Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Samsung S8………..
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

………… I’m due / now entitled to an upgrade, currently have the S6 and it’s been faultless for the last 2 years. I’m a fan of the Android OS and am rather drawn to the IP rating of the S8.

I can get it for nowt by staying on my current plan, or stick with the S6 and save £20 per month by not paying for the phone, WWSTWD?

molgrips
    Free Member

I have an S6, and I can’t see much that’s making me want an S8. Just seems to be similar but slightly better. Depends how much you want the £20/m or how much you care about the environmental impact of constant upgrades.

I’d stick definitely if my screen weren’t cracked. I might still, not sure yet.

stumpy01

How much are you paying a month currently?

You mention saving £20/month by keeping the S6, rather than upgrading. But how much more would you save if you kept your S6 & swapped over to a SIM only deal?
    I am paying £13 for 8Gb data, 600 mins & unlimited texts on Three.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Shackleton

I’m in exactly the same position and decided to save £30 by going sim only. I’m not sure the s8 would allow me to send emails any better……

I may get rid of samsungs android implementation though now it is out of contract. That would be an upgrade!

When it dies i’ll look for another phone.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think I may try and fix the screen, then upgrade if I bugger it up.

jimdubleyou

I haven’t bought a phone on “contract” for years.

My “unlimited everything” contract with Three costs £19 a month.

stumpy01

I’ve just bought a Lenovo P2 and am so far very impressed with it.

I was a bit concerned about reports that the camera is a bit rubbish, but I’m pleased with it so far. It is better than the camera on my >4 year old Xperia T.
    I found a vid on YouTube about the camera & a bloke comparing screenshots from the in-camera gallery to screenshots from a third party gallery app.
    It seems that the in-camera gallery doesn’t render the images properly, so they look quite blocky & lacking detail. Looking at the same image in a different app shows that the detail is there, it’s just not displayed correctly in the default viewer.

I have compared images I’ve taken using the default viewer to how they look in Google Photos & Quickpic. There is tons more detail in those apps, so the issue doesn’t seem to be with the camera but the viewer itself.

Bit stupid of Lenovo if this is the case, because there seem to be a lot of people on the forums I’ve looked at who have discounted buying the P2 based on it’s camera performance, when in actual fact the poor performance is a bit of a red herring.

Anyway – going quite off topic – but just putting it out there that the P2 would get my vote….
    Battery easily managing 2 days with reasonably heavy use, almost spilling into 3 days.
    It seems well built & is nice & fast.
    It’s not filled with nonsense bloatware & the pre-installed apps that I didn’t want were removed without issue.

metcalt

I’ve recently been in the same position but with the iPhone 6/7 (in fairness there’s even less on the iPhones to make me want to upgrade), in the end I stuck with my current phone and used the saving to buy a waterproof case for the times when I might need it.

It should last the 12 months of my Sim only contract then I might just go rolling 30 days until it dies completely at which point I’ll upgrade.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

S7 any cheaper? I have one and it’s worth it for the waterproofing alone.

Cougar

I can get it for nowt by staying on my current plan, or stick with the S6 and save £20 per month by not paying for the phone, WWSTWD?

You can’t get it for nowt, that’s service provider marketing at work.
    You can get it for £20/month for the next two years. The question really is, do you want to spend nearly £500 on a new phone?

My HTC One M7 is three years old, a year out of contract. Upgrading to the latest shiny is tempting, but there’s nothing really wrong with it. It lags occasionally (which a factory reset would probably fix) and the battery isn’t as good as it was when it was new, neither of which trouble me sufficiently to want to spend an extra £30 quid a month on top of my talk plan.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Samsung S8………..’ is closed to new replies.