done and dusted. Anyone aware of a suitable site ?

Alistair might…

scotroutes

what would you do differently

Post this in the right forum

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

what would you do differently
    Post this in the right forum

😆

project
    Free Member

Seems like the plumber is at fault, cant have to much sealant in a bathroom,its a fit and forget room, when the vinyl is removed, just hope the flooring below is timber floor boards or green coloured chipboard, if its white/creamish then its not waterproof and will also need replacing.

Worked in a house and the chipboard under the bath was interior stuff not waterproof and a leak had made it swell massively, the only thing supporting the bath was two cross members across the top of the chipboard onto the joists supporting the whole bath

nickc

Sort out the issues, then move on with your life.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Sanity check – what would you do differently’ is closed to new replies.