Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Sandstone way – possible on a CX bike?
  • wonnyj
    Free Member

As per title, planning to do the sandstone way in Northumberland with my dad and brother. My bro has a road bike only, so I’m going to lend an MTB to him .

Will I be ok on CX or should I take my old trail bike instead?

Genesis fugio or 2010 orange 5.

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s nothing technical so I’d choose the Genesis over the Orange

scotroutes

2010. Was that not when an Orange 5 was an XC bike? I didn’t think trail bikes had been invented back then. If so, then that should be fine.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Well you’re probably right. Offset bushings and short stem though so it’s basically an enduro weapon now.

We’re doing a slow and steady pace, over 4 days, so I may just take the orange

paul4stones

My son and I did the bit between Hexham and Bellingham on CX bikes. We live at that end and it was before it was officially opened. It was fine. There’s a thread on here somewhere with some pics if you search. I reckon an Orange 5 would be over the top unless you wear full body armour.

jonba
    Free Member

Yes, it’s possible.

It is quite rough in places but there was nothing to really trouble a cx bike. If you are doing it over 4 days then it shouldn’t be too demanding in terms of miles so you might have more fun on the mountain bike. I felt a bit battered doing it on a cross bike. We thought it would be smoother (more like C2C) and wanted the speed of CX bikes to get it done in a day. Hindsight says my 29er HT with some fast tyres would have been better.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Sandstone way – possible on a CX bike?’ is closed to new replies.