Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • San Juan Trail, SoCal (awesome panorama content doodz)
  • BluePalomino
    Free Member

Just got back to Blighty. Planning on moving out there 😀

scaredypants

I’ve ridden that a few times – it is great isn’t it ?!

did you do the loop at the top or just turn round at cocktail/bong rocks ?

(and did you remember to set off early)

here’s a poor photo for you:

BluePalomino
    Free Member

Oh Yes definitely a great ride. Did one of the loops (can’t remember the name) and then came back down the switchbacks that we went up to start. Started off early but it was still hot (warm, according to my 2 local buddies!). Also did it on a Tuesday, so only saw 3 other guys in total. All seemed in their 50’s – 1 started as we did and stormed off and away on a 29er singlespeed – he was on his way back from the loop as we reached cocktail!! – and we were not dawdling. Also met 2 old skoolers on 29ers with birkenstock sandals – ‘no waay maan! – just gotta love those old californian doodz. hehe.

scaredypants

My sister in law lives about 30min drive from the bottom of that ride & we visit for a fortnight every year.

I mostly ride on my own over there (makes the mountain lion thing so much more exciting 😯 ) but I’ve never seen so few others at San Juan, midweek or not. Be careful if you ever do go back, on weekends quite a lot of people do shuttle runs between bottom car park & the campsite up top and then only ride down on their biggish bikes. They tend to wait for the “up” people to reach the cocktail rocks but from about 10am they’ll happily fly down it, armoured up – and it can be pretty narrow as you’ve probably seen.

have you seen these already?:
    geoladders
    Socaltrailriders

BluePalomino
    Free Member

Heard it could get crowded out & the shuttle runs – hence our early morning Tuesday start. Btw we did the Old San Juan loop (clockwise). I was only told about mountain lions once we got to cocktail rock 🙂 As i wrote on an earlier post, the Chilterns just wont be the same again. ps Also did some riding at Aliso park, near Laguna Niguel.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘San Juan Trail, SoCal (awesome panorama content doodz)’ is closed to new replies.