Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Sandblasted Beach Race
  • dickydutch

Sandblasted Beach Race

Anybody going to this? Looks like it could be pretty good….

eddie11
    Free Member

Possibly. I’m wondering how traily the trails are to help answer the inevitable ‘what tyre for…’ question

joemmo
    Free Member

I did a CX race there and it was gravelly and grassy / muddy. The beach bit will of course be sandy. Generally the mid to north end of Druridge has quite hard packed and flat sand once the tide has gone out but depending on how stormy it’s been you can get channels, soft bits and big puddles forming too.

Tldr – fit the widest tyre you have.

Good luck!

eddie11
    Free Member

Overthinking Says crossbike for riding for miles on sand into headwinds but gut says just take a bloody mountain bike

boxelder

Any bike will be fun/fine. The sand’s firm and the park trails, from what I’ve seen are fast hardback/firm grass. Tailwind along the beach would be fun

Tldr

You wrote it 🙂

tazzymtb

There will be quite a few singlspeed idiots on totally the wrong set up, so don’t over think, just arrive and have fun…..there may be an informal fireworks n beer thing on the night before as well 🙂

boxelder

You planning something tazzy? I’ll not be racing, but I’ll be on SS I reckon.

tazzymtb

Boxelder yep we’re planning for something, will let folks know if anyone fancies pottering along for a beer and seeing how many rude words we can make with sparklers etc.. 🙂

boxelder

Grit.CX

Just £5 now, with free camping. Bargain fun.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Me and my brother are in.

Probably a silly idea, but I’ve signed up for the fat bike class! Was just waiting for an excuse to race on the Dune TBH… Still feel the karate monkey would have been a better choice.

boxelder

Anyone travelling to this from Cumbria/the West?

wilsation
    Free Member

Still feel the karate monkey would have been a better choice

Im doing it on my Karate monkey, just fitted the 27 plus wheels today. say hello if you you see a purple one.

initialised

I guess it’s a bit late now but – Tyre/Bike choices????

I’m looking for some advice on tyre and bike choice for sandafter signing up to Sandblasted.

CX running 2.1 Thunderburt front & 34mm Tracer rear.

Hardtail (120mm fork) with either 29ers with Panaracer Gravelking SK 40mm or 26ers with Ground Control 2.1 Front & FastTrack Rear.

Full Suss (130mm f/r) Bont XR4 2.4, Gravel king SK 40mm or Thunderburt 2.1

Or some other mix of the above I haven’t thought of…

eddie11
    Free Member

I’ll tell you after tomorrow. I’ve no idea. I just hope i keep my sense of humour finding out. it’ll be a long old day if you get it completely wrong.

joemmo
    Free Member

Weather couldn’t be better for this. Look forward to hearing what it was like

eddie11
    Free Member

Well that was brilliant. The beach riding was great fun and the on shore stuff was a nice mix of cyclocross fields and some nice trail blue level type stuff, bit of cheeky elevation gain too. Went off far too hard as i was having too much fun and have never bonked so hard, ate ALL the food in the cafe, but it was still great.

Started off a bit nippy. A lovely day in land but a bit of cloud at the coast but that burnt off by the start. Roughly even split of cross bikes, racy 29ers and fat bikes. Real mix of bikes in the top ten so it showed it was the legs that mattered most.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Im doing it on my Karate monkey, just fitted the 27 plus wheels today. say hello if you you see a purple one.

wilsation – I didn’t see your post before the race, was nice to have a quick chat though (before I was blowing too much to talk or keep up!) The KM looked well nice with plus tyres.

That headwind on the beach was a killer, I’m just glad it was on the shorter section of sand, rather than the longer one!

Was a great race, hope it comes back next year. 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Sandblasted Beach Race’ is closed to new replies.