Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sanity check – tablet as a sat nav.
  • wwaswas

I have a version of Co-Pilot sat nav software that allows me to enter vehicle dimensions and max speed so I can get routes that the motorhome will fit down and it’ll calculate proper arrival times.

In the motorhome my phone is a fair way from me and not always easy to read at a glance.

So I thought I’d use the built in ‘clipboard’ thing in the dash to hold my tablet (I’ll add a small shelf with a lip at the bottom to keep it steady).

Given it won’t really come off the edge of the clipboard thing and isn’t in my line of site I think this will be ok for visibility.

What does STW think?

(this pic is taken from a lower angle than I’d be at driving.

DrP

can you still facebook and crossy road on it at that angle? Maybe have in in the centre of the steering wheel…

DrP

stumpy01

Looks fine to me – not that far removed from a lot of built-in sat navs from a positional point of view.

Presumably you have off-line mapping, so don’t need a SIM for data?
    How about GPS? Not all tablets have GPS built-in; well, they didn’t when I bought my LG.

northernmatt

We have those clipboard things in our work vans, I find them really annoying in the up position. Can you not remove it altogether and sort out some form of housing for a tablet, you could then run a power cable behind the dash rather than have wires trailing around the cockpit.

Edit: I didn’t think it was this easy but google found this

wwaswas

northernmatt – that’s what I’m trying to achieve – the one you link to would fit a Fiat too but is for the model after the one I have so not sure it’ll fit mine (which is 2006).

Did have a look but I think tablets weren’t a thing 10 years ago so OE holders aren’t available.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Any way of mounting a phone in that cuddy below the clipboard?

Surprised that manufacturers spend millions on in car entertainment/communication/navigation consoles, when all most people probably want is a holder for their phone and a jack connection (or bluetooth).

wwaswas

I currently run the phone from a holder clipped to the fresh air vent you can see there – it’s more than an easy arms reach away/not that easy to read when I’m sat back in the drivers seat so not really good having anything too much further way that doesn’t have a bigger screen TINAS – the gear stick is in the picture below the radio so Tablet would be blocked by that and I don’t want it too far out of my line of sight really.

[edit] sorry ‘cubby’ below the clipboard is the radio with the face off.

ninfan
    Free Member

these are your friend

P-Jay
    Free Member

You could probably use something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-360-Rotating-Car-CD-Slot-Holder-Mount-Stand-For-7-10-Tablet-PC-Tab-/322466641040

It seems to attach to the air vents rather than the screen which would help.

using a 7″ that’s not in front of the windscreen shouldn’t be any more distracting than a OE sat nat, some of them are quite large now.

wwaswas

Bit of cable ducting and two self tapping screws…

Milkie
    Free Member

Have a Google of “Nexus 7 car sat nav”. There are loads of guides and ROM’s for using it as a Sat Nav/ICE device.

CountZero

Surprised that manufacturers spend millions on in car entertainment/communication/navigation consoles, when all most people probably want is a holder for their phone and a jack connection (or bluetooth).
    Most do, either under the dash in the centre console, or under the centre armrest, where there’s usually a 12v aux power socket and at least one USB port, the same are often alternatively under the dash, or in the glovebox.
    As I use my phone as my satnav every day, the ports/sockets below the dash are ideal, ones inside the armrest are fine if you only need a BT connection, but are a pain if you need to connect a phone that’s sitting in a screen mount.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Sanity check – tablet as a sat nav.’ is closed to new replies.