Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Sanderson Soloist – Opinons
  • swoosh
    Free Member

Sanderson Soloist. anyone riden one? or either the Life or Breathe as i beleive they are based on exactly the same geometry?

How does the EBB lock? Is it just loosen the gold rings rotate the EBB and then tighten up the rings? If so, that sounds like it might be a really good solution to the EBB issues that my mates have found with the one on the Love/Hate.

hora
    Free Member

I owned the 853 and the weld/frame quality was very impressive TBH.

swoosh
    Free Member

what was the ride like?

hora
    Free Member

I didnt have the frame for long- I dont usually with any! 🙄 but it was a comfy ride (not noodly though) and the top tube did come up quite long- longer than I expected looking at the figures. It was definitely reassuring though.

myth
    Free Member

It is a real simple EBB system, and as you thought it is a case of tightening the gold lock rings. On the actual EBB there is 2 holes, which you use a pin tool to rotate the EBB into the correct position, then lock the left side followed by the right side. With the frame you do get the tool to tighten the lock rings.
    What area do you live regards sorting a possible ride and how tall??

swoosh
    Free Member

myth – Member
    It is a real simple EBB system, and as you thought it is a case of tightening the gold lock rings. On the actual EBB there is 2 holes, which you use a pin tool to rotate the EBB into the correct position, then lock the left side followed by the right side. With the frame you do get the tool to tighten the lock rings.
    What area do you live regards sorting a possible ride and how tall??

All very useful info myth. do you also get the pin tool for rotating the ebb? I’m in Nottingham, and 6 foot tall.

myth
    Free Member

swoosh – I’ve got a 20" soloist which should be ok for your size, if you want to meet up somewhere maybe Cannock, you’d be more than welcome to have a couple of hours on it. You dont get the pin tool with the frame.

rolfharris
    Free Member

I’ve used one for quite a while- a Breath, though. I was very impressed by the ride. The TT is quite long- I’d run a shorter stem or even go down a size. Very capable downhill- I really enjoyed it, especially for a bike with only 4" travel.

swoosh
    Free Member

rolf, is it only designed around a 100mm fork then? damn, i thought i might get away with a 120mm in there.

swoosh
    Free Member

myth, i’ll have to let you know about trying yours out. i might be at Cannock at end of February, if so, i’ll let you know about trying yours out for size. Reckon the medium (18") would be what i go for anyway, but would be nice to know for certain.

Anthony
    Free Member

How much are they and where stocks them? They do look rather nice.

myth
    Free Member

Swoosh – no probs just let me know, my mate has a life in 18" so could try and get him out on the same day so you can see the difference in size. You would get away with running 120mm fork on them.

rolfharris
    Free Member

I think it’d handle 120mm fine, just the one I had 100mm ‘Zocchis on it.

swoosh
    Free Member

myth, have you had any problems with the EBB on the Sanderson? its very different to the Phil Woods one isnt it. how reliable would you say it is? My concern with the phil woods one is that once the tapered screws mark once, you have to turn it quite a long way otherwise the screws will just revert back to the original position and you have a slack chain again.

devoid_punk
    Free Member

EBB’s are always a compromise. The ‘pointy bolt’ (or even ‘unpointy bolt’) type are tricky to fine-adjust, and can slip, and the bolts can rust or strip. The ‘wedge’ type can jam – and all types need tools and fiddling to adjust chain tension. All EBB’s are water traps. I had a GT Peace that was trouble, and a mate has a Charge Duster SS that has also proven problematic. The ’09 Peace has no EBB, but track ends instead. The change is obviously due to trouble with the EBB.

The best EBB design is where the BB shell is split all the way across, and has two pinch bolts weded on. These lock nice and firm, are easy to adjust, and the slot drains the water out. Also, the clamping action is closing the shell together around the insert, rather than forcing it apart like the other systems. Old tandems used to be done like this, but no stock mtb frame seems to be. My mate’s going to get his Charge converted to the split shell system when it needs a respray. He’ll get stainless pinch bolts brazed on by a frame builder.

I like track ends or sliding drop outs. Easy to adjust, and the most you need in the way of tools (for sliding drop outs) is a common-sized Allen key. Genesis io and On-One Inbred have nice, plain track ends. Kona Unit has great sliding drop outs, but the Unit will only take a short fork.

phildowling
    Free Member

Loved mine, had no problems with EBB, found the bike great fun for quick blasts and longer enduros.

Mines for sale at the mo as my new 69er arrived but would highly recomend it

swoosh
    Free Member

phil, how much you wanting for yours? and what size is it?

martyntr
    Free Member

http://www.mtb-wales.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=21735

May be a little small for you having read your responses above. May be worth speaking to the owner though..

martyntr
    Free Member

Phil – i think that’s your bike is it ? LOL..

sorry mate.

swoosh
    Free Member

yeah, probably too small for me. how has the EBB stood up the bad weather Phil? has it collected water as devoid suggested and if so, how often would you recommend opening it up to empty it?

phildowling
    Free Member

Cool quality plug for me there! EBB has been fine no problems, had a Rig before that slipped a few times but have been very impressed with the Sanderson.
    Last time i spoke to Tony(independent) through work he was looking at ordering another batch of 100.
    i’m 5’8 btw with a 30in leg so possibly stretch a few more inches on the small frame

alpin
    Free Member

have the breath. been running u-turn revs. 100mm on the up then out to saggy 130mm on the downs. no probs.

have small and tt is 23". started off with 90m stem which was fine on the climbs but a bit hariy going down anything steep. then changed to 40mm stem. worked well.

now swapped over to a 15/21" alpine and i notice the tt difference but wouldn’t have done otherwise.

why not buy geared frame and run it solo? seems a waste otherwise (to me that is)

J
    welds are very well finished and drop outs are v.nicely done.

swoosh
    Free Member

phild – not sure the small will stretch as far as a 6 foot streak of wee with 33" legs.

alpin – i’m currently running a geared bike with a tensioner and was hoping to move away from that set up if i could. I suppose i could get the breath or pipedream sirius with an on-one orange wheeled doofer couldnt i. worth thinking about, save money too.

swoosh
    Free Member

devoid_punk – Member
    The ’09 Peace has no EBB, but track ends instead. The change is obviously due to trouble with the EBB.

anyone know if the Peace frame can be bought seperately? and if so where from?

swoosh
    Free Member

no one know if the Peace can be bought as a frame only then?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Sanderson Soloist – Opinons’ is closed to new replies.