Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • San Francisco – must dos?
  • 2bit

Haight Asbury, Alcatraz, Ghirardellis, Mexican in the Mission, biking in Marin, trams

mattrgee
    Free Member

We’re off to California in April, just thinking about heading over to Yosemite now based on the feedback in this thread. Is it worth hiring a car to make the journey or bus/organised tour type thing?

Thanks.

konagirl
    Free Member

Re visiting Yosemite, it depends on time and budget.

In April, some of the roads will still be closed and some of the main routes may require snow chains to be used. Tours will still go ahead and some campsites will be open. But the half dome walk amongst others will be closed.

It takes a good 4 hours to drive from San Francisco, so most people go for at least one night. But you can do a day tour, with about 3 hours in Yosemite Valley (where the most photographed views are).

If you are trying to stick to a budget, note that campsites and other accommodation might already be booked up, particularly for weekends. The National Park run a reservation system where the April camping sites were released for booking last November/December. NP reservations.

I would say hiring and driving a car in the US is easy and can be cheap and gives you extra flexibility.

holdsteady

if you are into buying cds/vinyl I highly recommend a trip to Amoeba Music in Haight Ashbury near the entrance to Golden Gate Park (and just around the corner from Charlie Manson’s old house. Fantastic records shop in a converted bowling alley – quite often have bands doing free live in-stores gigs.

Usual stuff – Alcatraz, Cable Cars, Golden Gate bridge – there is also an old WW2 submarine near Fisherman’s Wharf you can go in which I really enjoyed. Loads of great bars and restaurants.

Yosemite is fantastic but you would need a few days there, and think it was about 3.5 hour drive from SF.

If you hire a car you can take Highway 1 down the coast – goes all way to LA but Big Sur, Monterey and Santa Cruz all worth a look.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘San Francisco – must dos?’ is closed to new replies.