Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Samsung Smart TV / Netflix
  • jon1973
    Free Member

Just recently started a trial with Netflix. I’m using it through the PS3, but I read that there is an app available for Samsung TVs. I looked through all the available apps on Smart Hub but it’s not there. It was supposed to be available from January ’12, I got the TV a few months before that.

I can’t find a way to do a software update as I though it may just need updating(assumed it would do this automatically).

It’s always plugged directly in to the router and works fine with LoveFilm. Any ideas?

ta

legend
    Free Member

It’s in the apps list on my Samsung BluRay player, so that seems a bit odd 😕

jon1973
    Free Member

I’m sure it just needs an update, but I’m buggered if I can work out how to do that. Can’t see anything on line that doesn’t involve using a USB stick and a PC, which seems silly for updating a device that’s connected to the internet. I’m assuming these updates should just happen automatically.

legend
    Free Member

Not sure if this reads across, but on mine from the Home screen > Settings > Support > Software Update

jon1973
    Free Member

Hmm. Under settings it just has a ‘reset’ (back to factory defaults, I assume), and a ‘properties’ which just has serial numbers etc. and a note that it’s regularly updated.

Thanks anyway.

Do not try updating with a USB unless you are 100% confident. I fried my PCB and got stung for £250 to repair it

Cougar

I got one of these the other day.

It’s got an ‘update’ option in the Support menu, and also prompts you as part of the initial setup / tuning wizard. You could run setup again maybe, and just skip all the bits you’ve already done?

grum
    Free Member

I’m probably getting boring going on about this but if you use Netflix it’s well worth trying this.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1689694

The film selection on the Canadian one is so much better.

jon1973
    Free Member

Thanks Couger. I didn’t spot that. However it says there are no updates available (so I must be up to date then) but still no Netflix.

Thanks for the link Grum…I’ll have a look at that.

jon1973
    Free Member

Thanks Couger. I didn’t spot that. However it says there are no updates available (so I must be up to date then) but still no Netflix.

Thanks for the link Grum…I’ll have a look at that.

cranberry
    Free Member

What model of TV is it ?

jon1973
    Free Member

It’s Samsung UE46D5520

cranberry
    Free Member

This http://gonedigital.net/2012/01/12/netflix-arrives-on-uk-samsung-smarttv/ suggests that you might need to do a firmware update to the TV before Netflix can be installed ( separate from updating Smart Hub ).

If that doesn’t work, give Netflix a call and I’m sure they will help you.

Ceebug
    Free Member

I can’t get it on my 46D either

Cougar

As an aside,

I went to watch LoveFilm Instant on my Blu-ray player last night.

What a bloody palaver. Bearing in mind I’ve already set this up once, tied it to my account and so on. Everything’s changed.

So I need to register my BD player online with Sony, which I’ve already done, so it tells me it’s registered when it isn’t. Instructions on Sony’s website tell me where the options are on a TV, which bear no resemblance to the player. Forums suggest I need to ring Sony to get it deregistered. What? No.

Finally sussed that I need a “Sony Entertainment Network” login rather than a “Sony Essentials” login. Then had to import my old account into the new one. Worked out that the registration bit is, intuitively, under “Quoricity” or some such, but had to reboot the player twice to get it to stop throwing an error and give me a code. Once registered, I’d then to go to the website and ‘activate premium content’ (and no, you can’t have my credit card details), then log in to my LF account. Then, finally, the player needs another restart to pick up the registration.

Gods damned thing. I have a LF subscription and a LF-compatible player, why on earth are they so anal about ‘authorised devices’? Whole process took me about 40 minutes, I could’ve torrented the movie (and watched half of it) in the time it took me to get it going.

“Home piracy is killing the movie industry” my eye. Stupid over-convoluted ‘protection’ is driving people to piracy. It shouldn’t be harder to watch something legitimately than illegally, FFS.

SkillWill
    Free Member

Old thread resurrection…

Have the same problem as OP. Have done a firmware update but still don’t see a Netflix app. Samsung UE40D5500. I can get the app to appear if I change my location to US (although it doesn’t work), but then all other apps are US-centric.

Wondered if anyone managed to get it working?

Milkie
    Free Member

Netflix scum… Cropping a bit too much.

I doubt you’ll get it working. The US version will be for US TV’s. Keep fingers crossed Samsung & Netflix sort it out. Or carry on using your PS3 😉

cranberry
    Free Member

Press the Menu button on the remote, select Support -> Software Update -> Online.

Then you might also need to install the latest version of Smart Hub if prompted.

Finally, in Smart Hub go to Samsung Apps -> Video and install Netflix.

SkillWill
    Free Member

Thanks cranberry, tried those things. Turns out they haven’t made the app available for this particular type of TV. Only 700 and 800 ranges apparently 🙁

Think I’ll get one of those Google Chromecasts in a month and send stuff to TV from a tablet.

cranberry
    Free Member

Do the plug in Android computers / Raspberry Pi support Netflix ?

update- seems it might be possible with XBMC ( http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:XBMC_Flicks_-_Netflix_for_XBMC )

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Samsung Smart TV / Netflix’ is closed to new replies.