Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Sandstone Way
  • karlp
    Free Member

I’m interested having read the article in this month’s mag & looked the website.
    Be keen to hear from those who have ridden.
    2 days vs 3 days?
    Seems xc orientated ie easy but long ride.
    North to South or vice versa?
    Hired transport to or from Hexham an issue?
    Thx in advance.
    Karl.

smashit
    Free Member

I’ve done it 6 times now! Once solo and 5 times guiding groups!

Always Nth to Sth. The wind is occasionally against you but the trails flow better.

Not sure of best diy transfers, maybe the train might work.

2 days is a fairly solid challenge of around 100km/day. 3 days is a good comfortable trip for reasonably fit riders.

I enjoy the route, in an old-fashioned mtb-touring sort of way. Remote areas, great views and hardly a soul along most the route. A few fun singletrack sections as well.

karlp
    Free Member

Smashit (ironic?),
    Thx for response.
    Sounds like what we a hoping for re mtb touring route.

whitestone
    Free Member

Did last year on the August BH going Sth – Nth. Left car in station car park at Berwick and got train to Hexham (sprinter on Newcastle to Hexham so only two bikes allowed). Did a mid-afternoon session from Hexham then all day Saturday and finished Sunday AM. Just checked my Strava activity and we were just under 16hrs riding time, I’d say our pace was steady rather than pushing it. We carried bivvy gear and brew kit along with some food for the evenings.

I think it’s better signed for Nth – Sth as we missed a few turns, we didn’t have the specific Sandstone Way map until we managed to buy one in Rothbury. The route is slightly different in places depending on which direction you do it (st Cuthbert’s Cave is one I can think of) so you can’t just reverse the GPX files (unless there are now some specific S-N ones.

There’s some parts that are definitely better after a dry spell. There’s not that much on the route for restocking: Bellingham, Rothbury, Wooler, filling station where you cross the A1 is about it really. I didn’t find it remote but then I grew up in the country so maybe my idea of remote isn’t being further than a couple of miles from the shops. It’s definitely old-skool cross-country mountain biking rather than trail centre riding.

Edit: Make sure you get the map before you start! It makes things a lot easier as the signage is basically small stickers on the occasional gate post.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I rode it last year solo, it was brilliant.

I worried I’d struggle over a weekend so drove up on Friday to Hexham after work, rode until it got dark stopping just before Bellingham.

The following day it was blowing an absolute gale, I got to St cuthberts cave and stayed there as I felt it would be more sheltered than being nearer the coast. It meant I stopped earlier than I would have done.
    Had a fun night biviing in the cave, the ride in the morning to Berwick was ace. Got there for lunch then got the train back to Hexham then drove back to Sheffield

Was quicker than I thought it would be 🙂

Some pics here https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153395525927442.1073741850.652217441&type=1&l=6d990e6d90

karlp
    Free Member

Thx both. Will purchase the maps & GPS files.
    Adjustablewench great photos. You are right, vest & arm warmers is an interest look! Chapau for the solo ride.

jonba
    Free Member

Logistics wise you can get a fast train from Newcastle to Berwick and a slow one from Hexham to Newcastle. You need to book bikes on the one to Berwick. You could leave the car in Newcastle, get an early train up to Berwick, ride down over however many days then get the train back to Newcastle.

FWIW, I live in Newcastle, got the first train up to Berwick, then rode to Hexham and back to Newcastle in a very long day [/willy waving]. It is about 25 miles from Hexham to Newcastle and there is option to do it on quiet roads (coast to coast route). You could easily ride it if you did the route over 3 days.

Not sure on where to leave a car. I think Hexham might be better than Newcastle. Can offer advice on routes between Hexham and Newcastle. Might even be able to make a fair bit of it off road…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I live in Hexham, I’ve ridden a there-and-back as far as Bellingham one evening last winter, keep meaning to get the first train up to Berwick one saturday morning and ride home, but I’ve not got round to it yet.

If you need somewhere secure to park your car in Hexham, let me know and I can advise (its a fairly safe little town). I’d offer my driveway but I live up the hill from town and it’ll be a killer to finish with!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Sandstone Way’ is closed to new replies.