Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • samsung mobiles
  • elaineanne
    Free Member

Ok just browzing the o2 shop today..
    I quite like the samsung galaxy s3…. Anyone got one and happy with it..whats the battery situation like..i currently have a htc ryhme, its alright but not overly happy with it.lol.. in the past ive always had samsung fones and regret not upgrading to stay with samsung…but at the time of upgrading for me..there werent any new samsung fones around, so went with htc….unfortunately im stuck in a 2 year contract…had my fone for a year….whats the earliest you can come out of a contract….i guess im stook for a while then..lol.

youngrob

I’ve got one. Really like it. Battery is poor and needs charged daily possibly more depending on what you do. The camera and screen are really good. Overall, I much prefer it to the iphone 4 it replaced.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Screen Great
    Set Up Great
    Battery life better than expected, the newer updates have helped.
    Generally I only use GPS when I need GPS (the location from the towers is fairly good) settings to auto.
    Charge once per day unless it’s a hectic work day.
    The battery use app is good to.

elaineanne
    Free Member

Yeah i dont think any fones hav masterd the battery life yet.so annoying..ive bought lots of new batteries for samsung in the past
    And you always end up with no power left at the end of a day…my htc rhyme battery is built into my fone..i just hope it survives another ten months. I only get one day out of my fone…someone needs to come up with a brainwave on saving battery power…its the screen which takes up most of the power….lol wonder how these new bigger fones go on like the galaxy note…huge screen.lol.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not heard much about replacing batteries – 6 months in still as good as new. The secret with the bigger phones is more room for bigger batteries.

Pieface

I like my S2, not as fast / big as the latest models but more than adequate for most things and is just the right compromise on the size front for being useful and pocket friendly.

Battery life is a bit of a bummer – needs charging daily.

Best thing is that its relatively cheap and all the bits are redaily replaceable and cheaply (e.g. screen, casing)

You could buy yourself out of your contract but it would mean paying the rest of what you owe on the contract up front. You should be able to buy a handset 2nd hand and just pop your SIM in it if you have the right networks / phones.

CountZero

People make ever more whizzy phones, with ever more fancy features, and bigger screens, which require bigger backlights, and the customers want the phones to be ever thinner and lighter, then bitch about the batteries dying after a day… 🙄
    Here’s a clue, look on the interwebz for 5500mAh batteries with dual USB ports, and buy one.
    Then stop whining.

jon1973
    Free Member

Here’s a clue, look on the interwebz for 5500mAh batteries with dual USB ports, and buy one.
    Then stop whining

Someone needs an early night tonight 😉

cookeaa

S2 here battery isn’t great if you keep WiFi, BT, data and GPS on all the time I can get 2 days out of it with sensible power saving measures. And I keep an spare battery in my wallet to be on the safe side…

I’ve got a couple of friends with S3’s I find them too big to be useful as an actual phone, you might as well buy a tablet IMO, both complain about battery life as well.

singlecrack
    Free Member

How about the Galaxy s3 mini

aphex_2k
    Free Member

S3 Great phone to tweak and try new roms. I’m running Omega v42 and dual boot with CM10.1 using a custom kernel. Geeky. Very geeky. Probably one of the best phones out there at the moment. Upgrade the battery to a Mugen Power (2300 as opposed to the 2000 Samsung) and I get a day of use (a day like up to 24 hours, not a working day). Great camera.

Or hang on a month or so as Samsung are soon to be announcing the octo-core (I sh!t you not) S4 so deals on S3’s will be a-plenty.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

S2 here battery isn’t great if you keep WiFi, BT, data and GPS on all the time I can get 2 days out of it with sensible power saving measures. And I keep an spare battery in my wallet to be on the safe side…

Any device would struggle with that!!

Not used BT in years, only have wifi on when I can use it as there are so many pay for hotspots that flag up as open it’s not worth bothering about. GPS only for strava and nav really.

S3 is only big for a few days then it’s normal – and battery fine

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

I’ve got the s3 mini, great phone, not a quick or powerful as the s3, but it’s no where near as big.
    If it’s a bigger screen your after then the note2 might be worth looking at.
    Battery life depends on usage, gps, games, and internet usage will drain the life on all phone batteries.

stufive
    Free Member

I went from iphone 4s to galaxy s3 its def the best phone ive ever had,ive always charged my phones at night but i dont find the battery any worse than any other phone ive had

w1zard
    Free Member

Had an S3 for quite some time now. I’d be hard-pushed to find fault with it, and that’s probably a first in all the phones I have owned.

Battery does only last a day with heavy use and all the radios switched on, but it’s a big phone with a powerful processor, so it is to be expected. Most people charge nightly anyhow, but if you really want more life you can get a spare battery.

buck53

Biggest battery saves on my s3 are turning the screen brightness down when indoors (done from the pull down to menu, so not a pain) and leaving it on power saving mode 99% of the time.

You don’t need the full power of the phone for the vast majority of tasks and the screen is more than bright enough on quarter brightness for most conditions. As above turning off anything you’re not using helps too, as does an app called Carat.

Get a day out of mine with ease, even if I rinse it.

monkeyboyjc

Ive got an s3 (typing on it now). Its a great phone, ive had no problems with it in the last 8months or so.
    My only negative comment would be its a little too big to use one handed, ive got small hands which doesnt help.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Best thing I’ve found to prolong the battery a bit is to turn off sync, switch to 2G and turn off automatic screen brightness.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ve had an S3 for about a month now and am really pleased with it. No problems at all and the battery lasts me pretty well. At least a day of heavy use and a few days if I’m not at work.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

S3 is really good, however since the recent jb update mine keeps freezing drandomly.

No idea what it is, been told to delete all apps and download 1×1. Aphex if you can shed any light on the issue it would be appreciated as it is cocking up my strava files.

bruneep

Best thing I’ve found to prolong the battery a bit is to turn off sync, switch to 2G

defeats the purpose of having a smart phone really, I just make sure I have it on charge when possible.

takisawa2

I know you’ve specifically mentioned the Samsung, but I really debated S3 or HTC OneX+ but went for the HTC. Battery life is very good, given its processor & screen size. Can go for two days & I’ve deliberately not turned anything off.
    What about the Note2 ? That’s got a huge battery.

elaineanne
    Free Member

yeah well 02 said i cud buy myself out but id have to cough up 179 quid..lol…mite just wait a little longer then…. 😉

elaineanne
    Free Member

my htc sense i only get one day out of it and dont continuosly have wii fi or gps on….just seems the norm these days in ‘one’ day battery life lol

Lesanita2
    Free Member

Don’t worry about the battery. It’s a good routine to charge each night.

I love my s3.
    The voice recognition understand me more than humans.
    Text predictions are great. It nearly always offers me the next word as I type.
    Camera amazing. Burst photos v good. Don’t know how many pictures per second, but good for capturing action.
    Must sleep.

_tom_
    Free Member

The text prediction thing works really well for me as well, I thought it would get annoying and give you crap suggestions but it works perfectly and speeds up texting a lot, which I still find a bit awkward on touchscreens!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Yeah i dont think any fones hav masterd the battery life yet.

Motorola Razr Maxx – although harder to find now. 9mm thick and with a 3300mah battery – the S3 has 2100 and the razr i has 2000mah.

I charged mine every 3 days with a fair amount of 3g activity in there – I think I was leaving it on all the time except airplane mode at night for that. Nowadays I only put the 3g on when I want to browse or get emails and get about 160 hours between charges, and then it is around 30% battery.

Not as good a spec as an S3 but plenty good enough.

razr maxx battery life

amazon reviews

And it has Swype as standard, which is quite nice.

Just bought a Defy mini for biking so it fits in the saddle bag, and is IP67 water resistant, the Razr Maxx is resistant but not as good as that.

whatgoesup

I’ve got one – awful battery life to start with, but then I went in and looked at what was using the battery up and it was nothing to do with the core phone functions – it was multiple apps all synchronising continually and waking the phone up to do it (stuff like the photo gallery etc…)

20 mins of switching off “sync” for these apps later and now the battery can last 2-3 days of light use no problem, and now it’s an excellent phone / mini computer.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

ashleydwsmith – Member
    S3 is really good, however since the recent jb update mine keeps freezing drandomly.

No idea what it is, been told to delete all apps and download 1×1. Aphex if you can shed any light on the issue it would be appreciated as it is cocking up my strava files.

After an update or flashing a new rom it’s advisable to restore factory settings and wipe the dalvik cache.

NB this will wipe your phone back to factory default and you will lose apps, texts etc. Back up with Titanium or Carbon to an sd card, remove the sd card then wipe cache/factory reset, then you can reinsert the sdcard, download carbon/titanium and restore your apps and texts.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

markwsf – Member
    I’ve got one – awful battery life to start with, but then I went in and looked at what was using the battery up and it was nothing to do with the core phone functions – it was multiple apps all synchronising continually and waking the phone up to do it (stuff like the photo gallery etc…)

20 mins of switching off “sync” for these apps later and now the battery can last 2-3 days of light use no problem, and now it’s an excellent phone / mini computer.

Which was my point – heaps of apps are constantly looking for updates. You don’t /need/ weather updates every 3 mins, but certain apps do this by default. You /can/ change all your apps to sync every hour or two, or just turn off sync and switch to 2G until you need access to the net/facebook/gmail etc.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘samsung mobiles’ is closed to new replies.