Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • sanding, prepping and staining a wooden floor – how much should it be?
  • Pook

10′ x 12′ ish. Floorboards are in ok nick

hora
    Free Member

Preparation is key- completely seal off the doorway with plastic sheeting.

Wear a PROPER mouth piece not those paper things from B&Q. I’m sure I’ve shortened my life a fair bit sanding doors down that had nitromores on previously.. high as a kite.

Check and recheck for nail heads etc- centre punch them down to under flush. Recheck again- you’ll be guaranteed to find one whilst actually sanding.

Pook

thanks for completely not answering my question.

bradley
    Free Member

Crying.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Pook we have parquet floors (the old 60’s small finger ones) for a living room / dining room / ladning area and study ( say about 700 sq ft roughly) we were quoted around 2400-2700k… the floor we inherited is in a state, this is much cheaper than what the builder wanted.

oh we’re in the SE

Junkyard
    Free Member

not sure but seriously your child is way to young to undertake such a heavy manual task and in all reality probably lacks the skill to do a proper job

I think we know which way this thread is going 😉

Pook

Quiet you!

Anyway, he’s busy mowing the lawn.

footflaps

I did a floor that size with a Rotek sander. Took me 8 hours.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/o2Cwg6]Sanding the floor[/url] by brf, on Flickr

And no dust as the Rotek has fantastic dust extraction straight into the Festool vacuum…

scousebri
    Free Member

£600 PLUS vat.

wwaswas

footflaps – only problem now is that you can’t move any of the furniture or pot plants as you didn’t do underneath them?

warton
    Free Member

we pay about 250 per room, about that size. very good job too. If you’re in the North East I can pass on details…

Pook

I’ve been quoted circa £270 so i’m in the ball park. Cheers

footflaps

footflaps – only problem now is that you can’t move any of the furniture or pot plants as you didn’t do underneath them?

Well I wasn’t sure how well it would work, so was expecting to just do one bit at a time, but the sander was quicker than I thought, so ended up doing the whole room in the end. Did two passes one at 60 grit and then one at 180 grit.

wwaswas

That was more refinishing a well laid floor though – on original floorboards you need to take a hell of lot more material than just the surface finish and those industrial belt sanders are worth the time, mess and money to use for that.

crankboy
    Free Member

two days hard work £70 hire £50 materials to diy it for me so £270 for the job seems like money well spent.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘sanding, prepping and staining a wooden floor – how much should it be?’ is closed to new replies.