Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Samsung Plasma TV given up….
  • jonnyvegas
    Free Member

Hi all any TV tech heads on here
    My 51 inch 3D plasma just turned on OK last night then went off.
    Unplugged it turned it on it clicked started red light flicking thought it was coming back on then nothing.
    Remote still makes red stand by light work.
    Been told its capacitors ????? Easy kind of fix if you know what’s what or done this before..
    Or unless anyone wants to buy it off me its 5 years old and been used 2-3 hrs per day on average….screen and outers mint.
    Just a tad gutted….
    Thx Jv PS I’m in Barnsley area

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Does the red light flash in a repeating sequence? I got a Panasonic TV that did that and the number of flashes points to a specific fault type, in my case it was the power pack. It would have cost me about £200 to have the power packs replaced but it was only a few days old so was replaced.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Really common in Plasma’s – they draw a lot of power at start up and can kill power supplies.
    My Viera was faultless for 5yrs then started randomly going off.
    £45 power board sorted it.
    Not for the faint hearted though- a LOT of screws and cables.

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

Cheers guys looked on You tube and same old same don’t fancy having a go like ..
    So e bay it is then I guess ….
    Arghhhhhh putty as decent TV served me well bless….RIP

cheekyget
    Free Member

Your lucky ..my Sony screen is starting to go …looks like the picture is ripped around the edges….and it’s only 3.5 years old…..

The TV it replaced was the old skool type…as big as it is wide……..I gave it to my bro in law…and it’s still going strong and that’s 18 years old
    Is t anything made to last anymore!!

Selled
    Free Member

I had the same problem with a Samsung. Same issue you describe with the red led light on the front. We have a TV repair man nearby. He charged 60 to diagnose and replace a blown capacitor.

ironnigel
    Free Member

Give it a go. It is a lot easier than you think. What have you got to lose?

Mine’s a 7-8 y.o. 40″ 40EM something or other. 13 screws hold the back cover on. The first thing you see in the middle is the PSU. 8 screws remove that. Flip it over, the blown cap(s) will have a swollen appearance to the top. Flip back over and de-solder. You will find identifying marks. Google / eBay these. For Evans sake, your local Maplin will probably have them (mine did, and a helpful chap who knew what I was going to use them for. This fix really is that common!)
    Get them thar caps home. You will notice the legs are longer than the one(s) you removed. This is a good thing. Slide the legs into the holes in the PSU board, make sure to observe polarity. For my Samsung there is a ring printed on the circuit board (really normal, helps assembly ops) There is a thick edge to one side of the ring. This corresponds to the polarity stripe on the capacitor. If in doubt compare to other caps installed on the board. Bend the legs – now that extra length makes sense. Solder the cap into place and trim the excess legs.

Refitting is the reversal of removal.

murf
    Free Member

Get in touch with Samsung and complain. I bought a broken Samsung with a view to fixing it myself but found through Google it was a common fault.
    I emailed Samsung who asked me to drop it off at their local approved repair centre, a week later got it back fixed fully and for no charge!
    It was 2nd hand and 4 years old at that point!

ironnigel
    Free Member

Oh, the new capacitor cost me £1.30. Was Maplins mind you, so quite spendy. Just wanted the telly fixed.

jwt
    Free Member

PSU capacitors can stay charged in fault conditions so be very careful, could be up to 350V DC & can be painful if it discharges through you. If you’re not sure or haven’t the equipment to check then leave it to others (IMHO).

FuzzyWuzzy

I changed the capacitors myself in my previous Samsung TV, I’m crap at all things DIY & electronics but even I managed it. It was a while ago but think the capacitors were only a couple of quid each and £10 for a soldering iron (think was all from Maplin). I actually had to do it twice as replaced the obviously blown capacitors first and it worked fine for 6 months or so then the others went (6 or 8 of them in total from what I remember) so I’d say you may as well replace them all in one go. The TV’s still working a couple of years later at my GF’s…

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

Cheers all gonna dive in later this week as need to get all revved up lol
    Will let ya all know if it’s a go go or blow blow he he

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Samsung Plasma TV given up….’ is closed to new replies.