Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Sanity check needed – rear 10mm skewer
  • kevj
    Free Member

Right, I’m in the process of building up a 2011 Turner Flux and managed to buy a set of Easton Havens for a very good price. The spec stated 10x 135 rear. When the wheelset arrived, the ID was indeed 10mm so I went looking for a skewer/ bolt to suit. This on the Silverfish website seemed exactly what I needed and I placed an order. On receipt, it’s just an ordinary OD skewer and although it all fits together, there is a clear annulus between the skewer and the hub.

So, having only had old school QR or dedicated bolt through which was supplied with the frame, is this item correct? Is the gap okay, or will I die a horrible death?

hatter

DT Swiss do thru axles that fit into standard dropouts, 9mm front and 10 mm rear

LINK

jimw
    Free Member

Superstar do an axle as well. Heavier, and in my opinion having tried both, not as secure but much cheaper

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/10mm-rear-qr-through-axle.htm

kevj
    Free Member

Thanks Hatter. I’d looked at the DT Swiss axle, it’s just I’ve received the Easton Skewer and hoped to finish the build before Christmas. That said, I have doubt in my head so will probably get one anyway before I ride the bike.

shifter
    Free Member

That looks like a normal skewer so it’s not right. Needs to be bigger or it won’t sit properly in the drop out.
    Mine’s from Superstar.

kevj
    Free Member

Jimw,

Out of stock! Which is a real shame as I’ve seen ordered a narrow wide chainring from SS today.

kevj
    Free Member

Shifter,

I thought they had simply used a stock image as the spec states 10×135, but is is just a standard diameter skewer, hence my question on here.

ThePinkster

Superstar have got their Ultralight 10mm thru-axles in stock.

jimw
    Free Member

those ultralight ones are nearly as light as the DT swiss ones,

kevj
    Free Member

Brilliant! The ultralight one is in stock and comes in silver too. Top notch work STW!

CRC advertise the DT Swiss one at 33quid, but alas, not in stock.

bruneep

should have a DT swiss in garage if you still want one

kevj
    Free Member

I’ve just placed the order with SS for the Superlight bruneep, but thank you for the offer. I would have taken you up on it too.

bruneep

no worries

shandcycles
    Free Member

Does the 2011 Flux really have thru-axle drop-outs? Isn’t it just old school 135x10QR? So the skewer you ordered should be absolutely fine (assuming you have the 135X10 hubs and not the 142×12?).

When the wheelset arrived, the ID was indeed 10mm

I think you have a 12×142 hub and a 135×10 frame.

kevj
    Free Member

Shandcycles,

Here is the listing on EBay:

Easton Haven

It states 10×135 and the drop out and ID share the same diameter when I offered them up, but I’ll check again tomorrow.

The rear came with an adapter for both 135 and 142 width. They fit the frame with no flex of the rear swingarm.

shandcycles
    Free Member

the drop out and ID share the same diameter

Do you mean ID? ID is ‘inside diameter’. If the OD (outside diameter) of the axle is 10mm and seats into the frame dropout then the skewer you ordered is the correct one (again, assuming the frame is setup for 135×10). Don’t get confused between skewer and axle. They do different things. The fit of the skewer you have will be loose through the axle but when under tension, will stop the axle dropping out of the frame. With a thru-axle system the retention device and axle (that runs through the bearings) is the same part. In this system, there is a much closer fit when fitting the axle in the hub.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

i bought the same wheels,

i use this, and it bolted up fine in my standard QR dropout frame,

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dt-swiss-rws-thru-bolt-alloy/rp-prod81162

granny_ring

Bruneep, pretty sure I’ll take the skewer if going and OP has passed on it.
    Can you email me some pics and price please?
    Thanks.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Sanity check needed – rear 10mm skewer’ is closed to new replies.